Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

Without doubt some of the so-called 'Big 6' Clubs don't like it because what they see as minnows are either catching them up and in some instances overtaking them.

No Club wherever they are based are bigger than the game and the FA & the EPL have to stay firm and thwart this outlandish idea.

Ironically, it seems strange that now as a nation we have come out of the EU some in football want to re-join!!

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

So they didn't ask the current Champions League holders not last year's other finalists? Both who are champions of their domestic leagues? This stinks of a butt hurt child who has been told no.

Probably knew they'd be dead set against it. Let's face it, they're hardly the beacon of good judgment when teams like Spurs and Arsenal are invited who have had moderately low success on the pitch recently compared to other sides... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Florentino Perez is absolute scum of the earth, but some of what he says does have merit IMO. The television model as it is doesn’t really work very well for clubs or fans. If you offered me the chance to subscribe to Leicester city, to watch every game on my TV, with a phone app or whatever, and it was organised by the club itself so all money went to them... I’d say that’s superior to the current model from a fan perspective. I can’t attend every game, but I will watch every game and ideally I want all of the money I spend to go to the club. 

It would probably mean a wider discrepancy in income between the bigger commercial clubs and the likes of Leicester, however. I could still see this and/or some sort of player salary cap eventually coming in to place. 

The monetary disparity would be there, however I could live with that as it would actually be on merit. 

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Brilliant to see. "I don't like it, I hope it doesn't happen. I agree with most of what people have said about it" 

Bamford echoing that too 

Dear Football Daily, I believe the word you're looking for there is 'uproar'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I honestly can't see it happening.  Certainly not as a long term project.

Let's say they get their 15 founder members (which I'm not sure they will), and they form this breakaway league.  The Premier League ban them from the Premier League, the FA ban them from domestic competitions, UEFA ban the clubs from the existing European competitions and ban the players from internationals.

The 5 teams that the self appointed Gods of Football allow to qualify for the Super League - how many will actually take part given the sanctions?  Not many, certainly no Premier League clubs.

Now the Super League will need to sell media packages to world to fund their project, but I just don't see it being an easy sell.  A league where the only thing worth playing for is to win the title.  After about 5 rounds of fixtures, 85% of games will be utterly meaningless friendlies.

It's a non-starter in my opinion.  Far more likely that those owners will look to sell the clubs and move on.  And I wonder if that might open the door to fan ownership?

Be careful, this is exactly what they want. Look at the NFL model. They only play what, 13/14 regular season games and potentially another 3 if you reach the Super Bowl. That’s what these greedy ***** want. And over time so will the players. It will all be money led and the player salaries will be insane. They have the financial backing and it’s very realistic this will happen. 

Ask a player today and they would say they don’t like it and still want to play for their country, give it 5/10 years and their national team will be a distant memory. 

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

So they didn't ask the current Champions League holders not last year's other finalists? Both who are champions of their domestic leagues? This stinks of a butt hurt child who has been told no.

LOVE that indefinite article before ‘bullshit’!

9 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

This whole thing is just basically a bargaining chip to make sure they get their way with the proposed changes to the champions league format. 

I’m torn on this. Would some of these clubs have put themselves under so much scrutiny to get EUFA their own way? Arsenal, Spurs... maybe as they could be rewarded with a place in the Champions League. Man City, Barca, Real?? They didn’t need to get involved if this was the case. There seems to be far too much tension between ESL and EUFA for this to have been engineered by EUFA for their own gain. 

On the new CL format though, with viewing figures dropping and the midweek fixtures being at a bad time for the global audience. Will EUFA try and shoehorn some big games into weekend fixtures? This would be a big step in the wrong direction.

I know the final is played on a weekend now but that’s a one-off and makes for a good occasion to be fair. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

Bottom line is that these clubs don't need the fans in the UK. 

They don't care about you or me or any other club in the football pyramid. 

There's plenty of fans around the world that will be on board with this. 

Some fans in the UK will be ok with this.

Football is now broken and we need new laws and regulations to safeguard it's future. 

Fu CK billionaires. Corbyn was right no one should have that much money.

• Like 1

To have the audacity to say we have a God given right to be at the top end of the game based on our “history” it just stinks of pure greed, in a 100 years time maybe Ipswich town will be a successful club, football is cyclical and that’s the beauty of it.

Just now, Happy Fox said:

To have the audacity to say we have a God given right to be at the top end of the game based on our “history” it just stinks of pure greed, in a 100 years time maybe Ipswich town will be a successful club, football is cyclical and that’s the beauty of it.

I have noticed that people tend to invoke deities when trying to justify doing something heinous.

7 minutes ago, 21st Century Fox said:

It's amazing how removed from reality these owners are. What market research do they have that's telling them that people are switching off because of the length of a game and not the ridiculous costs of TV packages, match tickets etc..

Looking at all the muppets on twitter backing shortening games, they are probably right. 

At the end of the day every change the Big Sux want is designed to net them more money. 

Pay per view tv = more money for them.

CL shuffle = more money and guaranteed entry.

ESL = more money

There is no outcome that they want which isn’t about more money for them.

There is no interest in saving football, just saving themselves. A number of the 12 clubs are in around £1 billion debt and the others are bleeding to a degree. 

Hit them hard. Punish them as hard as we can and they will squeal back into line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No escape clause for the 12??? Sheesh, that sounds like a big gamble, or they do have some cast iron security

Don't fully believe that, not one business owner would sign that contract without an escape if it went tits up

• Like 1

Just now, Babylon said:

Rubbish, don't believe for one second there isn't. 

This was my first thought, it may be that Perez knows his neck is on the block and he is going down fighting - it just seems unlikely such businessmen don`t cover their asses

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I have noticed that people tend to invoke deities when trying to justify doing something heinous.

Morally and spiritually this is abhorrent in my humble opinion, I am sure the Footballing God’s agree 😉 

26 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Florentino Perez is absolute scum of the earth, but some of what he says does have merit IMO. The television model as it is doesn’t really work very well for clubs or fans. If you offered me the chance to subscribe to Leicester city, to watch every game on my TV, with a phone app or whatever, and it was organised by the club itself so all money went to them... I’d say that’s superior to the current model from a fan perspective. I can’t attend every game, but I will watch every game and ideally I want all of the money I spend to go to the club. 

It would probably mean a wider discrepancy in income between the bigger commercial clubs and the likes of Leicester, however. I could still see this and/or some sort of player salary cap eventually coming in to place. 

He also said the big clubs have lost €5b in two seasons like it's anyone else's fault but theirs. There will never be an acceptable amount for this cretin. The ESL would just cause them to spend more to be competitive because that's what their fans would demand. 

They could realistically increase their losses while throwing every other well run club to the wolves.