Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I can't get my head around the thinking at all. If anything it should give all teams greater chance to be english champions and qualify for european competition.

Every comment I see from clubs just smacks of them being worried that they're gonna lose money due to the other teams not being there lol

This is exactly what they are all concerned about, anything else is window dressing  lol

Just now, Babylon said:

What do you think fans aspire to?

A club in league two wants to get to league one, it might seem a million miles away from the champions league, but their aspirations change. Wanting to get to league one changes to wanting to get to the championship, then the premier league, then mid table, then top 6, then top 4 etc etc. Our own story is one step off that, we are literally THE case study of why it would wreck peoples dreams. 

Why would not having those 6 teams in the league prevent us from becoming the champions of England or Europe?

• Like 1

Just now, Peckfortonfox said:

I done with football as it is. I will go to all the Leicester games I can but all subscriptions cancelled.

Now just hold on one cotton picking minute, I hear there is a fancy dan new Super! Duper! League due any minute...

2 minutes ago, 1994fox said:

They are proposing a closed system whereby no one else has a chance to join them or ever hope to compete on their level.

Imagine the premier league now - Liverpool wouldn’t have needed to try against Leeds last night because they are already in the super league by default. In fact as Man City have already wrapped up the prem, none of the super league teams have any incentive to compete in their domestic leagues anymore. They will just field their reserve team and focus on their super league clash vs Real Madrid mid week.

The non-super league teams meanwhile have no way of breaking into that pre-defined elite. 

It will completely destroy football as we know it.

As soon as they go into their own league, they're no longer a part of our footballing eco system. They matter to me as much as boca juniors do. They have to leave the domestic league for me, they become irrellevant from that moment.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can anyone answer me this... why would it destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game?

Because the dream for all football fans is to see their club do what ours has done. If you can't earn the right to compete against the world's best, what is the point? Imagine winning the Premier League, but not being allowed the chance to play against the best in Europe because you aren't invited. It's wrong. If this goes ahead, what will clubs aspire to be? Because they won't be allowed to aspire to be the best, as they won't be allowed to. The spirit of football is dead if this doesn't get stopped.

Just now, filbertway said:

A team can still get to the Champions league final and win the Premier League.

This breakaway league will be it's own entity and sounds like they want it to become a completely different sport.

The pyramid and european competition will still be there ladies and gentlemen.

But it won't be if it goes how the greedy ***** seem to think it will. They seem extremely confident that their elitist league will be the top table with the best players ect. We'll never be allowed to compete with the best which is surley what sport is about. The hopes of every fan is that their club will one day rise up and compete with the very best. This new league stops that. 

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Why would not having those 6 teams in the league prevent us from becoming the champions of England or Europe?

Because those 6 SL clubs mean lots of viewers, lots of viewers mean money filters down the pyramid and such lower league clubs can stay afloat, invest a little and aspire to reach such heights

Edited by Dahnsouff

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

This breakaway league will be it's own entity and sounds like they want it to become a completely different sport.

In theory maybe but it will be in theory alone. The 6 clubs will have an extra source of £200m+ revenue headstart on the other 14 in the PL, both in an upfront lump sum then extra revenue each year. It will kill off any remaining competitive possibility because that revenue will be guaranteed no matter how they perform, and there'll be no way for other clubs to ever join that elite group.

• Like 1

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

But it won't be if it goes how the greedy ***** seem to think it will. They seem extremely confident that their elitist league will be the top table with the best players ect. We'll never be allowed to compete with the best which is surley what sport is about. The hopes of every fan is that their club will one day rise up and compete with the very best. This new league stops that. 

If they stayed in the premier league then I'd be done with top level football for good. If they're kicked out and want to pursue this closed league with no competitive element then fair play. I couldn't care less once they stop being a part of the league and I don't understand why people care.

UEFA, Sky, BT and the Premier league members are only concerned because it's going to hit their pockets.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can anyone answer me this... why would it destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game?

I remember when I was about 13/14 me and about half a dozen other lads used to play football in the park every afternoon after school.
After a while we started talking about starting our own football team, we looked into how to do it, asked some other lads at school and even held a few training sessions.

We never had any kits, but did manage to play a couple of friendlies. Now our team never got off the ground and we never achieved our dream.

But for a solid 6 months all we could talk about was the team, what division we’d have to start in, how long it would take us to reach division 1, win the FA Cup and win the European Cup. 
It was all a dream, but it was exciting and we loved it, we all went on to play for other teams, none of us made it beyond a decent semi pro level.

I haven’t spoken to any of those lads for years, but last time I was in England I had a beer with one of them and we spoke about it, how we should be chairmen of a 5 time European Champion by now.

That dream we had that inspired us as teenagers, can anyone honestly say with this any kids can have that dream now? Not when there is a closed shop.

That same dream, is what football fans across England have for the team they support be it Leicester, Crystal Palace, Brentford, Forest Green, Burton Albion or whoever, but with a closed shop that dream is gone now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We're only a portion of the money though. The overseas TV rights are a massive part of the money and that's what's driving this. 

It makes up less than 50% of the money and these clubs take more than their fair share of it already.

The threat to be able to remove well over 50% of their income is power.

We can also boycott any associated sponsors or endorsements they have and lobby for them to be removed as a collective. This cannot ride if we take action.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

They don't want to leave the league, they want to stay in it AND have the super league. 

It also takes the complete gloss off it doesn't it. Forever a * next to it, well the good clubs weren't there. We already get, "they won it because the good teams were shit". 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Because those 6 SL clubs mean lots of viewers, lots of viewers mean money filters down the pyramid and such lower league clubs can stay afloat, invest a little and aspire to reach such heights

Seems like a really good opportunity to reset the game and finances to me. Maybe players will stop being overpaid at all levels. You've got conference players on 100k a year, it's mental.

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I can't get my head around the thinking at all. If anything it should give all teams greater chance to be english champions and qualify for european competition.

Every comment I see from clubs just smacks of them being worried that they're gonna lose money due to the other teams not being there lol

Try running a football club without money. People want the stadium expanding, without the Premier league we'd still be at Filbert Street, 21,000 capacity probably in the second division. Forget the cup final and winning the league, it would never have happened. 

But the teams don't want to leave the premier league. they want their super league to run alongside their participation in the premier league. The additional income they would receive just from participating in the super league would enable them to strengthen their squads to far beyond what any other team could achieve. Ensuring that those 6 clubs always finish in the top 6 positions. The pyramid will still be in place but the best any of the rest of us would be able to hope for is to finish 7th in the Premier League. 

If you can't see why that is a problem then theres something very wrong with you

• Like 2

Is anyone else baffled by that Perez man saying that he’s saving football, that it’s in crisis, because “40% of 16-24 year olds aren’t interested in football”?  That means 60% are interested, which is a vast percentage, when you bear in mind that it’s a traditional predominantly male interest, and 50% of the population are female!   If I was setting up a sport and 60% of the youth population were interested, I’d be thrilled!

32 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absolute bollocks, they've seen the backlash and now are trying to save face.

I hope after all this is sorted major changes are made to football, it can't carry on as it is.

Also laughable to see BT and Sky cry about a monopoly, these ***** were charging us for PPV games a few months ago, they've only annoyed they haven't been offered part of the gravy train.

The broadcasters never wanted that model of PPV it was the clubs (excluding ourselves) that pushed it through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I remember when I was about 13/14 me and about half a dozen other lads used to play football in the park every afternoon after school.
After a while we started talking about starting our own football team, we looked into how to do it, asked some other lads at school and even held a few training sessions.

We never had any kits, but did manage to play a couple of friendlies. Now our team never got off the ground and we never achieved our dream.

But for a solid 6 months all we could talk about was the team, what division we’d have to start in, how long it would take us to reach division 1, win the FA Cup and win the European Cup. 
It was all a dream, but it was exciting and we loved it, we all went on to play for other teams, none of us made it beyond a decent semi pro level.

I haven’t spoken to any of those lads for years, but last time I was in England I had a beer with one of them and we spoke about it, how we should be chairmen of a 5 time European Champion by now.

That dream we had that inspired us as teenagers, can anyone honestly say with this any kids can have that dream now? Not when there is a closed shop.

That same dream, is what football fans across England have for the team they support be it Leicester, Crystal Palace, Brentford, Forest Green, Burton Albion or whoever, but with a closed shop that dream is gone now.

I had a similar dream when I was about the same age :D

As I say, the premier league will still exist. The champions league will still exist. They will be top the top of the pyramid. 

Because there's supposedly a competition above the highest competition the other 86 can't reach as they have no access to it. The whole principle of sport is that we all have a chance of reaching the highest heights, be it Man City, Leicester City, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, or Port Vale. Or even Notts County. It might be further off for some than others, some might have an advantage due to financial clout, but at the end of the day there is nothing stopping Notts County reaching the very top of the game. This new league does stop that, this creates a "competition" that no matter how well you do, you have little or no chance of gaining access.

• Like 4