Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Still can't decide who I feel has been more screwed over by this. Clubs like ourselves that have dared to challenge the 'big clubs'. Or the lower league clubs that are struggling to even stay in existence due to covid. I think overall I feel the most sorry for the die hard fans of these big clubs, must be absolutely sickening for them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

With respect, I know that the "Big 6" is a well established thing before any of this happened and you've always been included in that but do you wonder if it didn't just stop at 4 or 5 English clubs joining the super league but became the six in order to preserve the 14-6 voting possibilities in the pending meetings regarding sanctions? There's some confusion as to whether 14 votes is enough or it needs to be three quarters i.e. 15?

You could be right.

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Still can't decide who I feel has been more screwed over by this. Clubs like ourselves that have dared to challenge the 'big clubs'. Or the lower league clubs that are struggling to even stay in existence due to covid. I think overall I feel the most sorry for the die hard fans of these big clubs, must be absolutely sickening for them

Every fan I know of one of the six clubs hates the idea with a passion - I haven't heard any of them speak in favour of it. They are horrified and frightened by it all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Absolute bollocks, they've seen the backlash and now are trying to save face.

I hope after all this is sorted major changes are made to football, it can't carry on as it is.

Also laughable to see BT and Sky cry about a monopoly, these ***** were charging us for PPV games a few months ago, they've only annoyed they haven't been offered part of the gravy train.

• Like 1

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

Every fan I know of one of the six clubs hates the idea with a passion - I haven't heard any of them speak in favour of it. They are horrified and frightened by it all.

Impossible to know for sure but I'd like to think Top and Vichai would've never entertained this

Just now, demon_dog said:

Not sure if it is possible to deny a player registration to play.

This could probably be fought in a court of law under the human rights act.

You cannot stop someone from legitimately working.

If the government doesn't recognise the legitimacy of the ESL it would be very easy. Likewise if ESL players were banned from international football they wouldn't be able to meet the requirements anyway.

10 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

With respect, I know that the "Big 6" is a well established thing before any of this happened and you've always been included in that but do you wonder if it didn't just stop at 4 or 5 English clubs joining the super league but became the six in order to preserve the 14-6 voting possibilities in the pending meetings regarding sanctions? There's some confusion as to whether 14 votes is enough or it needs to be three quarters i.e. 15?

Could there be a sneaky way around this for the Premier League? Norwich are a Premier League club in waiting, get their Premier League registrations etc sorted and they potentially could vote as well? Legally it’s a loophole as you could argue Sheffield United are done and down - and there’s only 20 clubs per season but might be a sneaky way around it

8 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

Today's Premier League meeting is pivitol. If, by whatever means, those clubs are given a clear choice of Premier league OR super league, and they opt to leave, then football will recover. There may be a short term hit from TV income etc. But Manchester is too big a city to not have domestic football, Liverpool/London will have enough demand for it. Supporters of those clubs will still want to see their team live playing other clubs within this country. New phoenix clubs will form, within a decade they could conceivably work their way back, and that's enough time to build/find a stadium big enough. FC United have a headstart in this respect. 

The alternative is that the leagues appease them, they continue in a league with funding that will ensure that the league is weighted in their favour, and those clubs will between them be running a league that other clubs aspire to join. That will ensure that ultimately the other clubs will have to concede the power to them for controlling domestic football, as they showed a few months back is their intention. Once that happens, you can be sure that they will then start to hoover up all the domestic revenue for themselves, similar to how its been in Spain for years, there will also be a reduction in the size of the Premier league to reduce the amount of domestic games to allow them to increase their euro fixtures. Plus I'd expect them to be selling premier league 'home' games to the highest bidder amongst cities around the world. 

The Premier league/fa need to hold there nerve. There's a chance hid to rid English football of some of its worst parasites in one go, and cleanse the whole lot up, or they can relent and then it will be ruined permanently. 

Yes, I increasingly think that an appeasement-based compromise allowing SL to proceed but clubs to remain in PL is the worst possible solution - and the same probably applies for the Spanish & Italian leagues.

It needs to be SL or PL for the Sleazy Six.

If SL clubs are allowed to remain in the PL, the risk is that they act as vampires on domestic football, destroying it over the medium term.

If they piss off to the SL with a clean break, domestic football will take a big financial hit and will have to restructure big-time - but could come back stronger over the medium-term, if restructuring is done right.

If the wantaway clubs back down and cancel the SL (which I don't expect - it's gone too far), there'd be a lot of bitterness for a while and need for mechanisms to ensure it never happens again....but medium-term we could get over it.

Also, how the hell would European qualification work if these clubs proceed with the SL but remain in the PL?

A restructured Champions' League and Europa League would still exist, presumably. If England continued to have 4 qualifiers for the CL, would they be the 4 highest finishers ignoring the SL clubs? :dunno:

If the current PL table were repeated, that would mean we'd be sending the teams finishing 3rd, 4th, 8th & 10th to the CL....and lower-ranked teams to Europa League, depending on who won the domestic cups.

Actually, watching Leicester, West Ham, Everton & Leeds in the CL and, say, Villa, Wolves & Saints/Newcastle in the EL would be refreshing. Likewise, seeing a few different clubs from Spain, Italy etc.

• Like 2

Just now, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Could there be a sneaky way around this for the Premier League? Norwich are a Premier League club in waiting, get their Premier League registrations etc sorted and they potentially could vote as well? Legally it’s a loophole as you could argue Sheffield United are done and down - and there’s only 20 clubs per season but might be a sneaky way around it

15/21 still isn't 75% though.

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We fans have to take some responsibility for allowing the game to be taken from us, we have become lazy and just consumed football in abundance. We’ve allowed big clubs to be come conglomerates by watching and paying for games put on a plate by broadcasters that don’t really even interest us. We’ve for too long accepted the narrative of a big six and their right to be at the top. It’s time to take the game back, we are the money in football, we hold the power if wish to seize it but we have to drop colours and allegiance and fight back together. 

Well said. There is a sense of entitlement that has been fostered at the top of the game for a long time now. 

• Like 1

reliance on anti-trust/ anti- monopoly and cartel legislation to defeat the "super" league is surely doomed to fail. I'm no lawyer but surely that type of legislation's  whole rationale is to  is enshrine the rights of a organisation to exist and exert competition to  challenge the status quo . the fact that the bold newcomers are  a bunch of self interested scumbags doesn't enter in to it 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We fans have to take some responsibility for allowing the game to be taken from us, we have become lazy and just consumed football in abundance. We’ve allowed big clubs to be come conglomerates by watching and paying for games put on a plate by broadcasters that don’t really even interest us. We’ve for too long accepted the narrative of a big six and their right to be at the top. It’s time to take the game back, we are the money in football, we hold the power if wish to seize it but we have to drop colours and allegiance and fight back together. 

We're only a portion of the money though. The overseas TV rights are a massive part of the money and that's what's driving this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Great statement from Everton FC putting the big 6 Mafia in their place.
All this outrage actually feels like it’s bringing people together and I’m quite enjoying it in a perverse sort of way.

The unity it has provoked among people from every single walk of life is really quite remarkable.

No matter club allegiances, political views, geographical location, class background every single person in the European football community (except the 6 vile billionaire families ofc) has been completely united against this. 

Edited by 1994fox
Typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, spursfanstu said:

The past 48 hours have been bizarre, I wanted Jose gone as I am against his style of football and he was bringing the club down but i'm finding it hard to feel any emotion about it at the moment. We have a Cup Final on Sunday, usually i'd be excited about it but feel nothing.

The ESL will be nothing more than glorfied friendlies, we stand no chance of winning it but with no chance of relegation who cares? and will the club prioritise the ESL over the PL so we start seeing reserves played in the league games to make way for the ESL that isn't about real fans at all.

Out of interest are you a season ticket holder/go to a lot of games?. Would you still attend? I was listening to the radio this morning a discussion between a Spurs and a Chelsea fan. As much as they hate the idea of a super league,going to games and supporting their respective teams has played such an important part of their lives they’d find it hard to give up or find a new team. One did say he’d probably just stop going.

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Everyone is kind of on an equal footing with this. 

The timing of this announcement is beyond terrible and a real slap in the face of a lot of smaller clubs due to the struggles they are currently facing due to the pandemic. But even if covid never happened it will still place an unbelievable strain on most.

Where we are equal with the likes of the lower league clubs is that everyone has a shot at glory. We're lucky as Leicester fans that we are where we are. But let's not forget that teams like Bolton, Bradford, Swindon, Oldham etc etc have all had a shot at the premier league. This new concept removes a shot at glory. 

I do feel sorry for "proper" football fans most of all, even United, Liverpool, City fans etc

The only group of fans that gains anything from this are foreign football fans who have never set foot in England, let alone been to Old Trafford and the like.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Absolute bollocks, they've seen the backlash and now are trying to save face.

I hope after all this is sorted major changes are made to football, it can't carry on as it is.

Also laughable to see BT and Sky cry about a monopoly, these ***** were charging us for PPV games a few months ago, they've only annoyed they haven't been offered part of the gravy train.

For games that weren't in the schedule though. Football league fans have to pay a tenner to watch their games. I never got why people cried about that. Sky and BT are giving people football that they haven't paid for by showing all games. PPV was an optional extra

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Not sure if it is possible to deny a player registration to play.

This could probably be fought in a court of law under the human rights act.

You cannot stop someone from legitimately working.

You can’t influence the minds of the people selecting the England squads, however. 

If Southgate states he’s not going to select players from the breakaway six clubs, and he has the backing of his employer (the FA) then that’s that. He could say that he’s (not) selecting those players due to their current mindset, or use any fabricated reasoning