Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

lol Aren’t these lot a bit old to play the “it’s my ball and I will take it home” game

I get this is a bargaining manoeuvre but it happens frequently, and at some point a bluff will need to be called

(unless the pie continues to increase in size of course)

Just now, peach0000 said:

There are a lot of conflicting reports. Initially it appeared they weren't but now a lot of reputable sources are saying they are.

And their fans are not happy about the fact they have relented.

8 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Absolutely. Demand something outrageous and end up with what they really want - more guaranteed cash.  It's a game.  Tell them to FOD.

Basically yes. They'll end up with a deal that shafts us, that we don't as fans want, but we'll all be so relieved that it's not the European super league that we'll cry less about them getting their wild card qualifying places for coefficient. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Also placing this link here as it’s probably more relevant.

Not surprising at all that Spurs are one of the clubs that supports it. They need the status quo as they'll lose their place at the top table otherwise. You'd feel that , say, Arsenal could challenge again at some point due to the sheer size of the club but if Spurs lose Kane they'll basically go back to the Everton / Villa / Newcastle band they were once in.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

And their fans are not happy about the fact they have relented.

Reading twitter it appears that most fans aren't happy about it. There seems to be a split between international fans who are for it and domestic fans who are disgusted by it. The 'big six' have well and truly sold out a lot of their most loyal fans.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Not surprising at all that Spurs are one of the clubs that supports it. They need the status quo as they'll lose their place at the top table otherwise. You'd feel that , say, Arsenal could challenge again at some point due to the sheer size of the club but if Spurs lose Kane they'll basically go back to the Everton / Villa / Newcastle band they were once in.

Newcastle just fight to stay in the division, and have been relegated twice in the last decade or so, they are not in the same bracket as Everton or Spurs.

Plus, people take the piss out of Spurs winning trophies, yet Newcastle haven't won anything (aside from the Championship) in the last 50 or 60 years.

Edited by Fox92

Reading twitter it appears that most fans aren't happy about it. There seems to be a split between international fans who are for it and domestic fans who are disgusted by it. The 'big six' have well and truly sold out a lot of their most loyal fans.

Yes, but local fans are massively outnumbered (out funded) by international ones, and with no local ownership, why would the owner give a frig about that?

• Like 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

Newcastle just fight to stay in the division, and have been relegated twice in the last decade or so, they are not in the same bracket as Everton or Spurs.

I mean apparently the size of a club has nothing to do with recent footballing success or merit when talking about the European Super League. So it's irrelevant how good they are currently, all that matters is how marketable they are.

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

I mean apparently the size of a club has nothing to do with recent footballing success or merit when talking about the European Super League. So it's irrelevant how good they are currently, all that matters is how marketable they are.

True. And Spurs are marketable as they are a big club with a big fanbase nationwide and probably worldwide. The post I quoted was referring to Spurs losing Kane and going "back" to the same bracket as Newcastle/Villa/Everton etc which I don't agree with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Out of interest, is it at all possible that we are one of the 6 english clubs?

I think it's very unlikely but possible. We wouldn't be too far down the list after the 'Big Six'. Could even throw us is to try and prove that it's based on sporting merit. More likely than not that we are not though. It would explain the conflicting reports regarding Man City however. 

I think it's very unlikely but possible. We wouldn't be too far down the list after the 'Big Six'. Could even throw us is to try and prove that it's based on sporting merit. More likely than not that we are not though. It would explain the conflicting reports regarding Man City however. 

Trying to work out who it could be

Big 6 is still classed as Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool, with Man C being the only one signed up.

That leaves 4/5 from the rest then doesn't it? 

I'm very confused by the reports to be honest lol

Time for the Premier League to start passing some votes 14 to 6 to see how the big 6 greedy bastards like things when people agree things behind their backs.

A few modest proposals:

• All Big 6 teams who attempt to join a super league are immediately relegated from both the Premier League and the Football League
  • All trophies previously won by Big 6 teams declared to be invalid results and reawarded to teams who haven't tried to de-fraud the entirety of football. If Juve were stripped of some Serie A titles for Calciopoli, don't see why we can't have "0 times 0 times Man Yanited". Leicester CIty set for an exciting end to the season, as they battle West Ham in an attempt to win a 3rd title in 6 years, and immediately follow up their 2019-2020 title.
  • New FFP rule - attempting to join a Super League is an attempt to illegally gain more revenue and obtain an unfair revenue advantage against other PL teams. Punished by a fine of, oh, I don't know, how about an £Infinite fine. After all, it was fair to impose FFP rules on the Championship in an attempt to fine us for loses we had already ran up under Sven and had no chance of avoiding during promotion.
  • Any use of any previous football played under the English League system featuring the Big 6 clubs to be immediately Copyright Claimed by the FA or PL if the Big 6 attempt to use their previous history in any marketing whatsoever.
  • All Big 6 players immediately banned from the European Championships, World Cup and all future international football, until such time as they leave the big 6 and join an actual Football club.
  • Since all Big 6 players are contracted to play football in FA, PL or UEFA competitions, their contracts are immediately declared null  and void, and are permitted to join any other football club on a Bosman free transfer.

If they want a closed shop, they should have a proper closed shop, after they have been shorn of their history, their trophies and their players. They want to be marketing brands, then let them start again as a ****ing brand logo for glory hunting muppets with nothing but a stadium and a few remaining mercenary players playing for a pointless pre season tinpot cup in front of no fans and no viewers.

EDIT: Also tonights game should now be redeclared the FA Cup final following Chelsea's expulsion from the tournament.

Edited by orangecity23

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They know that the premier league without them is way less saleable but I agree that this is likely a way for them to extract more from something somewhere ...

Man City aren’t in it ....

It would be for a while but it also wouldn't be long for other clubs to fill the void. I dont think it would end the dominance of a few clubs, they'd just be different. 

Do you know the 6 then? I'm suprised man city aren't involved. 

The irony of them doing this at a time when fans will find it increasingly more difficult to freely travel abroad to watch their teams play is beautiful. Personally I'd rather they abolish the whole sport than this take place, I'm about done with it. Thankfully once we win the FA Cup this season we'll have completed it anyway.

• Like 3