Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

New Champions League format from 2024

30 minutes ago, Goober said:

The so called 'oil clubs' get plenty of stick based on their ownership, but it's the Americans that are ruining our game. Glazers, Kroenke, FSG etc. All bastards

They're always the worst. They're the ones who've made the very top clubs happy with just being in the top 4 like it's some kind of trophy. Ultimately people with no feel for football.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Good. I’d like to think Bayern are a traditional club with some proper values so I hope they stick two fingers up to it. 

Well can't just bully clubs and buy anyone that's half decent in the European super league to stay on top so it doesn't  make much sense for them. 

50 minutes ago, Corky said:

Do you know what another sad part of this is? If we were in a position where it benefitted us we'd be right behind it and up for it.

Look at the situation with top four being on a knife-edge twice in a row and how qualifying would boost us massively. Imagine that was guaranteed every year regardless of performance. 

It is a pile of shit, completely against what the sport should be about- but if you're in the club you think it's great. And I reckon we'd be the same.

Speak for yourself. I think you are wrong. 

I want a return of the old European Cup/UEFA Cup/Cup Winners Cup format. 

• Like 1

So, we have the US JP Morgan backed proposal tonight, and this is just a closed shop super league (6 Eng, 2 Ita, 2 Spn + 2 others?) or we have the new UEFA Champions League (Swiss Model) that has 2 spaces for historic clubs.

Is that right? Or is there another option?

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It appears the Uefa, the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 have released a joint statement vowing to ban the clubs concerned from all domestic and international competitions and have the support from Fifa to do so!

Good move from them all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

So, we have the US JP Morgan backed proposal tonight, and this is just a closed shop super league (6 Eng, 2 Ita, 2 Spn + 2 others?) or we have the new UEFA Champions League (Swiss Model) that has 2 spaces for historic clubs.

The 'two others' are from Italy and Spain as well. But apart from that you seem to be correct. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

The 'two others' are from Italy and Spain as well. But apart from that you seem to be correct. 

Like finding out all the sweet jars in the sweet shops contain candied turds. :blink:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

They're offering a horrific idea in order to get their shitty idea approved?

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They're not going to break away. They probably don't even WANT to break away. 

It's just an incredibly transparent threat to try and flex a bit of power and get their own way because presumably some negotiation in the Champions League format talks has stalled. 

It's a bluff. Like others, I wish our governing bodies would just call them on it and tell them to fvck off. 

I've just come to the same conclusion.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They're not going to break away. They probably don't even WANT to break away. 

It's just an incredibly transparent threat to try and flex a bit of power and get their own way because presumably some negotiation in the Champions League format talks has stalled. 

It's a bluff. Like others, I wish our governing bodies would just call them on it and tell them to fvck off. 

Absolutely. Demand something outrageous and end up with what they really want - more guaranteed cash.  It's a game.  Tell them to FOD.

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Hopefully they make the announcement and the teams that have signed up instantly get removed from the league. If you want back start at tier 9.

They know that the premier league without them is way less saleable but I agree that this is likely a way for them to extract more from something somewhere ...

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Straight shoot out for the title with West Ham this season :ph34r: 

Man City aren’t in it ....

47 minutes ago, Corky said:

Do you know what another sad part of this is? If we were in a position where it benefitted us we'd be right behind it and up for it.

Look at the situation with top four being on a knife-edge twice in a row and how qualifying would boost us massively. Imagine that was guaranteed every year regardless of performance. 

It is a pile of shit, completely against what the sport should be about- but if you're in the club you think it's great. And I reckon we'd be the same.

I think a lot would depend on what wider ramifications it would have on the English game in general. If it meant The English League "product" being devalued and less money being fed down the pyramid into the lower leagues / grass roots, clubs going into financial crisis etc as a result,  then I'd hope a lot of the "proper" football fans from those clubs would be dead against it. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

They know that the premier league without them is way less saleable but I agree that this is likely a way for them to extract more from something somewhere ...

Man City aren’t in it ....

There are a lot of conflicting reports. Initially it appeared they weren't but now a lot of reputable sources are saying they are.