Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

Arsenal play a youth team to keep the first team fit for Villareal, Newcastle beat Arsenal at home on Sunday, Newcastle turn up to the KP 12 points clear of Fulham and our happy with a narrow defeat knowing they are pretty much safe, has to happen surely?

You haven't yet learnt from Southampton then...

2 hours ago, Koke said:

4 at the back please. Newcastle will park the double decker bus. We will be camped in their half. We don't need 3 CBs + 2 FBs. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Soyuncu

Evans

Castagne 

Ndidi

Tielemans 

Maddison

Perez

Ihenacho 

Vardy

We’re not playing 2 FBs alongside 3 CBs, we’re playing a 3-4-1-2, where the LCB or RCB pushes out toward the flank when the wingback goes forward, so even when we play 3 CBs, it often looks like 4 across the back. 

Our CBs are probably three of our best players right now, so no need to make a change just because of one game of poor attacking play, especially when the midfield players aren’t exactly pulling up trees. And why drop Fofana?

There’s absolutely no guarantee or indication that Ricardo is fit to start too. 

Edited by The_77
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The_77 said:

We’re not playing 2 FBs alongside 3 CBs, we’re playing a 3-4-1-2, where the LCB or RCB pushes out toward the flank when the wingback goes forward, so even when we play 3 CBs, it often looks like 4 across the back. 

Our CBs are probably three of our best players right now, so no need to make a change just because of one game of poor attacking play, especially when the midfield players aren’t exactly pulling up trees. And why drop Fofana?

There’s absolutely no guarantee or indication that Ricardo is fit to start too. 

352 against parked busses are painful to watch. We struggled against Palace and again last night, and we will struggle to break down Newcastle. We've played our best football and gotten our best result this season playing a variation of 433/4231. I appreciate we are missing Barnes to make a 433 work properly. But I can't see us pulling up great trees with last night's approach. Dropped Fofana because he's fasting and I prefer 4 at the back so one CB had to go.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the remaining fixtures and the high stakes involved, it would be madness to change the formation for Newcastle. Especially when it’s probably the shape we need for the final three games. The only issue is around two places - Madders and Thomas. As it was for Saints. Everyone else is an automatic pick right now. For me, swap Timmy, bring in Mark and toss a coin between Madders and Perez as both have massive limitations as things stand right now. 

• Like 1

Must win and I’m already tense.

Newcastle are decent on the counter with Saint-Maximin and Almiron, and we’ve looked susceptible to the counter these last few weeks.

Albrighton or Ricardo for Thomas and possibly Perez for Maddison.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures and the high stakes involved, it would be madness to change the formation for Newcastle. Especially when it’s probably the shape we need for the final three games. The only issue is around two places - Madders and Thomas. As it was for Saints. Everyone else is an automatic pick right now. For me, swap Timmy, bring in Mark and toss a coin between Madders and Perez as both have massive limitations as things stand right now. 

Agree on the nine automatic picks - but I think Ricardo probably plays in all the remaining games...he may not (yet?) be the player he was but he can surely offer more than Thomas and Albrighton have recently?

While I don't think we need to massively change formation, we do need to take into account

Fofana's fitness

Maddison's rubbish form

Albrighton's workrate

I'd personally start the same but swap Perez in for Madders, then at half time take out Fofana, possibly for either Albrighton so we do a kind of 442/424, or flat 442 with Perez and Nacho up top if Vardy is injured and Ricardo on the wing.

It's a bit makeshift but it's best I can see. 

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

You haven't yet learnt from Southampton then...

It was one match, clean sheets are key, even despite that dire performance we still found a goal, 3 clean sheets from 5 games allow us to achieve our 2 targets for the season from now on in, as we will always find a goal no matter how badly we are playing, we beat Newcastle 2-0 

9 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Anyone picking Perez over Maddison need their heads examining. Yes Maddison has been poor since his injury, but at any moment he could burst in to life. And even a poor Maddison is better than Perez. Maddison is quality, Perez is not. 

Yes but he isn't bursting into life and doesn't seem likely too!

9 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Anyone picking Perez over Maddison need their heads examining. Yes Maddison has been poor since his injury, but at any moment he could burst in to life. And even a poor Maddison is better than Perez. Maddison is quality, Perez is not. 

Yeh but is a 70% fit Maddison as good as a 100% fit Perez, Madders looks to me like he’s still struggling 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

13 days, 4 games.

1 FA Semi win, 2 league win, and a draw. 

I think people are losing the plot, I'd have bitten you hand off for this after the West Ham result.

Perspective needed  

I agree here. Not sure where the meltdown has come from.

• Like 1

Move the ball quicker and we will score goals regardless of what formation we played, we scored 3 against Man utd playing 3ATB, we have to go out with intensity in the first half, a week between games, get the first goal, and we can then afford to be patient with our possession play, an control the game from there, but slow passing at 0-0 an a lack of intensity, is asking for trouble regardless of what formation you play.

• Like 2