Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Seems fans have won. 

But what have we won? 

It's merely a delay to a final plan, not an end to the greed. It will come back again and again until the authority put rich clubs in their place that they are a part of the game, not the only part of the game. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So ESL is dead, but I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-the-Super-League will soon be upon us (AKA UCL Swiss Model)

Celebrate the hollow victory. :scarf:

This is exactly what I keep thinking. We've stopped one bad idea so that another can get approved. 

56 minutes ago, Livid said:

There is cancer at the heart of these clubs and I doubt a change of ownership or leadership will cure them totally. 

Don’t be fooled by the fan protests or the players objections they would have rode that out. Tie players would have got a nice new obscene contract and got on with it. 

When the government stated they would change the law to stop them that was the end of the road, for now. 

I believe that there was a salary cap proposal  within the ESL .........

5 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

This is exactly what I keep thinking. We've stopped one bad idea so that another can get approved. 

It’s been approved - on Monday 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I believe that there was a salary cap proposal  within the ESL .........

It’s been approved - on Monday 

I know. I meant we were all concentrating on the fiasco unfolding while the other bad idea was almost quietly announced and overlooked.

• Like 1

The other six clubs are still engaged in this aren’t they? Possible revamp in format. 

The English clubs have done one U turn already, what stops them going back to the table? 

I can see this being re-visited as an invitational tournament. The founders are “always” part of it and shoe horned into the summer months and winter break. They can then move the travelling circus around the world, invite larger teams from other continents and it basically becomes a non UEFA / FIFA recognised World Club Championship League.

In the years with no World Cup, (where we’ve now set a precedent for moving out of the summer slot) or Euros, people would find this more acceptable. 

People would pay to watch it, it would give these clubs massive additional revenue and profit. If it’s a £1 / game, lots of people would sign up. Amazon would love it. 

You can see the greedy six getting involved with something like this, along with the other Unsuper league sign ups. Lots of other clubs opposed to the original plans, may also be interested as well, to help them stay competitive or afloat. 

Edited by Sly

The super league is not finished, it will rear its ugly head in a different format.  The problem is that the data shows that the young are watching less full matches, they are more interested in watching highlights. They will watch it in the background while texting and watching netflix at the same time, they now have the attention of a gnat! 

• Like 1

Perez of Real came out with the utter guff that this ESL was about "saving football". Amongst those turncoats who were willing and eager to betray their national football system and history, his desperation to keep a failed model afloat is the most flawed and offensive. For me, who once admired this team, they can go bust and do a Rangers. Will City fans give a toss? 

This is about preserving a undemocratic, unjustifiable aristocracy

The Six have come crawling back with tails between legs. They wish to do so as if nothing had happened. I don't believe that can be allowed. Some lesson has to come from this.

4 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

I am 100% FOR the Qatar WC!

Entitled Euro fans think that a WC should be primarily for them, but if it truly a WORLD Cup, it should reflect the globe.

Qatar is in no way suitable or appropriate to host a World Cup.

It was a bonkers and corrupt decision then and remains so now.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

So the corruption and deaths of 6500+ migrant workers are worth it? Just so people can watch a few games of football, now who's entitled?

I think 90% agree, that the World Cup should t be held in Qatar.

I can understand building stadia to support a tournament of this size, however Qatar have no football history. At least the USA and Australia have some history. It should have gone to one of them. I’m still surprised with the corruption allegations being proven, that they weren’t stripped of it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

The super league is not finished, it will rear its ugly head in a different format.  The problem is that the data shows that the young are watching less full matches, they are more interested in watching highlights. They will watch it in the background while texting and watching netflix at the same time, they now have the attention of a gnat! 

Even if this was a problem, it’s unclear how a ‘Super League’ of any format would change that? 

Is it the level of competition that is contributing to that or could it have something to do with the price of access? 

Mean if you’re under 25 and earning £9 an hour across an ever changing shift pattern, why would you pay for live matches with no fixed time slot when the highlights are free on YouTube within 30 minutes? 

7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Even if this was a problem, it’s unclear how a ‘Super League’ of any format would change that? 

Is it the level of competition that is contributing to that or could it have something to do with the price of access? 

Mean if you’re under 25 and earning £9 an hour across an ever changing shift pattern, why would you pay for live matches with no fixed time slot when the highlights are free on YouTube within 30 minutes? 

I think they were not bothered about the domestic markets, they are saturated, it is more about emerging markets.  Sell access on your phone with a Netflix style subscription and you could make a lot of money.

8 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I think they were not bothered about the domestic markets, they are saturated, it is more about emerging markets.  Sell access on your phone with a Netflix style subscription and you could make a lot of money.

Well Netflix themselves are proving this method may not be as profitable as once thought where there an abundance of competing interests.

This was more about the share of proceeds - with the bigger clubs wanting it weighted in their favour more, because as they see it, they bring more people into the game.

But the thing they forgot is it’s the competitive element first and foremost that has brought the already significant following into the game. Without that, the very nature of sport is lost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

So, do we think these teams would be punished? I know it affects the fanbase who didn't want this as much as the rest of world football, but serious punishment must be dished out.

Not a chance unfortunately and it wouldn't surprise me if they insisted on an assurance to that effect before confirming their withdrawal.

3 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

So, do we think these teams would be punished? I know it affects the fanbase who didn't want this as much as the rest of world football, but serious punishment must be dished out.

Yes, they will be punished extremely heavily by UEFA to the tune of an increase of a further 5% to their Champions League monies

• Like 1