Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Newcastle Home pre match thread

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

I would drop Vardy for this and play Perez upfront with Iheanacho. Vardy off the bench may be a better option for us right now till he gets back to full fitness 

it sounds sensible this, Vardy will give you more coming on with 30 mins to go than Perez will and against a low block defence, he can sometimes find a pass in and around the edge of the box.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Kasper

Ricardo

Fofana

Evans

Soyuncu

Castagne

Youri

Ndidi

Perez

Vardy

Ian

This. Maddison and Thomas can't remain on current form.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koke said:

352 against parked busses are painful to watch. We struggled against Palace and again last night, and we will struggle to break down Newcastle. We've played our best football and gotten our best result this season playing a variation of 433/4231. I appreciate we are missing Barnes to make a 433 work properly. But I can't see us pulling up great trees with last night's approach. Dropped Fofana because he's fasting and I prefer 4 at the back so one CB had to go.

Do you keep 4 ATB even if Ricardo isn’t fit?

I think the side is still adjusting to Maddison’s return and he’s still getting up to speed. He and Youri will start clicking again. 

Also thought that once we finally decided to make diagonal passes against Palace, we completely dominated them and played them off the pitch in the 2nd half. Some tidier finishing by us in that game and last night and we’d see two much more comfortable wins. 

9 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely not. Perez either plays in place of Maddison or gives us the option to replace him from the bench. Failing that, Praet. What makes you think that Vardy isn't fully fit anyway? It's his finishing that has been uncharacteristically lacklustre - but his pairing with Iheanacho has been lethal. 

Changing the subject; this forum can wildly vacillate between delusional optimism (we're going to finish second after beating West Brom and Palace), to the insufferable toxic negativity of the matchday threads. There appears to be very little balance or realism in between, aside from the much needed level headed posts from some of the regular core membership and other more occasional contributors. 

We are a club undergoing significant transformation/transition. No one expected us to become Champions of England in 2016, least of all the owners, which is why it was 5,000-1. But upon promotion, they did set out their vision, which was for us to become regular top five finishers - and they were summarily lampooned by those that supposedly knew better. We have since shown that 2016 was by no means an aberration or a freak "one off" as many suggested at the time. Leicester City are establishing themselves as regular title challengers. Although the Machiavellian orchestration of the Super League has been in progress for some years behind the scenes, the nightmare scenario presented to any of these board members or bean counters is the phrase "doing a Leicester". Though not necessarily behind the inception of the Super League, I'm convinced that the momentum that we've built has created an urgency, if not panic amongst the so called 'big six' and their desire to break away - in the case of Tottenham Hotspur, a borderline existential crisis. 

For this to be sustainable, this transition takes time, investment, ambition and talent. Many on this forum regularly refer to milestones in our odyssey as supporters and it's incredible to witness how far we've travelled in so short a space of time but some seem to demand this to be an overnight transformation. We have charted a course into tempestuous seas as opposed to opting for the rudderless drift of mid table doldrums.

Put simply this is ****ing hard. We need depth, we need ever more resources, we need to be astutely steered and we need an element of luck. I swear to God, based upon our prior successes, many on here now expect this...

46115563_Screenshot2021-05-01103344.jpg.0af4538391b04d366bfd8c5de1f78ca9.jpg

As opposed to this...

1553117478_Screenshot2021-05-01103508.jpg.9aa3da3b454eac71b9a37447a9a7d70a.jpg

We are contesting our first FA Cup Final in over half a century, we are currently third in the Premier League and we are bidding to return to Champions League competition - a massive achievement but one that exacts an enormous toll and pressure upon our resources, our personnel and our players. 

I appreciate that matchday threads channel emotion, but again, some of the reactions last night and irrational responses in this post-match thread alone (which is intended to be reflective) beggar belief. It seems that there is an element of entitlement creeping in here if not arrogance. The pre-match thread largely held that we'd smash these "because they're shit". None of these matches at this level are easy and having beaten us before with ten men in 2019, I was very grateful to come away from St.Mary's with the point. Yeah, we perhaps should have smelt blood, changed formation and put them to the sword in the first half following Vestergaard's dismissal. I'm not for one minute suggesting that the team or manager is beyond criticism...but some of the comments on here are so extreme, you wonder how fickle these ****ers would be should, God forbid, the highly unlikely event that an era resembling Mclintock. Hamilton, Pleat or Levein ever return...or actually if some of the older ones were actually there in the first place? We are being spoiled in comparison. 

None of us comprehend the immense pressures, the strain and the scrutiny that these players are subjected to during that 90 minutes. From our armchairs or recliners - beer to hand, laptop poised to release yet another vitriolic comment condemning Maddison (who rapidly appears to be emerging as the new Chilwell), for shooting when he should have passed or passing when he should have shot on goal. Whilst calls to 'get rid' are simply beyond comprehension. And those that slated Brendan this season?  - these ungrateful ****ers actually deserve no more than the likes of Craig Levein. 

We are doubtless fatigued. Vestergaard's red was actually exactly what we didn't need because it meant breaking down the low block. As fans, we were buoyed by the ostensibly effortless trouncing of the Baggies, but let's face it, like the Blades, they simply gave up. The fact that they appeared to be social distancing from Maddison for the time he was on the field made it even easier. Palace required more of a spirited response but also took a Bergkamp inspired finish from Nacho to kill the game. A game they were very much in.

This will be very close and a win against Newcastle next Friday is vital. I don't expect to beat Chelsea twice in May, but I don't expect we'll lose twice either. I have no idea which I want more. If we do make the top four, the way I see it, we are limping over the line....but what an achievement given our injuries this season and latterly. the loss of JJ and Barnes, which I consider huge. Our reward will not simply be Champions League football, but a stronger deeper squad and in tandem with the new training facility, a huge stride towards where we want to be.

Whatever the outcome, we need to express our gratitude and our pride as supporters, because currently, many of these threads do not. 

A fine analysis , but knee - jerkery is always dominant on football forums.

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

A fine analysis , but knee - jerkery is always dominant on football forums.

I think its a general facet of the internet...the ability to instantly comment.

We have transformed ourselves in a remarkably short space of time from what the press and pundits derisorily regarded as an unremarkable and mediocre yo-yo drab provincial outfit, to a team that has shaken the foundations of the Premier League. Some need to actually take stock and appreciate how far we've come. 

That transformation is ongoing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Thank fuch you’re not in charge!

I mean seriously, drop Vardy 😂😂😂 wtf

Players were tired, we played four matches in 12 days. A week of rest and we’ll be fine, no need to drop the Vardy lad or drastically change things. Vardy got a player sent off in the tenth minute (can’t ask for much more than that!) and was probably not very comfortable after taking a giant’s studs in his leg. 

Although with regards to the drop Vardy thing, I personally wouldn’t, but no player should ever be beyond that, it’s a team game ffs, not Pop Idol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures and the high stakes involved, it would be madness to change the formation for Newcastle. Especially when it’s probably the shape we need for the final three games. The only issue is around two places - Madders and Thomas. As it was for Saints. Everyone else is an automatic pick right now. For me, swap Timmy, bring in Mark and toss a coin between Madders and Perez as both have massive limitations as things stand right now. 

...I would stick with Perez!!!

He adds the extra man in the midfield and will help to take the pressure off Youri and give him the room to play killer passes to the front guys. As we have noticed, when Youri is pressed and not allowed time on the ball we tend to suffer as there will then be little or no creativity, with Madders struggling for form we can bring him on later after Perez has ran himself into the ground.

Maddison for all his skills has struggled with dead ball situations and just not cutting it at the moment, Perez is the one in the driving seat and should stay there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Please no Maddison 

Agreed. Not because he's not playing good enough at the moment. For some reason Maddison and Nacho doesn't work out quite well as it would work with Perez. Almost like he's trying to be there center of attention and sometimes interrupt the flow of the game, while Perez "understands his place" and lets Nacho do his thing. 

Wether it's that or he is just not in form, I'd rather BR doesn't play him next week.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely not. Perez either plays in place of Maddison or gives us the option to replace him from the bench. Failing that, Praet. What makes you think that Vardy isn't fully fit anyway? It's his finishing that has been uncharacteristically lacklustre - but his pairing with Iheanacho has been lethal. 

Changing the subject; this forum can wildly vacillate between delusional optimism (we're going to finish second after beating West Brom and Palace), to the insufferable toxic negativity of the matchday threads. There appears to be very little balance or realism in between, aside from the much needed level headed posts from some of the regular core membership and other more occasional contributors. 

We are a club undergoing significant transformation/transition. No one expected us to become Champions of England in 2016, least of all the owners, which is why it was 5,000-1. But upon promotion, they did set out their vision, which was for us to become regular top five finishers - and they were summarily lampooned by those that supposedly knew better. We have since shown that 2016 was by no means an aberration or a freak "one off" as many suggested at the time. Leicester City are establishing themselves as regular title challengers. Although the Machiavellian orchestration of the Super League has been in progress for some years behind the scenes, the nightmare scenario presented to any of these board members or bean counters is the phrase "doing a Leicester". Though not necessarily behind the inception of the Super League, I'm convinced that the momentum that we've built has created an urgency, if not panic amongst the so called 'big six' and their desire to break away - in the case of Tottenham Hotspur, a borderline existential crisis. 

For this to be sustainable, this transition takes time, investment, ambition and talent. Many on this forum regularly refer to milestones in our odyssey as supporters and it's incredible to witness how far we've travelled in so short a space of time but some seem to demand this to be an overnight transformation. We have charted a course into tempestuous seas as opposed to opting for the rudderless drift of mid table doldrums.

Put simply this is ****ing hard. We need depth, we need ever more resources, we need to be astutely steered and we need an element of luck. I swear to God, based upon our prior successes, many on here now expect this...

46115563_Screenshot2021-05-01103344.jpg.0af4538391b04d366bfd8c5de1f78ca9.jpg

As opposed to this...

1553117478_Screenshot2021-05-01103508.jpg.9aa3da3b454eac71b9a37447a9a7d70a.jpg

We are contesting our first FA Cup Final in over half a century, we are currently third in the Premier League and we are bidding to return to Champions League competition - a massive achievement but one that exacts an enormous toll and pressure upon our resources, our personnel and our players. 

I appreciate that matchday threads channel emotion, but again, some of the reactions last night and irrational responses in the post-match thread alone (which is intended to be reflective) beggar belief. It seems that there is an element of entitlement creeping in here if not arrogance. The pre-match thread largely held that we'd smash these "because they're shit". None of these matches at this level are easy and having beaten us before with ten men in 2019, I was very grateful to come away from St.Mary's with the point. Yeah, we perhaps should have smelt blood, changed formation and put them to the sword in the first half following Vestergaard's dismissal. I'm not for one minute suggesting that the team or manager is beyond criticism...but some of the comments on here are so extreme, you wonder how fickle these ****ers would be should, God forbid, the highly unlikely event that an era resembling Mclintock. Hamilton, Pleat or Levein ever return...or actually if some of the older ones were actually there in the first place? We are being spoiled in comparison. 

None of us comprehend the immense pressures, the strain and the scrutiny that these players are subjected to during that 90 minutes. From our armchairs or recliners - beer to hand, laptop poised to release yet another vitriolic comment condemning Maddison (who rapidly appears to be emerging as the new Chilwell), for shooting when he should have passed or passing when he should have shot on goal. Whilst calls to 'get rid' are simply beyond comprehension. And those that slated Brendan this season?  - these ungrateful ****ers actually deserve no more than the likes of Craig Levein. 

We are doubtless fatigued. Vestergaard's red was actually exactly what we didn't need because it meant breaking down the low block. As fans, we were buoyed by the ostensibly effortless trouncing of the Baggies, but let's face it, like the Blades, they simply gave up. The fact that they appeared to be social distancing from Maddison for the time he was on the field made it even easier. Palace required more of a spirited response but also took a Bergkamp inspired finish from Nacho to kill the game. A game they were very much in.

This will be very close and a win against Newcastle next Friday is vital. I don't expect to beat Chelsea twice in May, but I don't expect we'll lose twice either. I have no idea which I want more. If we do make the top four, the way I see it, we are limping over the line....but what an achievement given our injuries this season and latterly. the loss of JJ and Barnes, which I consider huge. Our reward will not simply be Champions League football, but a stronger deeper squad and in tandem with the new training facility, a huge stride towards where we want to be.

Whatever the outcome, we need to express our gratitude and our pride as supporters, because currently, many of these threads do not. 

Far too much logic in this post. Bin.

• Haha 1

I know it’s an old cliche’ but MUST WIN THIS!

chelski just gained on us again the sneaky buggers. They really are annoying. I hope we beat them in the cup and take 3rd spot.

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

I know it’s an old cliche’ but MUST WIN THIS!

chelski just gained on us again the sneaky buggers. They really are annoying. I hope we beat them in the cup and take 3rd spot.

Only watched a 25 min highlights replay of the Chelsea Fulham match, but they look like they’re playing pretty well. They have a pretty tough fixture list though, so I still think we have a fairly good chance of third. We’ll probably need to at least draw with them though in our PL match.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

For me the only swap is Thomas for Ricardo. You play your best players at this end of the season. A few bad games and you don’t throw away your best players, what horrific management that would be before one of the most important run ins, in our clubs history.

A few of you need to have a word with yourselves. Dropping Vardy or Maddison before our big games makes the situation worse. 

it’s one draw not a 5 game run of losses 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some over-reactions here. Southampton played well and defended doggedly - they wanted to put the 9-0 to bed. We’ve played 4 games in 12 days and looked tired, hence our sloppy passing and poor decision making during the game. We didn’t lose it either!!

We’ll be better against Newcastle. As long as we beat them I think we’ll be fine as I can see us beating Tottenham too, which will give us enough points to qualify for CL

• Like 3