Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

3 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Wasn't the Premier league in a nutshell just a renaming of division 1?  It shrunk the league down a bit in terms of number but nothing really changed in terms of actual football.

I'm with others on a breakaway league though.  Just let them go, and if they ever want to come back if it fails etc, make them work up from the bottom like every other team has to.  

The PL was just a league independent of the FL with the ability to make up it's own rules with in the confines of UEFA as a result the FA have little or no influence on the PL. It was down to money they wanted to negotiate their own TV deals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

They still want to be in the PL these games are instead of them competing in the CL.

That was what my last point was referring too. They want the league reduced to accomodate their ability to play these games. They will probably want the scheduling adjusted to tailor their ability to play games that will probably be put on at times to cater to the Asian Market, which is where the money is in this proposed league. 

I think they want the league cup abolished too.

So either the FA cave and give them this OR they hold firm and force them to pick between the two. 

The PL was just a league independent of the FL with the ability to make up it's own rules with in the confines of UEFA as a result the FA have little or no influence on the PL. It was down to money they wanted to negotiate their own TV deals.

Why didn't they want the FA to negotiate?

Just now, Foxxed said:

Why didn't they want the FA to negotiate?

Because the FA have a responsibility for all football down to grass roots level so would want to spread the money across a much wider group, I suspect also and you could argue it's been proved they had better negotiators

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

They still want to be in the PL these games are instead of them competing in the CL.

Whatever the FA think will have no real bearing on the outcome this is all down to FIFA and UEFA.

Right. Cheers. So the six clubs want to stop other teams getting CL money and fairly threatening their dominance.

Because the FA have a responsibility for all football down to grass roots level so would want to spread the money across a much wider group, I suspect also and you could argue it's been proved they had better negotiators

Cool, cool. Educational. The PL has hurt grass-roots football, given one league most of the money and the Super League further cements the inequality into a few teams. You think "modernising the game" argument was complete bunk then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Right. Cheers. So the six clubs want to stop other teams getting CL money and fairly threatening their dominance.

That seems to the be the size of it. If it happened I'm sure UEFA would still want to have their own competition as they rely on the money as much as the clubs do but I'd guess it would be significantly less as there's a limit to how much the media can spend on this. You'd reach saturation point.

6 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

The fact that Arsenal & Spurs are being put forward for a league of elite teams just highlights the state the game is heading in. Shameless cash grabs by grubby owners who have no concept of sportsmanship. 

As collectively it seems the general consensus in life is to accelerate moving forwards, yet football wants to roll backwards..... it’s just a complete money making farce. Football is becoming more Americanised as the years go by. 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

As collectively it seems the general consensus in life is to accelerate moving forwards, yet football wants to roll backwards..... it’s just a complete money making farce. Football is becoming more Americanised as the years go by. 

As I've said in the past the NFL maybe a closed shop but at least and income is shared equally including all merchandise whish is NFL branded.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

English national team

Hmm, I can see why this could be argued but we've not been that good since the rest of the world discovered football in the late 50s apart from the 66 world cup where we had a big advantage.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Hmm, I can see why this could be argued but we've not been that good since the rest of the world discovered football in the late 50s apart from the 66 world cup where we had a big advantage.

We were decent around the 90s. After about 98 we were mediocre at best. The money would have moved from the grass-roots mid 90s.

Part of me wonders if they’d ever would try this on with fans. Imagine what crowds would be like towards these five clubs? 

It speaks volumes the names involved - even more so that five are from the PL. Greed. Pure greed. I’d happily wager that no fecker in Europe will care. It’s about the world audience 

Do you know what another sad part of this is? If we were in a position where it benefitted us we'd be right behind it and up for it.

Look at the situation with top four being on a knife-edge twice in a row and how qualifying would boost us massively. Imagine that was guaranteed every year regardless of performance. 

It is a pile of shit, completely against what the sport should be about- but if you're in the club you think it's great. And I reckon we'd be the same.

The problem we have is that the cl money is a big advantage to clubs in the epl.  This scheme protects the bug clubs... they will always be able to offer ck football to players and to pay more than other clubs.   I honestly believe that they should not be allowed to play in the epl if this goes ahead 

45 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Wonder why... notice how many American owners there are. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

Any bets it’s called the World Series.