Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

This is from the PL Handbook rule B7

B.7. Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 27, the League may expel a Club from membership upon a special Resolution to that effect being passed by a majority of not less than three-quarters of such members as (being entitled to do so) vote by their representatives or by proxy at a General Meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the Resolution has been duly given

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Considering he's definitely a player in line for one of these clubs and is possibly shutting himself out of a huge pay packet, then Little Wes has big balls

I think these people underrate the desire the majority of professional footballers have to compete, most of them likely genuinely love the game and most will have served their time at smaller clubs. So many of them also come from poor backgrounds where they understand what football means to communities. Obviously there are exceptions, and once the money comes some forget their roots, but footballers as individuals rarely deserve the assumptions most people hold about them. 

I personally think this mess will result in some sort of salary cap for players and a cap on agents fees to help the keep the costs of running one of these huge clubs down. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't spoken out yet, I want Brendan turning up at tomorrow's presser dressed as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

There’s a meeting isn’t there. Club won’t announce anything until that’s happened. Expect Brendan to be very coy in his presser. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't spoken out yet, I want Brendan turning up at tomorrow's presser dressed as General Maximus Decimus Meridius.

I listened to the Extra Time show yesterday - absolutely no discussion of the ESL whatsoever, so clearly they have been told by the club not to discuss it. Hopefully this is a case of us not just jumping in feet first and using our influence behind the scenes. 

Just now, rachhere said:

I listened to the Extra Time show yesterday - absolutely no discussion of the ESL whatsoever, so clearly they have been told by the club not to discuss it. Hopefully this is a case of us not just jumping in feet first and using our influence behind the scenes. 

We want in probably 😂

• Haha 1

If this goes ahead, and if the clubs involved are removed from all other competitions, including internationally, then the type of player that is attracted to any of these clubs will be the same sort of player that moved to China when their Chinese super league exploded onto the scene. 

I know that this probably won't happen, but I would full on Kevin keegan love it if the "big 6" were removed from the premier league and then sit back and watch as Barcelona and Madrid dominate the super league for the next 23 years, meaning they become a sort of Burnley or Stoke type team and just compete for mid table standings. Then they realise the mistake they've made and come back with theirs tails between their legs only to be told to do one or start in the national leagues. 

I would, as a football fan, feel sorry for their proper fans, but it'd be great to see if their owners lost billions because of it

2 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I feel absolutely sick. I want no part in this if it goes ahead. Even if it doesn't, the trust between fans and board at Manchester City will never recover.

I cannot conceive of a way back from here to be honest, and I feel for the fans of the 12 clubs, they are the mice in the maze of the this experiment.

The reputational damage done between clubs and fans is pretty severe :(

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

There’s a meeting isn’t there. Club won’t announce anything until that’s happened. Expect Brendan to be very coy in his presser. 

Everton have released a club statement from their board. Everyone should follow suit soon enough

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

This is from the PL Handbook rule B7

B.7. Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 27, the League may expel a Club from membership upon a special Resolution to that effect being passed by a majority of not less than three-quarters of such members as (being entitled to do so) vote by their representatives or by proxy at a General Meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the Resolution has been duly given

Three quarters being 15 - which is not achievable with 6 deserters .They're no mugs , which is why it's so worrying  

Everton - for personal reasons - are not a club I've ever been fond of. But I have to say I'm deeply impressed by their statement this morning (in which we get a mention,  pleasingly).

It's a real 'Speak for England, Arthur!' moment (in which a Labour MP stood in parliament to denounce Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler).

Everton just spoke for football. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

From what I've read, doesn't Susan Whelan have a really high standing within the PL Exec group? If so I suspect we could be a leading light in any ramifications, resolution or solving of this. Better to keep our powder dry; there's plenty of time for emotive statements like Everton's. Let's see whether we can help lead the 14, their next move will be really important.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I cannot conceive of a way back from here to be honest, and I feel for the fans of the 12 clubs, they are the mice in the maze of the this experiment.

The reputational damage done between clubs and fans is pretty severe :(

Theres an easy way back, these owners are forced out of their respective ownerships. It's not Manchester City or the other 5 clubs at fault, it's their ownership that has caused this and all clubs involved in this must shed their ownership.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Make 'statements' all you like. 

The problem is, largely, American owned clubs and the idea of a franchise model. Granted the UAE and Abrahamovic are involved but that's for clear financial benefit. 

We've been selling clubs to Americans who have no interest in the sport. It's crippling for the game. 

State all you like. If the Glazers are still at Man U and FSG at Liverpool this isn't off the table with the two biggest clubs because its what their owners know

This.

Frankly, I don't see how the other clubs in the Premier League could ever trust the six want-aways in the future, and to be honest I agree with what Shearer said on the Beeb: ban them, and do it as soon as possible. Finish the season, then tell them all to fvck off. No relegation from the PL this season, promote the top six clubs in the Championship (or reduce the PL to 18 and promote four) and start again in August/September.

Meantime, change the governance of the game so that fans have - as in Germany - a 51% voting majority to stop people like the Glazers, Fenway, Mansour, Abramovitch and the rest leeching off the game. No doubt there will be pain for a while, but it will be a fvcking sight better when they are out of the way.

Edited by LanguedocFox
  • Like 1

You know if our owners had done this, would anyone else be annoyed that it was the club being dragged through the mud and not the greedy owners?

It's literally one or two people that own these clubs that want to milk them dry before leaving them broken and reputations tarnished. Let's be honest, the super league is a terrible idea and people will lose interest in it very quickly (2-3 years).

Edited by filbertway

2 minutes ago, Gillies Apprentice said:

Three quarters being 15 - which is not achievable with 6 deserters .They're no mugs , which is why it's so worrying  

If the PL is unable to throw the 6 clubs out because of this 3/4 rule, then the clear solution wouls be for all the remaning 14 clubs to refuse to play the 6 in the season fixtures.

Eventually, they'd walk away (or come crawling back wanting to play again after the failure of the ESL)

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

Theres an easy way back, these owners are forced out of their respective ownerships. It's not Manchester City or the other 5 clubs at fault, it's their ownership that has caused this and all clubs involved in this must shed their ownership.

How? These are billion pound businesses. 

• Like 1