Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

I love the British way of ramping up everything to the point of hyperbolic oblivion. I’m really hoping the wet wipes at our work (and their are plenty of them) kick up enough of a fuss so that they get forced into sending a company wide email saying you don’t have to work on Tuesday. Got a full day of presentations that I don’t want to do 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I love the British way of ramping up everything to the point of hyperbolic oblivion. I’m really hoping the wet wipes at our work (and their are plenty of them) kick up enough of a fuss so that they get forced into sending a company wide email saying you don’t have to work on Tuesday. Got a full day of presentations that I don’t want to do 

LBC news ran a segment on how to get into water without dying.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Like it or not,

The weather is hot!

And for those who complain,

Would you rather have rain?

Or the beast

From the east,

Who's pissed on Ukraine?

The preference not that we can choose is for the weather not to be extreme. We do need rain even in summer. The trouble with climate change is that winters are becoming wet  mild and windy . 

37 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Like it or not,

The weather is hot!

And for those who complain,

Would you rather have rain?

Or the beast

From the east,

Who's pissed on Ukraine?

I would rather have a normal summer without the extremes. What’s the comment about pissing on Ukraine mean? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Precisely. The absolute fannies on social media and in this thread, spouting on about 1976 like they survived the top floor of 9/11 or something. Jesus.

This is an unprecedented heatwave and yeah, it's the weather, so it might amount to nothing, but damn for sure it is predicted to be absolutely frigging awful for a great number of people in this country.

People will fall ill, some people will die and it'll be horribly uncomfortable for most of the nation. It's hot in other countries, of course it is, but low and behold those countries are built for it. Dubai was brilliant becuase you could escape the heat in an air conditioned environment with the click of a finger.

People seem so determined to reject any sort of advice or warnings these days. I'm fully on board when it's "normal" heat, because we've coped with that (1976 was really hot, has anyone mentioned?) and it does feel like nanny state. But this is meant to be like nothing we've faced before, so let's get braced for it, eh.

If the weather turns and it's only 29 Monday and Tuesday you can smirk and enjoy being so right but for now, let's try and prepare, warn and keep people safe. It's extreme heat, and in this country that means we have to adapt to it.

Also get used to it because this will happen again, and again, and again. 1976 is all well and good and all that (really hot summer if no one had mentioned it before) but we weren't baking in nearly 40 degrees. Context man.

I agree I am seeing an alarming number of people say things like “it’s just summer”. Obviously it’s not is it. If it gets to 40 degrees now what’s it gonna be like in 20 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Precisely. The absolute fannies on social media and in this thread, spouting on about 1976 like they survived the top floor of 9/11 or something. Jesus.

This is an unprecedented heatwave and yeah, it's the weather, so it might amount to nothing, but damn for sure it is predicted to be absolutely frigging awful for a great number of people in this country.

People will fall ill, some people will die and it'll be horribly uncomfortable for most of the nation. It's hot in other countries, of course it is, but low and behold those countries are built for it. Dubai was brilliant becuase you could escape the heat in an air conditioned environment with the click of a finger.

People seem so determined to reject any sort of advice or warnings these days. I'm fully on board when it's "normal" heat, because we've coped with that (1976 was really hot, has anyone mentioned?) and it does feel like nanny state. But this is meant to be like nothing we've faced before, so let's get braced for it, eh.

If the weather turns and it's only 29 Monday and Tuesday you can smirk and enjoy being so right but for now, let's try and prepare, warn and keep people safe. It's extreme heat, and in this country that means we have to adapt to it.

Also get used to it because this will happen again, and again, and again. 1976 is all well and good and all that (really hot summer if no one had mentioned it before) but we weren't baking in nearly 40 degrees. Context man.

Don't worry, one day the Earth and the laws of thermodynamics will disabuse them of that notion.

It's just unfortunate that by that time the material and human cost will be very, very high. 

Anyone work outdoors? What are your plans for tomorrow and Tuesday? I don’t like taking time off when the weathers good but is this too much, supposedly hitting 27° and 30° by 10am with feel like temperatures hitting 30°+ and then increasing through the day. 

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

How do birds cope in the heat (the flying kind)? They can’t be kept inside like domestic animals. And sheep come to think of it. 

Wildlife in general. A reminder to put out a bowl of water each evening for your garden visitors. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Anyone work outdoors? What are your plans for tomorrow and Tuesday? I don’t like taking time off when the weathers good but is this too much, supposedly hitting 27° and 30° by 10am with feel like temperatures hitting 30°+ and then increasing through the day. 

I don’t but people I work with do. How are roofers and chippies meant to cope. Will be absolutely horrific. 

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I don’t but people I work with do. How are roofers and chippies meant to cope. Will be absolutely horrific. 

Surely roofers can’t work, I’ve been on roofs during “normal” hot summer days and the tiles get red hot, plus there is often no escape from the sun. 

6 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Surely roofers can’t work, I’ve been on roofs during “normal” hot summer days and the tiles get red hot, plus there is often no escape from the sun. 

I dunno I guess we will see but the way housebuilding is and with their targets  I wouldn’t be surprised if most are working. 

36 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I’m one of the managers at an outdoor pursuit centre. We are doing a few bits, such as programming sessions sensibly, ie an instructor in the sun one session and then in the shade the next but other than that it’s business as normal here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

1976 is all well and good and all that (really hot summer if no one had mentioned it before) but we weren't baking in nearly 40 degrees. Context man.

1976 was an exception in that there were 15 consecutive days of temps of 32 degrees Celsius, days with relentless sun with no cloud or rain. The ground was cracking and crops were failing. This "heatwave" is set to last until Wednesday. 3-4 days. :dunno:

Sure we need to be aware and forewarned and it won't be pleasant. But in context, its 3 days not 2 weeks.