Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Every fan I know of one of the six clubs hates the idea with a passion - I haven't heard any of them speak in favour of it. They are horrified and frightened by it all.

Sky had a poll last night on MNF and I was surprised only 79% were against the ESL. Thought it would be much higher than that. There must be a lot of armchair full-kit willy puller fans of the 'big 6' who support the idea of a breakaway ESL.

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

For games that weren't in the schedule though. Football league fans have to pay a tenner to watch their games. I never got why people cried about that. Sky and BT are giving people football that they haven't paid for by showing all games. PPV was an optional extra

They had cameras and stuff there anyway though tbf. I think it started at £14.95 as well, dropped to £9.95 after the backlash!

These two are almost as bad, but at least it's not a closed shop like the SL, it's only half as bad as this SL idea. The money is just insane that gets pumped around.

1 minute ago, whetstonefox said:

Out of interest are you a season ticket holder/go to a lot of games?. Would you still attend? I was listening to the radio this morning a discussion between a Spurs and a Chelsea fan. As much as they hate the idea of a super league,going to games and supporting their respective teams has played such an important part of their lives they’d find it hard to give up or find a new team. One did say he’d probably just stop going.

I currently dont have a season ticket but have had in the past, grew up not far from Tottenham and it was easy to go to the games.. A few years ago I moved with my family to the Midlands so at the moment don't go to as many games as id like though intended to be a season ticket holder again when the kids are a bit older. But no I will not want to attend if the Super League happens. Not sure i could ever switch teams although i do have an affection for Derby as thats where my mums side of the family are from and they're all Derby fans!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Could there be a sneaky way around this for the Premier League? Norwich are a Premier League club in waiting, get their Premier League registrations etc sorted and they potentially could vote as well? Legally it’s a loophole as you could argue Sheffield United are done and down - and there’s only 20 clubs per season but might be a sneaky way around it

I don't think that will work. Every Premier League club has equal shares in the PL and on a certain day in the summer, these shares are transferred from the relegated clubs to the promoted ones. Norwich won't be a Premier League club until then.

Can anyone answer me this... why would it destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game?

Brighton & Hove Albion are totally opposed to plans for a breakaway European Super League as it would destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game.

26 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

There's some confusion as to whether 14 votes is enough or it needs to be three quarters i.e. 15?

I think they can’t be expelled without 15 but 14 possibly have the ability to change that rule then enact it

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

Can anyone answer me this... why would it destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game?

If your dream is to climb to top of the footballing pyramid and beat the best teams (Currently) in it then sure, otherwise, not so much

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spursfanstu said:

I currently dont have a season ticket but have had in the past, grew up not far from Tottenham and it was easy to go to the games.. A few years ago I moved with my family to the Midlands so at the moment don't go to as many games as id like though intended to be a season ticket holder again when the kids are a bit older. But no I will not want to attend if the Super League happens. Not sure i could ever switch teams although i do have an affection for Derby as thats where my mums side of the family are from and they're all Derby fans!

I feel for you mate, that is truly being stuck between a rock and a hard place.  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absolute bollocks, they've seen the backlash and now are trying to save face.

I hope after all this is sorted major changes are made to football, it can't carry on as it is.

Also laughable to see BT and Sky cry about a monopoly, these ***** were charging us for PPV games a few months ago, they've only annoyed they haven't been offered part of the gravy train.

To be honest Sky and the media as a whole are the main reason it's got to this stage, it benefitted them to throw coal on the fires of the 'big 6' narrative. These clubs have been on media steroids for years.

We've all heard the obvious bias over the past 30 years from them, now the hype has given these clubs so much power that they are about to destroy European football. 

Now the media stand back and blame for the raging fire.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Great statement from Everton FC putting the big 6 Mafia in their place.
All this outrage actually feels like it’s bringing people together and I’m quite enjoying it in a perverse sort of way.

A cynic writes:

yes and no. Everton and its monied backers are probably rightly pi$$ed  that the gravy train left the station without them having spunked a fortune on trying and failing to become an elite club and would have most likely been sitting up with the engine driver given the chance. That said a number of clubs and their backers (including our own) have invested heavily in their clubs and are entitled to feel betrayal and now need to collaborate to make the rump of the premier league ( and the underlying club structures in lower leagues)  a success. If a true altruism and collaboration  is spawned then it may be possible to wrest back much of the money wasted on preposterous wages and avaricious agents to create a decent and more sustainable  financial risk/ reward structure.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Because clubs wouldn't be able to go from the bottom to the top of the footballing world. 

Us being in league 1 going on to with the Premier league and play in the champions league wouldn't be able to happen. It kills off any slight shred of hope that fans of lower standing clubs have of reaching the top one day. 

The likes of Wigan coming from absolute obscurity and playing in Europe would be gone, Hull the same. Clubs that had at one point or another had to go around collecting donations off of fans that end up playing in European competition is something that the super league stops. 

That's why it kills dreams. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Because elite level football becomes a closed shop. We got into the Champions League quarter-finals on merit alone. 

Look at the Premier League now. The title is sewn up, the relegation places are all but done. The only interesting thing left is that us and West Ham might get into the Champions League.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If your dream is to climb to top of the footballing pyramid and beat the best teams (Currently) in it then sure, otherwise, not so much

I can't get my head around the thinking at all. If anything it should give all teams greater chance to be english champions and qualify for european competition.

Every comment I see from clubs just smacks of them being worried that they're gonna lose money due to the other teams not being there lol

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

They are proposing a closed system whereby no one else has a chance to join them or ever hope to compete on their level.

Imagine the premier league now - Liverpool wouldn’t have needed to try against Leeds last night because they are already in the super league by default. In fact as Man City have already wrapped up the prem, none of the super league teams have any incentive to compete in their domestic leagues anymore. They will just field their reserve team and focus on their super league clash vs Real Madrid mid week.

The non-super league teams meanwhile have no way of breaking into that pre-defined elite. 

It will completely destroy football as we know it.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

It breaks the pyramid.  The foundation of our sport is you can reach the top.

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

Because elite level football becomes a closed shop. We got into the Champions League quarter-finals on merit alone. 

Look at the Premier League now. The title is sewn up, the relegation places are all but done. The only interesting thing left is that us and West Ham might get into the Champions League.

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Because clubs wouldn't be able to go from the bottom to the top of the footballing world. 

Us being in league 1 going on to with the Premier league and play in the champions league wouldn't be able to happen. It kills off any slight shred of hope that fans of lower standing clubs have of reaching the top one day. 

The likes of Wigan coming from absolute obscurity and playing in Europe would be gone, Hull the same. Clubs that had at one point or another had to go around collecting donations off of fans that end up playing in European competition is something that the super league stops. 

That's why it kills dreams. 

A team can still get to the Champions league final and win the Premier League.

This breakaway league will be it's own entity and sounds like they want it to become a completely different sport.

The pyramid and european competition will still be there ladies and gentlemen.