Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

There's got to be a correlation between American youths having dog shit meaningless sports to follow and then committing heinous massacres. As kids you need outlets, hobbies and passions and this super league goes against everything that's special about football when you're still innocent and all you care about is football, football, football and a few bags of tangy toms. This ruins it, maybe not immediately to the naked eye but it does for the parents of the children and the real fans and that has the knock on effect to the future fans and once that happens it's like American sport and kids are lost and that's not a nice environment.

• Haha 3

I'm concerned that the respective domestic footballing bodies haven't got the nuts to properly go for the jugular, here. 

Čeferin has been making some nice noises from UEFA's perspective, but the fact that there's been very little come out of both the FA and the Premier League concerns me. 

The six English clubs clearly feel they have the clout to make the league bend over, and I think they might. 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

How? These are billion pound businesses. 

Far fetched perhaps but the govrnment managed to stump up 37bn for the test and trace system at the drop of a hat. Let the government buy these shysters out for bringing the game into disrepute and then similar to Germany sell 51% of the clubs back to the fans so they have the final say should anything like this rear it's head again. I get this would never happen, especially under a Conservative government but theoretically it's possible.

Just thinking about the rule that states it requires 3/4 of the clubs vote, if a club is not invited to the meeting then does the vote then only require 3/4 of the attending clubs vote to be approved?

I'm not a lawyer, but to me it seems as if this could the solution.

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Far fetched perhaps but the govrnment managed to stump up 37bn for the test and trace system at the drop of a hat. Let the government buy these shysters out for bringing the game into disrepute and then similar to Germany sell 51% of the clubs back to the fans so they have the final say should anything like this rear it's head again. I get this would never happen, especially under a Conservative government but theoretically it's possible.

Can you imagine the markup quoted to buy 6 such businesses lol

....hmmm....maybe there IS a masterplan by these vulture capitalists

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

The govt would have to take on their multi million pound debts as well. What about the debts of all the other clubs? Can't be done. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't spoken out yet, I want Brendan turning up at tomorrow's presser dressed as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

They will wait for the joint meeting and then make a statement together.

I also feel that perhaps more than any other club, our statement should be the most telling. Our title win is the reason why fans love football, that anyone could do it. That is a unique piece of history that we are all privileged to have witnessed and lived through, and we must protect the idea of it and what it stands for at all costs.

• Like 3

How? These are billion pound businesses. 

Not being an expert in corporate law, I'll admit it's not my strong point... but surely stakeholders taking a business in a direction against the will of other... well majority of a nation (more so other stakeholders), there has to be laws to protect this kind of thing.

If not, time for Government to get involved.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Isn't Barcelona owned by their fans? Don't think that the German model would necessarily stop this and we definitely don't want a 1 team league like Germany. 

Barcelona’s fans still haven’t voted this through.

4 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Just thinking about the rule that states it requires 3/4 of the clubs vote, if a club is not invited to the meeting then does the vote then only require 3/4 of the attending clubs vote to be approved?

I'm not a lawyer, but to me it seems as if this could the solution.

It doesn't matter. If they can form a breakaway league then so can we Steve Parish said so much last night on MNF. 

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They will wait for the joint meeting and then make a statement together.

I also feel that perhaps more than any other club, our statement should be the most telling. Our title win is the reason why fans love football, that anyone could do it. That is a unique piece of history that we are all privileged to have witnessed and lived through, and we must protect the idea of it and what it stands for at all costs.

I think the club would be well-served not to mention our title win.

This is not about us, the message needs to be as inclusive as possible.

Not sure how the Government can save this, the genie is out the bottle, and the costs involved are ridiculous, let alone it is questionable if such an act reflects the will of the country at large.

Whilst these are corporations, they are also institutions and the very foundations that some cities thrive on.

Government could remove any rights for them to host games, I read yesterday there's legislations for councils to remove naming rights to clubs... you wouldn't want it to come to these restrictions but I believe our Governments could make life next to impossible for these clubs until it get's a point where the only real option they have is to formulate new teams in the mould of the ones they tried to steal... and who would care about the Merseyside Red Sox? Not me, it would become another mickey mouse cup like the International Champions Cup and will be dead on it's feet in years.

12 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our title win is the reason why fans love football, that anyone could do it. That is a unique piece of history

This actually sums up everything that is wrong with football even before you think about the impact of this SL. Sadly it will still head in that direction but somewhat slower and less noticeably.

• Like 3

Can't see teams being kicked out of the leagues. Surely although there is only a handful of games left broadcasters have paid for TV rights. Sadly lots of fans buy it for the self proclaimed 'big six'.

Public and fans could then cancel subscriptions and Broadcasters have then lost their own cash cow and that would also have implications. A massive Vicious circle.

If anything it will be a points deduction at best but nothing major which will cause city to lose the league or any of them threatened by relegation.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

The recent attempts at rule changes such as changing the number of subs etc all required 14 votes, all media I have read says 14 votes, the PL website says 14 votes, but another section of a PL law says 15 votes. A bit confusing. But the media consensus is 14 votes, and recent rule changes definitely required 14 votes to pass. That was the whole point of project big picture wasn’t it? To remove one vote per club and give the power within the PL to the greedy six... it now appears very lucky that the other 14 didn’t buy it.

It was driven by United and Liverpool, shock horror. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

While i understand the anger and agree with it... where was it in 1990 when the premier league first screwed the other clubs over?

The FA were forced into it then by so many 1st tier clubs being in favour, they clubs obviously didn't think it through as their snouts were in the trough. It just about put paid to the influence the FA could have on the professional levels of football.