Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

21 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

That’s fairly equitable compared to each team arranging individual TV deals and is a vast difference to the money distribution in La Liga.

Okay maybe it is. Maybe I’m misguided in thinking that clubs getting selected more due to their relative size and therefore more of a slice is poor  - but I honestly don’t think having clubs in charge of policing competition is a good thing. 

Yeah I can’t deny the PL works as an organisation to get its money worth but I think it’s caused far more damage to the wider football pyramid within England. 

Just now, Wymsey said:

It's going to be created, isn't it.

They want it that much, but the protest against it was unlike anything we have seen. So much so that the shift in public opinion would need to be huge. 

It makes you wonder if they'll turn to politics and try and out anyone they can from the likes of UEFA to try and shift that opinion. 

4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

The Premier League is probably the second best run sporting competition in the world after the NFL in terms of viewership, funds, sponsorships, fan engagement and prestige.

Every young footballer in the world wants to play in the Premier League. I would say it's disingenuous to say that the Premier League is a concept that doesn't work.

Premier League is actually funded quite evenly and fairly.

*college football

😉

59 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It long ago stopped being about the football itself, tourists follow brands, not style, results or tables. 

Possibly true, and there will be those within the big clubs that believe they should have the lions share because they have the biggest viewing figures. However first and foremost it is a sport, strip everything else away it is 22 men competing on the field, it is the duty of the governing bodies to strip away all the bullshit that surrounds the game and remember it’s core and keep the integrity of sport in check. Will they, probably not as they have been bullied and pushed to relent in the past. 

However it is possible that this will add strength to the ruling bodies and there is evidence with clubs pulling out that there is people within these clubs that do believe in sporting integrity, how far that goes though is debatable. 

Listening to sky sports it’s good to see that the government does have some power in stopping this too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's going to be created, isn't it.

Not how they’ve presented it, no.

There’s obvious balancing issues and areas that need completely fleshing out.

For example, in their explainer they state the top teams from each group of the league stages gain promotion to the above tier… but that begs the question, what is the knockout stage for? 

Equally the suggestion is for 20(!) relegation spots from the lower tier, alongside 20 promotions from domestic leagues.

However, they’ve given absolutely no idea on how that would work and it is a clear problem. 

To expand, how can you promote and relegate teams to a national domestic league into a combined nationality league?

You can’t guarantee that the 20 bottom teams of the Blue League would be one from each nation that you’re promoting from, so how does the competition decide who stays, who goes and who joins in that instance? 

Additionally, there are more than 20 nations represented across UEFA at the moment - suggesting some domestic leagues could be left with no route to qualification whatsoever.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Dunno a £50million advantage over everyone else is handy isn’t it?

Who has a 50m advantage over everyone else? 

The chart you've posted shows the most supported team in England earning 6m more than West Ham lol

It seems to me that people claiming that “fans” will support it don’t know what being a fan involves.  At best they’re talking about the casual fan and TV viewer.  But they’re not the ones with the power to paralyse clubs who get involved in this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Possibly true, and there will be those within the big clubs that believe they should have the lions share because they have the biggest viewing figures. However first and foremost it is a sport, strip everything else away it is 22 men competing on the field, it is the duty of the governing bodies to strip away all the bullshit that surrounds the game and remember it’s core and keep the integrity of sport in check. Will they, probably not as they have been bullied and pushed to relent in the past. 

However it is possible that this will add strength to the ruling bodies and there is evidence with clubs pulling out that there is people within these clubs that do believe in sporting integrity, how far that goes though is debatable. 

Listening to sky sports it’s good to see that the government does have some power in stopping this too.

Yes, this may well be the watershed moment, where finally money is not the deciding factor. It would be fabulous to see the footballing world, backed by Governments, state a position of such finality that the repercussions of trying to continue this greedy crusade would become self defeating. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, this may well be the watershed moment, where finally money is not the deciding factor. It would be fabulous to see the footballing world, backed by Governments, state a position of such finality that the repercussions of trying to continue this greedy crusade would become self defeating. 

Government may see the potential for (tax) money being taken away from them somehow, if so it’s unlikely to happen for English clubs. They might let Celtic and Rangers go though 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mushtaq said:

It seems to me that people claiming that “fans” will support it don’t know what being a fan involves.  At best they’re talking about the casual fan and TV viewer.  But they’re not the ones with the power to paralyse clubs who get involved in this.

They are definitely focused on the commercial opportunities with the global ‘fans’ of the big clubs who watch on TV - the real fans who actually attend games are a minor consideration. To me that seems a perilous path to take - clubs are nothing without the fans who actually show up. But the owners of many of these clubs don’t seem to get that. 

I haven’t got long,but..

If this superleague is created,

then teams leave their own nations traditional competitions.

I turn the lights out on football…

What some power people don’t understand..The basic ground root format..

There is nothing wrong.   
Nothing wrong in modernisation,but going down to your own local ground,and building that relationship,no matter then where one goes can’t and will never be replaced…TV-tourists,plastic Asian/African imitations,nothking wrong,

S.Americans,Europeans went ot to these countries and spread The traditional game.

Those youngsters and children’s aspiration,were pulled along when then first villagers,had a chance to watch profi football from afar on shared TVs

Asians preferred to stay by their love for the European/S.American football teams and chose then built their alliance. Sat.tv/ reading new football themed magazines local /TV broadcasting week old games,then going out to play, in, poorer settings,schools,colleges gave that outlet that brought people together…

If these greedy incompetent,soulless ppeople want to grab hold of the main essence of the game,then whore our traditional (top) out, away from their natural

traditional regions,then not for me thank you.

There are only two things that would make me turn my back on LCFC. The first is if they are taken over by a despotic regime like Saudi  and the second is if they joined (unlikely I know) the Super League. The club is the heartbeat of our city, not some faceless money men who's only interest is stuffing their already full pockets with even more cash. I love my club but I am unable to see them live due to ticketing difficulties and this would be the final nail in the coffin for me.