Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

8 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to disband all football, apart from Real Madrid vs AC Milan, they can compete twice a week, logic being, they are the most successful clubs since the conception of the European cup?

So why waste any time with any other lesser successful clubs, nobody wants any variety in completive football, according to the executives of the top clubs, so lets just have the same game twice a week! Surely every person on the planet will be fascinated by this never ending spectacle, I have carefully calculated that this never ending game will generate 123456789 Ethereum each match :thumbup:

Perfect right?

I'm sure you watching the Boat Race last weekend then... right up you street. They figured out long ago a 2 team model was the perfect way to run a sport, and they are rewarded with prime BBC exposure and lucrative broadcast income.

• Haha 1

Just now, Golden Fox said:

I'm sure you watching the Boat Race last weekend then... right up you street. They figured out long ago a 2 team model was the perfect way to run a sport, and they are rewarded with prime BBC exposure and lucrative broadcast income.

No idea mate lol

As I'm sure you are aware, my previous post was an attempt at sarcasm, fuelled, by my utter contempt for those decision makers at "Big" clubs, who are creating the rules to suit their own needs. 

I have worked in football, and I have seen how incompetent these organisations can be. These clubs want a safety net, to protect their positions, and their incomes, because they are not confident in their, and their co-workers ability to be the best, and achieve the success that warrants an elevated position, to qualify for the premier tournaments.

If the likes of Andrea Agnelli can be trusted with the future vision of European football, we may as well stop watching now, as it will eventually lead to a scenario similar to my sarcastic post. Its unthinkable, and doomed to fail eventually.

26 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Wouldn't it just be easier to disband all football, apart from Real Madrid vs AC Milan, they can compete twice a week, logic being, they are the most successful clubs since the conception of the European cup?

So why waste any time with any other lesser successful clubs, nobody wants any variety in completive football, according to the executives of the top clubs, so lets just have the same game twice a week! Surely every person on the planet will be fascinated by this never ending spectacle, I have carefully calculated that this never ending game will generate 123456789 Ethereum each match :thumbup:

Perfect right?

Too open for me.

We want Real Madrid to walk onto the pitch and simply lift the trophy once a year without kicking a ball. The real battle will be on social media and what will trend more, Rodryro sticking his tongue out on an Instagram post or Junior Vinicius doing some stupid hand gesture on tiktok?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Too open for me.

We want Real Madrid to walk onto the pitch and simply lift the trophy once a year without kicking a ball. The real battle will be on social media and what will trend more, Rodryro sticking his tongue out on an Instagram post or Junior Vinicius doing some stupid hand gesture on tiktok?

Even better disband football totally, and lets just watch young adults do hilarious things on tik tok lol but only if it generates more money than actually playing the game. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Absolutely disgusting and arrogant article from Phillip Lahm......but nice of him to include us.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/08/bigger-more-diverse-european-super-league-can-enrich-football-philipp-lahm

41FAE7A5-34AD-4BA4-85F8-056883D7A820.jpeg

lollollol

DeJongandtherestless

2 hours ago

Next week: Philipp explains why closing your local cafe in order to make way for a Starbucks means more coffee for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

No idea mate lol

As I'm sure you are aware, my previous post was an attempt at sarcasm, fuelled, by my utter contempt for those decision makers at "Big" clubs, who are creating the rules to suit their own needs. 

I have worked in football, and I have seen how incompetent these organisations can be. These clubs want a safety net, to protect their positions, and their incomes, because they are not confident in their, and their co-workers ability to be the best, and achieve the success that warrants an elevated position, to qualify for the premier tournaments.

If the likes of Andrea Agnelli can be trusted with the future vision of European football, we may as well stop watching now, as it will eventually lead to a scenario similar to my sarcastic post. Its unthinkable, and doomed to fail eventually.

I did get the sarcasm ;). I was just making the point that sports do exist where you just have the same 2 sides going at it year after year and it never gets boring*.

However, there is a real issue here with the mismatch of revenue coming from UEFA. Take Leicester, whose base income is now around £200m. How do you budget for whether you get another £70m income from being in the Champions League or not? Consider you are competing against clubs like PSG/Bayern/Barcelona/Juve etc who have been near guaranteed this extra income year after year. You either have to gamble and pay higher wages (which we are moving towards with wages now higher than turnover) or don't try and compete. For all the talk of elitism and cartels, this is a very real issue, and I something that does need addressing. (I don't think it is incompetence to blame, but it won't have helped certain clubs along the way).

My solution would be for UEFAs broadcasting rights to be distributed more to UEFA member clubs and not just to the actual clubs involved. e.g. rather than the 4 Premier League clubs that qualify having £300m to share between them, every football league club gets £1m, every Premier League club £5m and the 4 qualifiers get around £150m between them for actually playing the games. This is a UEFA competition, so all the clubs that are part of the pyramid system that underpins it should benefit. If UEFA really wanted to support European football this is how it should have been set up in the first place.

(I do realise that this argument would immediately lead to all the big clubs leaving UEFA and forming a Super League overnight and in my scenario, the £300m wouldn't just go to the FA, but to countries that don't make it in Wales, Scotland, Hungary etc, but it was just indented to highlight how much money is being generated and big the gulf is: In US sports, such as the NFL with its revenue sharing, the Leagues have the power to dictate these things, and it is a shame just how weak UEFA is in comparison).

*more sarcasm ;)

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

Perfect right?

Well it's all our fault isn't it?

If we didn't have the temerity to win the league,  qualify for the champions league, get to the quarter finals and have the shear bloody mindlessness to possibly qualify yet again, they wouldn't need to consider such wholesale changes to protect the status quo.

I tried to explain this new CL concept to my 10 and 13 y o last weekend - they were horrified and asked what the point of football will be ? 

the older one said he’d stop watching and supporting 

the younger one wanted to know who is responsible as he wants to kill them ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Does the European coefficient calculate over the last 5 years?

If so I would not be as overtly adverse to two wild card entries as with some of the other suggestions. (Although I would prefer not to have it at all). My biggest worry with all of this is the silent creep towards accepting qualification through co-effients as a rule- because that would be abhorrent. 

I seem to remember a time when Peter Gartside(?) was trying to propose no relegations to and from the premiership, with his team (Bolton), therefore unable to get relegated! It seems to be the go to business idea with people who run football clubs but can't cope with the uncertainty of sport performance and instead want to develop profitable business models! 

19 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I did get the sarcasm ;). I was just making the point that sports do exist where you just have the same 2 sides going at it year after year and it never gets boring*.

However, there is a real issue here with the mismatch of revenue coming from UEFA. Take Leicester, whose base income is now around £200m. How do you budget for whether you get another £70m income from being in the Champions League or not? Consider you are competing against clubs like PSG/Bayern/Barcelona/Juve etc who have been near guaranteed this extra income year after year. You either have to gamble and pay higher wages (which we are moving towards with wages now higher than turnover) or don't try and compete. For all the talk of elitism and cartels, this is a very real issue, and I something that does need addressing. (I don't think it is incompetence to blame, but it won't have helped certain clubs along the way).

My solution would be for UEFAs broadcasting rights to be distributed more to UEFA member clubs and not just to the actual clubs involved. e.g. rather than the 4 Premier League clubs that qualify having £300m to share between them, every football league club gets £1m, every Premier League club £5m and the 4 qualifiers get around £150m between them for actually playing the games. This is a UEFA competition, so all the clubs that are part of the pyramid system that underpins it should benefit. If UEFA really wanted to support European football this is how it should have been set up in the first place.

(I do realise that this argument would immediately lead to all the big clubs leaving UEFA and forming a Super League overnight and in my scenario, the £300m wouldn't just go to the FA, but to countries that don't make it in Wales, Scotland, Hungary etc, but it was just indented to highlight how much money is being generated and big the gulf is: In US sports, such as the NFL with its revenue sharing, the Leagues have the power to dictate these things, and it is a shame just how weak UEFA is in comparison).

*more sarcasm ;)

Your highlighted suggestion is actually used by the Dutch Eredivise. Ajax conceded that their success is in some part down to players they sign from across Holland as well as their own youth players 

16 hours ago, zacd14 said:

This is a good video explaining the new structure.

As long as Tottenham and Arsenal do not miss out, I am fine with this.

On 08/04/2021 at 15:55, Kilworthfox said:

Perfect right?

Top shagger

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Also placing this link here as it’s probably more relevant.

Of course they have... on the eve of the other one being voted in. It’s almost like it’s more bullshit to push through this shitty new champions league. 

• Like 3

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

The “we can’t win fairly so we’re going to form our own league so we can win all the things” League. 

**** off then. 

Aye it'll guarantee the approval of it.

4 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

It'd be great if they f*d off and then it got boycotted. 

It will get boycotted if it’s goes ahead. It is literally just a money grab to the detriment of all other clubs and leagues. If it does go ahead then the governing bodies of football should carry out their threats. All players in those teams banned from international football, banned for 5 years from playing in any other league and all competing clubs banned from every other competition FOREVER. So when the farce collapses they can never compete for any cup outside of their own league. 

It won’t be the death of football. Football is bigger than any of these petulant money grabbing toddlers. It will end up being the death of them. 

Weird thing is I cannot see people genuinely signing up to watch this league on TV in the numbers they would need. Genuinely fans across Europe are against this. Makes you wonder if any of these daft cvnts have ever heard of the goose that laid the golden egg. Idiots. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The “we can’t win fairly so we’re going to form our own league so we can win all the things” League. 

**** off then. 

Ironically, it'll be Chelsea and Liverpool the most likely to even challenge other sides in that league. Arsenal and Spurs just in it for the money and the marketing. They're winning fvck all in any Super League as well. 

• Like 2