Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Dennis Praet

Guest SO1
4 hours ago, Hales said:

No sale, he is absolutely needed. If Youri gets injured etc. then we are in trouble if he isnt there. He links up well on the right with Timmy too. We need to keep our better players not sell. This team is on an upward trajectory and we need a decent squad with strength in depth. 

This of course doesn't matter if he is unhappy and wants to play more regularly which is fair enough but we will never know that I guess. I am surprised Brendan does not play him more. Maybe he is easing him back in like Ricardo but he isn't going to get match fit or get confidence and momentum sitting on the bench.

As unfair as it is it didn't help that he was injured just as he was hitting top gear and starting regularly. If he wants to move to a slower league with less physicality and competition for places than that's his call. As long as we get paid. Personally think this is BS and typically the type of rumors that follow players at top clubs. He's hungry and he's staying.

Edited by SO1

3 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

People can't have it both ways you either need to involve a player of Dennis talent or sell them. 

The club is dammed if it does and dammed  people would complain about selling him for 20 million but they would complain even more of he's in the team on friday ahead of Youri or Maddison. 

I personally Disagree! I’d have zero complaints about starting Praet ahead of Madders as I said earlier he’s massively underrated but it’s not about start him or sell him we need quality squad depth not just numbers if we want to progress as a club and cement ourselves as a top6 side as well as being competitive in Europe... obviously if he’s not happy with his role at the club and doesn’t believe in his ability to muscle into the starting 11 there’s not much you can do

Edited by dbtcity

If Rodgers and co. rate Tavares and/or KDH, then we need to free up the space. Mendy, Praet and Choudhury are the obvious candidates to move on in that case.

Of those, Praet is the most sellable asset and as decent as he is, I don't think he has been value for money until now.
I wouldn't object to recouping the majority of our outlay and invest the money eslewhere while giving KDH and/or Tavares a chance to prove themselves.

7 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Wouldn't sell for a loss, personally. Think he's a valuable member of the squad. 

Agree with that and, COVID or not, we are surely in the driving seat in respect of how much we're prepared to let him go for.

Just now, nnfox said:

If we are trying to build a squad that is capable of challenging top 4 in the league and competing in the Champions League then Praet is exactly the type of understudy we need.

Losing him would be a backwards step.

Agree with you and I rate Praet. But whilst he is great back up, I'm not entirely convinced he'll want to stay here making 10 - 15 starts in insignificant cup games or when someone is injured or suspended. He has the quality to be a starter in many teams both here and across Europe.

Don’t see the point from our perspective. We are going to have to pay more to sign someone of the same standard than we will get selling him abroad. 

personally don’t understand why we didn’t bring him on for wilf in the last game. That chance at the end falls to Praet and we probably win the game 

Edited by Lambert09

8 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Agree with you and I rate Praet. But whilst he is great back up, I'm not entirely convinced he'll want to stay here making 10 - 15 starts in insignificant cup games or when someone is injured or suspended. He has the quality to be a starter in many teams both here and across Europe.

You are right and in some ways, Dennis Praet is representative of the challenge we face in transitioning from a solid prem team to consistent European challengers.  It can't be done with 11 good players and 7 others sitting on the bench, we need 16 or 17 players at a similar level.  Keeping them all happy is a real challenge.

6 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

People can't have it both ways you either need to involve a player of Dennis talent or sell them. 

The club is dammed if it does and dammed  people would complain about selling him for 20 million but they would complain even more of he's in the team on friday ahead of Youri or Maddison. 

I would be very happy to see him in the team ahead of Maddison, on current form.  

As for saying that we need to involve a player of Praet's quality, if we want to progress to be a team that's regularly competing in Europe then we need to have at least 16 players of similar quality so that rotation doesn't reduce the quality of the team.  That is the situation in all the big clubs and players have to accept that it is a squad game.  It is also an incentive for players to try even harder to improve and impress in training.

Personally I rate Praet highly and in his case I think he has just cause for disappointment at not being used more.  Last Friday was an example of this when out-of-form players were preferred, and when the whole team was deemed to be jaded yet Praet not given the opportunity to bring some energy into the midfield.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

He must have thought there would be more rotation in midfield but Rodgers goes Tielemans , Ndidi and Maddison at almost every opportunity when they are fit. Here lies the problem of recruiting another class midfielder , would they get the same treatment. That is why Mendy, and probably KDH are important squad members they are content to be back up players for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matty98 said:

He's okay but not a lot more imo. If we get a decent offer I wouldn't mind him being sold. I think KDH is more than capable of stepping up and taking Praet's place.

I find it hard to see how you can be so certain about that. KDH's highest level of league performance so far is mid Championship.

I hope he can make the step up but I would expect that we won't see Brendan's assessment on that until we're well into pre-season training.

2 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I find it hard to see how you can be so certain about that. KDH's highest level of league performance so far is mid Championship.

I hope he can make the step up but I would expect that we won't see Brendan's assessment on that until we're well into pre-season training.

From what I have seen I have no worries whatsoever. I try never to underate our players , he seems to have most of what Denis has and should have toughened up considerably this year.

We signed him for £18,000,000 …… so selling him for £15,000,000, isn’t really great business. It’ll be north of that. 

I don’t want to sell him but he’s such a likeable person I can’t begrudge him a move for more regular first team football.

id be such a rubbish football club owner lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

We signed him for £18,000,000 …… so selling him for £15,000,000, isn’t really great business. It’ll be north of that. 

Had two years out of him and 27yo this month.

I'm a great believer in selling players of that age if they aren't regular first teamers, I'd be happy to get £15m as his value isn't going north.

I'm still not sure what his position is, is he a back up to Tielemans or Maddison? Not saying he's not a good player by any means but I'm more than happy to sell and roll the dice again on another player like Soumare who brings something different to the table and has the potential to improve.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We have 25 man squads don't we? If we're going to sign players we have to let some go.

1 Kasper

2 Ward

3 Evans

4 Cags

5 Fofana

6 Amartey

7 Ricardo

8 Castagne

9 JJ
10 Ndidi

11 Mendy

12 Youri

13 KDH

14 Praet

15 Maddison

16 Albrighton

17 Barnes

18 Sowah

19 Perez

20 Nacho

21 Vardy

I think Jakupovic may be leaving. Not sure if we will look to add another senior GK. Thomas is young enough to not have to be included. I may be forgetting someone, but I think there is still room to add a few.

It says a lot about our standing now that a solid player like Dennis is effectively backup. We had players in the 00s who wouldn't lace his boots

He's a decent player for sure but he does lack pace and is behind Maddison and Youri.

Should we land one of our main targets he's a player more likely to go. He has been reasonably good for us and I'd hope he stays but I wouldn't begrudge him a move if it meant him getting 30+ games a season.

Edited by Blue ROI

3 hours ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Would Sevilla even have the £20m+ it would take for us to sell? 

Already qualified for Champions League and that Jules Kounde lad for them is being linked to the big clubs this summer for around €70m

They also have a -€50m net spend on transfers this season so definitely willing to spend more than they make on signings

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1