Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
st albans fox

Arsenal Home Pre match Sunday 28th at 12.00 on BT1 @ 11.30am

Six points clear of 5th place. Man City will probably spank West Ham, Man Utd probably edging Chelsea or a draw, either way not bad. Arsenal are absolutely nowhere.

Someone tell me why this is a must win game?

Is it a game that'll offer a greater buffer to 5th place?, absolutely. A must win though? c'mon.

Any team aspiring to finish top four will have to win the majority of their games, naturally, but we've proven over the majority of a season, even with injuries, we can compete, and we'll continue to do so whatever the result here. Keep the faith, no need for such hyperbole of calling this a must win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The arses showed some grit to come back in that 2nd leg match which is more than I can say for our guys. That aboomarang is starting to score for fun too.

cmon Jamie we need you back mate get us some goals pleeeease! 🙏🏽

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Six points clear of 5th place. Man City will probably spank West Ham, Man Utd probably edging Chelsea or a draw, either way not bad. Arsenal are absolutely nowhere.

Is it a game that'll offer a greater buffer to 5th place?, absolutely. A must win though? c'mon.

Any team aspiring to finish top four will have to win the majority of their games, naturally, but we've proven over the majority of a season, even with injuries, we can compete, and we'll continue to do so whatever the result here. Keep the faith, no need for such hyperbole of calling this a must win.

Its a must win not because of the reasons given above. More so we need a response after Thursdays game. If we also lose on Sunday, heads go down and we all (including the players) feel a little deja vu. A good display and a narrow win will do the world of good in terms of confidence. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Its a must win not because of the reasons given above. More so we need a response after Thursdays game. If we also lose on Sunday, heads go down and we all (including the players) feel a little deja vu. A good display and a narrow win will do the world of good in terms of confidence. 

Whilst I understand your points, I still don’t think it makes it a ‘must win’ scenario.

Bournemouth away last season was a fine example of a must win game.

Lose this and there’s still opportunities to pull it back together. When we lost the aforementioned game last season, the injuries, suspension, form, and the run in of the final two games post Sheffield Utd made it extremely difficult to come back from. This is not that.

2 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

I’d take a draw now to be honest. How long is it before the cavalry return? We need them all especially Fofana, Pratt and Maddison. 

I think Fofana and Perez are about a week away. Praet about 3 weeks, I think. Not sure about Maddison. Brendan said they don't know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Not looking forward to this, we have been iffy for a while, but a perfect match for the team to bounce back.

You could make a round trip to Chicago, so you Dont have to look..Not looking forward to it...

Go into 3 months quarantine on your return...Then Enjoy your summer..:twitch:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This will be a tough one (aren't they all at this point?)

They have everyone fit (bar Holding), while there a traffic jam at our sick bay,

Given Maddison's absence...

l would take risks and go with the following lineup. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton

Iheanacho

Barnes

Vardy

Come on Yer Beautiful Foxes! :scarf:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Didn’t press well against slavia at all and kelechi is probably the worst player at pressing that we have, hopefully Perez is back. Desperately lacking a backup to mads at the minute 

But he isn't.

One subpar presser won't cripple us. Madders isn't exactly great at it either, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 1

4-4-1-1 with Iheanacho just off Vardy and Barnes and Ricardo on the wing, although I'm not convinced of Ricardo as a winger long term, I think his movement and ability on the ball makes him a better choice than trying to shoehorn another defensive midfielder in. 

In the selection, we could actually change to a midfield diamond and push up and expose their very whiffy defence.

56 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

This will be a tough one (aren't they all at this point?)

They have everyone fit (bar Holding), while there a traffic jam at our sick bay,

Given Maddison's absence...

l would take risks and go with the following lineup. 

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne

Ndidi

Tielemans

Albrighton

Iheanacho

Barnes

Vardy

Come on Yer Beautiful Foxes! :scarf:

This was the first line up I thought we'd be best playing given the players available.

Also thinking about this as a possibility 

Kasper

Castagne      Evans    Soyuncu    Thomas

Ndidi        Tielemans

Richardo                                       Albrighton 

Barnes

Vardy

50 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Didn’t press well against slavia at all and kelechi is probably the worst player at pressing that we have, hopefully Perez is back. Desperately lacking a backup to mads at the minute 

Perez would struggle to press a flower 🌼

That having been said, I do think behind Vardy is his better position. However, it you want a goal, I think Iheanacho is far more likely to score one. His advantage is that he spends more time on his legs than his arse, he doesn't fall over if there's a breeze. 

I think this Ricardo as a winger lunacy has to end.  He’s clearly far more effective as a fullback, and Thomas isn’t worth playing Ricardo out of position to shoehorn in.  Play Pereira and Timmy, whichever sided you like.

At this point I think Kelechi in the Maddison role is worth trying.  Not remotely convinced it’ll work but the alternatives aren’t attractive.

• Like 4

Just now, Deeg67 said:

I think this Ricardo as a winger lunacy has to end.  He’s clearly far more effective as a fullback, and Thomas isn’t worth playing Ricardo out of position to shoehorn in.  Play Pereira and Timmy, whichever sided you like.

At this point I think Kelechi in the Maddison role is worth trying.  Not remotely convinced it’ll work but the alternatives aren’t attractive.

Although I agree with you, Albrighton has been pretty grim again for several games now and Ünder has been very poor in the few chances he's had recently, so who plays RW?

I like Thomas and Barnes as a partnership so I'd stick with that. 

1 hour ago, foxfan92 said:

This was the first line up I thought we'd be best playing given the players available.

Also thinking about this as a possibility 

Kasper

Ndidi        Tielemans

Richardo                                       Albrighton 

Barnes

Vardy

...shifting Albrighton to the left after become accustomed to the right side is counter productive!!!

He will have to adjust and cut back in order to play with his right foot instead of the instinctive pass first time he receives the ball.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...shifting Albrighton to the left after become accustomed to the right side is counter productive!!!

He will have to adjust and cut back in order to play with his right foot instead of the instinctive pass first time he receives the ball.

He's also seemingly entering a spell of horrible form that we see from him and it renders him and absolute nuisance for us, the problem is we've very little viable alternative. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

True. Also not happy with my suggestion of moving Barnes more centrally when he's done so we out wide.

3rd alternative which amalgamates both those formations to a degree while trying to get players into their best positions (Richardo possibly the exception) is maybe this

Kasper

Ndidi        Tielemans

Richardo                                       Barnes

Inheachio 

Vardy

Also think it was interesting to see BR try Richardo more centrally when he came on. While I feel this is a bit like fitting  square pegs into round holes its maybe something he's considering trying for the Arsenal game ...

Kasper

Ricardo    Evans    Cags       Castagne

Ndidi      Tielemans

Albrighton         Nacho           Barnes

Vardy                     

42 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Although I agree with you, Albrighton has been pretty grim again for several games now and Ünder has been very poor in the few chances he's had recently, so who plays RW?

I like Thomas and Barnes as a partnership so I'd stick with that. 

Brendan is on record saying that having an attacking left back restricts Harvey’s space to operate in as full backs often know he will definitely come inside. pep has shown that a full back doesn’t have to overlap outside .....

because we are playing a ‘top six’ outfit, we may see a selection of experience covering both full back positions. Albrighton may get the nod simply because it’s expected he will cover behind Ricky better than any alternative ....

9 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

True. Also not happy with my suggestion of moving Barnes more centrally when he's done so we out wide.

3rd alternative which amalgamates both those formations to a degree while trying to get players into their best positions (Richardo possibly the exception) is maybe this

Kasper

Ndidi        Tielemans

Richardo                                       Barnes

Inheachio 

Vardy

Also think it was interesting to see BR try Richardo more centrally when he came on. While I feel this is a bit like fitting  square pegs into round holes its maybe something he's considering trying for the Arsenal game ...

...I  did find it a bit strange that he would attempt to use Ricardo that way!!!

He was in effect neutralising an asset instead of stretching the oppositions back line. For the Villa game everything was going through Barnes and although he was good, it was for me overloading a player when the workload should have been shared considering the amount of games Barnes had heavily been involved in.

It is probably an indictment of his views on Ünder that he would choose to take this option of utilising a Fullback in this way. 

9 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

It's a must win game because we sacrificed our place in the Europa league by resting players with this game in mind. 

If we lose this game then it was all for nothing. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say Must Win, although I do think we need a decent performance, just to help the mentality of the players. We don't want them thinking "it's happening again". We want to push on the end of the season so a win would out to bed the poor performance on Thursday. Hopefully BR puts out a team that know how to play together and puts round pegs in round holes rather than trying to shoehorn players in. 

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I  did find it a bit strange that he would attempt to use Ricardo that way!!!

It's happened before. He was utilised for a large part of the 18/19 season in a similar way. 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Brendan is on record saying that having an attacking left back restricts Harvey’s space to operate in as full backs often know he will definitely come inside. pep has shown that a full back doesn’t have to overlap outside .....

because we are playing a ‘top six’ outfit, we may see a selection of experience covering both full back positions. Albrighton may get the nod simply because it’s expected he will cover behind Ricky better than any alternative ....

Barnes has had some of his best performances playing with Thomas though, who seems to know when to stay back and leave Barnes to turn thr opposition inside and out on his own.