Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

As posted in the Punishment Thread

I'm less hung up on direct punishment for these clubs than I am at UEFA still appeasing them with more money and historical based qualification for I see that as a reward 

Fans need to focus their attention on this.

I honestly think that the idea of wildcard places will be ditched - as long as vociferous opposition to it is sustained. After all, there are three and a half years before the new look Champions League comes into force - though it would definitely help UEFA’s public relations if they were to announce they were dropping it sooner rather than later. Calling them into account over it should be the media’s top priority once the Super League dust has settled.

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

The Qatar World cup is, in many ways, so much worse than this. It absolutely disgusts me. I won't watch one ****ing kick of it.

I agree. Hundreds of people have literally died working as slaves to build their stupid stadiums. It’s 2021 for goodness sake!

It’s one thing us letting Sepp Blatter get away with receiving a bung, it’s another thing when people actually DIE. 

If these were British people losing their lives, we’d be up in arms.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I agree. Hundreds of people have literally died working as slaves to build their stupid stadiums. It’s 2021 for goodness sake!

It’s one thing us letting Sepp Blatter get away with receiving a bung, it’s another thing when people actually DIE. 

If these were British people losing their lives, we’d be up in arms.

Yup, problem is the west is in bed with said monarchies they're rogue dangerous and illegitimate, but hey let's let them host a world cup

• Like 1

So given that all 12 clubs resigned from the ECA, what happens next??  A good punishment is to not re-instate them isn't it? give them LESS of a say in the governance of the game at the highest level. maybe a more democratic view would exist then??

• Like 3

16-24s not watching football every day is not unusual is it. Those in that age group are either out playing themselves, going to the actual games or watching everything in the pub with their mates.

Under 24s are not not watching due to lack of access. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Absolutely this. 

Seria A on Channel 4 every Sunday

Scottish football on BBC

CL on ITV

When I was younger, there were up to 4 games a week on Free and I watched the lot. Kids aren't interested in football if their parents aren't able to afford the crazy prices that Sky and the likes charge for the privilege of watching live sports. 

Imagine if you could get cheap access to the best sides whenever you wanted. I think that was the idea behind the ESL. If the ESL had been a league that you were promoted to and relegated from, a bit like a stage further than the prem, would it have worked and would fans have gone for it. Eufa, fifa sky etc still have full control of the money in football, all the esl would have done was take their power and money away from them, the esl just went about it the wrong way by making it a closed shop. It's not a victory for the fans, what have the fans won that they didn't have before. It's a victory for sky and bt and uefa and fifa and more money in their pockets because they've managed to get a bigger champions league going in the back groiund, which also means more money for the clubs and owners qualifying for their competitions. It all seems a bit staged to me.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the fallout from this effects the involved clubs. I imagine talks have been going on for a while, medium/long-term transfer policies could have been building towards the ESL. Chelsea’s splurge last summer alongside lucrative contract deals could have been influenced by the touted riches of the ESL.

But, as with most things, I imagine not much will really change and will become a “huh remember that” along with Esperanto.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is why I am so desperate for us to win the FA Cup as a priority over the top 4. I don't want the feeling of failure for not getting top 4 but I hate everything it stands for in the modern game. We want it just so we play in a competition that is so hypocritical and full of teams that want to turn football further away from real authentic fans. Top 4 gives us the finances to keep paying our players huge wages and to buy other players to progress but it comes with a heavy price for me. 

I enjoyed the CL in 2016/17 and my gut instinct wants to see us in amongst the elite again but for what? For coming 4th? If we win the FA Cup we have the elusive domestic trophy and will have beaten Manchester United and Chelsea to get it, 2 of the most despicable clubs in the last 48 hours. The prestige from that achievement will mean more to me, we should have been all celebrating so much what we did on Sunday and yet for 48 hours we've all been glued to a thread about 12 bunch of cuts, fixated and desperate for it to keep on going and giving. Long forgotten was what we've done and what's to come, the game tomorrow a mere after thought to this bull shit.

Go and win the FA Cup and worry about the other crap afterwards. 

I think the elite are rattled, we have shown we can compete by winning the league, they thought that was a bump in the road but now we have pushed the top 4 close for two season and now have an FA cup final shows it not a one off.

Once one team does it other teams believe it is possible, in other leagues teams like Atalanta, Lille FC have shown it possible to compete. 

They don't mind losing to each other but outsiders threaten their position 

They can no longer bully teams to sell there best players cheap.

Now is the time to push them harder.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Serie A football on Channel 4 in the 90s, although technically more proficient than our football, was honestly the most dull, turgid and attritional stuff. I don't think I ever once managed to stay awake during a game as Juve/AC/Inter ground out at 1-0 win against Lecce/Pescara/Ancona. If 16-24 year olds had to watch that now they'd definitely be put off football for life.

The bigger point being is that it was hugely accessible on free to air TV. Not every game was dull. Not every game was a 1-0.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It still is accessible on free to air TV. It's shown regularly on Free Sports (Freeview channel 64). And it's way more entertaining than it was in the 90s.

Not that regularly. It's one game every now and then. C4 had it every week back in the 90s. Plus the Football Italia show to go along with it. 

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Spurs joining the Super League is like me going to the Crucible and putting 50p on the table lol:P

I am very confident that I'm the first person to have posted that.

Any statements from the clubs? Surprised they've stayed silent so far... 

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Spurs joining the Super League is like me going to the Crucible and putting 50p on the table lol:P

I am very confident that I'm the first person to have posted that.

Who would loan them 50p?