Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

Melton council have said the bins will be emptied earlier on Monday and Tuesday. Think they will be starting their rounds about 6am and are advising to put your wheelie bin out the night before. Imagine it will probably be the same for many areas as well. That job is hard graft anyway, let alone in 40C heat.

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

purely anecdotal.. but 30+ in the UK feels much more than the same temp in Oz

I agree with this. Was in a capital city in Europe last week (by the sea), it was touching 40 yet felt comfortable, even compared to today here (25-30). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I agree with this. Was in a capital city in Europe last week (by the sea), it was touching 40 yet felt comfortable, even compared to today here (25-30). 

I've said this before about winter temperatures. 

-3 in the UK is horrendous, but -10 in a skiing village is alright.

I got laughed at lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've said this before about winter temperatures. 

-3 in the UK is horrendous, but -10 in a skiing village is alright.

I got laughed at lol

No you're quite right, I was at the base of the slopes in La Thuile, Italy getting ready for a day's skiing, it was -22°c and I had to take my jacket off as I was roasting. Apparently if it's sunny and no wind chill, you've got sunlight bouncing off every surface at you so you're being radiated much more than you would be elsewhere (especially in England, where ambient temperature might be 0°c, but there's barely any daylight, chances are it'll be damp and windy and generally miserable, making it feel much colder)

• Like 2

On 15/07/2022 at 22:31, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Look what the MSM have done, they've got us right where they want us simple as !!!!

Not a specific dig at you, but more these general points. Where have they got us? 

I think you'll realise over the next few days that our culture is simply not cut out for these temperatures. The big issue actually is that the NHS is on its knees, try getting an ambulance at the moment. Unless you're in cardiac arrest, it'll probably be over an hour. Once you get older people dehydrating en masse then it's a recipe for disaster.

Climate change is real, it's not a temporary, anti-freedom thing like covid supposedly was, it will lead to massive wars as more places become uninhabitable, destruction of eco-systems and the demise of humanity (although I highly doubt extinction). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Not a specific dig at you, but more these general points. Where have they got us? 

I think you'll realise over the next few days that our culture is simply not cut out for these temperatures. The big issue actually is that the NHS is on its knees, try getting an ambulance at the moment. Unless you're in cardiac arrest, it'll probably be over an hour. Once you get older people dehydrating en masse then it's a recipe for disaster.

Climate change is real, it's not a temporary, anti-freedom thing like covid supposedly was, it will lead to massive wars as more places become uninhabitable, destruction of eco-systems and the demise of humanity (although I highly doubt extinction). 

I didn’t think your post was funny ….

funnily enough, our little island should become one of the most attractive places to live over the next fifty years as the continent becomes increasingly unbearable for much of the summer. 

48 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Aye it was a joke mate I'm not Matt Le Tissier

• Haha 1

Tuesday afternoon could be mad in e england with temps close to 100f and a wind gusting to 30mph …… think standing in front of a hairdryer on a hot setting …..probably the closest some of us will get to being in a desert windstorm (without the sand of course) 

Still hopeful that the low humidity and breeze will make Tuesday manageable for most and Monday being the first stifling day is ok on that basis. Tuesday night sleeping is going to be really tough, especially in big cities (and in flats where it could be difficult to get a draught through the rooms). 

51 minutes ago, Strokes said:

30c here in kryopiggi, nice breeze blowing across the beach. Lovely sea temperature. Absolute bliss.

How you all coping back in Blighty?

Just put some water out for the birds and the pollinators. Came back inside pronto. Windows open on non sunny side but curtains and windows shut on sunny side. Looking after 10 month old granddaughter soon so will keep her nice and cool hopefully

• Like 1