Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

UK to bake in 33C amid extreme heat warning

10 hours ago, nnfox said:

I'd say 9 times out of 10 the weather forecast leans towards the more extreme end and the weather is rarely as bad as they say it will be.  Not saying that 40 won't happen but at the same time wouldn't be at all surprised if the top temperature on Monday/Tuesday is more like 35-36.  Still hot as hell, but not quite the end of the world.

The issue with weather forecasting in this country is the tabloids and websites (daily express mainly) that simply sensationalise. Usually way too far ahead so completely unreliable and misleading. 

if you use the metoffice website, you won’t go far wrong.  Forecasting more than five days ahead in any detail is only 50/50 and the illustrations of temps and weather etc are generated automatically from computer models. human intervention is required so the prose forecasts are essential to read.   The standard apps on your phone for the current day are usually v good. 

Monday could well only be 35/36 in the e mids but Tuesday more likely to be 38 before it all clears away in the evening - probably with a bang and a crash. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The issue with weather forecasting in this country is the tabloids and websites (daily express mainly) that simply sensationalise. Usually way too far ahead so completely unreliable and misleading. 

if you use the metoffice website, you won’t go far wrong.  Forecasting more than five days ahead in any detail is only 50/50 and the illustrations of temps and weather etc are generated automatically from computer models. human intervention is required so the prose forecasts are essential to read.   The standard apps on your phone for the current day are usually v good. 

Monday could well only be 35/36 in the e mids but Tuesday more likely to be 38 before it all clears away in the evening - probably with a bang and a crash. 

Down south we I am the BBC forecast is 38 on Mon and Tues. Down to 23 on Wed so looking forward to that. Anyway please all use your loaf and look out for the young and old and vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The BBC in particular are risk averse.  They would rather over-hype it to make sure people stay safe than under-play it and be blamed when people are harmed.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's probably the sensible thing, I'm just saying that what might end up happening could well be less severe than what's forecast.

56 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Bloody hell, let's hope we get a vaccine and fast 

Last summer’s heatwave saw 1600 excess deaths …..luckily none of these people were related to you …..

however, Monday and Tuesday will not be a humid heat which should help those with breathing difficulties 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

1200px-20200324_Global_average_temperatu

Just thought this deserved a repost, so everyone can have a much better idea about what is really driving this heatwave, as well as others in terms of frequency and severity.

The observatory I work for (Armagh Observatory in NI) has been recording the weather to varying extents every day since 1795. Most of my work over the last couple of years has been working with this wealth of data and putting it into a form that can be easily accessed by the public. 

Since 1905 the temperature 100cm (and 30cm) below ground has been recorded daily. This filters out a lot of the year to year noise given the insulating effect of the soil above and gives a disturbingly clear view of the upwards trend.  544432643_AOPYearlySoil_100cm_(mean)1905-2021.thumb.png.fdd1520f4310b9f248e0604b483ae0d7.png246510810_AOPYearlyDrybulb(mean)1838-2021.thumb.png.213ea469d8d6e19094b67e9eb7aa1bdf.png

The data is available at weather.armagh.space if anyone is interested.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, reporterpenguin said:

The observatory I work for (Armagh Observatory in NI) has been recording the weather to varying extents every day since 1795. Most of my work over the last couple of years has been working with this wealth of data and putting it into a form that can be easily accessed by the public. 

Since 1905 the temperature 100cm (and 30cm) below ground has been recorded daily. This filters out a lot of the year to year noise given the insulating effect of the soil above and gives a disturbingly clear view of the upwards trend.  544432643_AOPYearlySoil_100cm_(mean)1905-2021.thumb.png.fdd1520f4310b9f248e0604b483ae0d7.png246510810_AOPYearlyDrybulb(mean)1838-2021.thumb.png.213ea469d8d6e19094b67e9eb7aa1bdf.png

The data is available at weather.armagh.space if anyone is interested.

Man after my own heart. :D Seriously, that kind of thing is a job I'd like myself.

It's (darkly) fascinating how you can see the obvious trend. It's also interesting how the Krakatoa eruption volcanic winter in the early 1880's is clearly marked here.

The simple fact is that more extreme events like this will become more common, will result in more loss of life, social cohesion and materiel, and this problem needs to be addressed as quickly as possible, unless the idea of all that loss is somehow considered a price worth paying.

We've been asking our bosses if there's any communication from Amazon regarding the heat on Monday and Tuesday.

They actually cancelled deliveries during the storms last year, when I wasn't working there.

But it seems their attitude right now is....

if-they-die-they-die.jpg

So much for Amazon always saying "Your safety ALWAYS comes first"

💰💰💰

Edited by tom27111

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We've been asking our bosses if there's any communication from Amazon regarding the heat on Monday and Tuesday.

They actually cancelled deliveries during the storms last year, when I wasn't working there.

But it seems their attitude right now is....

if-they-die-they-die.jpg

So much for Amazon always saying "Your safety ALWAYS comes first"

💰💰💰

I guess dying, or not, would depend on whether your vehicles and warehouses have aircon and available water. I hope they do. 

1 minute ago, Blarmy said:

I guess dying, or not, would depend on whether your vehicles and warehouses have aircon and available water. I hope they do. 

The vehicles have air con, but you aren't in them for long enough to feel the benefit in a normal route. You probably get out of your van every 30-45 seconds. Obviously can't leave the vehicle running as you make deliveries for security reasons.

They do have water available at the depot, but if you're working for 6 plus hours, it's actually hot towards the end!

I usually freeze a 2l bottle of water overnight and take it with me in the morning.

I'm not just moaning. If I don't work, I don't get paid, but is it seriously worth being in direct sunlight between 11 and 3 for 130 quid? I don't think it is.

I was feeling it today, god knows how awful Monday will be.

I'm actually off on Tuesday, but obviously the majority of people I work with won't be.

Amazon also need to think of the people they have working in the yards at the depots, literally standing out in the sun all day directing drivers.

It's an unprecedented situation, it would be nice for a massive company to say "you know what, it doesn't matter if Sandra gets the mascara she ordered today, your health is more important"

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The vehicles have air con, but you aren't in them for long enough to feel the benefit in a normal route. You probably get out of your van every 30-45 seconds. Obviously can't leave the vehicle running as you make deliveries for security reasons.

They do have water available at the depot, but if you're working for 6 plus hours, it's actually hot towards the end!

I usually freeze a 2l bottle of water overnight and take it with me in the morning.

I'm not just moaning. If I don't work, I don't get paid, but is it seriously worth being in direct sunlight between 11 and 3 for 130 quid? I don't think it is.

I'm actually off on Tuesday, but obviously the majority of people I work with won't be.

Amazon also need to think of the people they have working in the yards at the depots, literally standing out in the sun all day directing drivers.

It's an unprecedented situation, it would be nice for a massive company to say "you know what, it doesn't matter if Sandra gets the mascara she ordered today, your health is more important"

Genuine question, I wonder how all the delivery drivers cope in hot weather elsewhere? Obviously we get Amazon deliveries too, and the weather you're expecting is normal for us here every day from about June to September lol It's different for us at home, with air con, blinds, pools and so on, and we just learn to keep out of the hottest part of the day, but for the workers I wonder what is different for them? We def still get deliveries in the middle of the day/late afternoon when it's at it's hottest...

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Genuine question, I wonder how all the delivery drivers cope in hot weather elsewhere? Obviously we get Amazon deliveries too, and the weather you're expecting is normal for us here every day from about June to September lol It's different for us at home, with air con, blinds, pools and so on, and we just learn to keep out of the hottest part of the day, but for the workers I wonder what is different for them? We def still get deliveries in the middle of the day/late afternoon when it's at it's hottest...

Good point, I'd thought about that actually and didn't know if they delivered later in the day.

It's just this country Deb, we can't cope with extreme heat or an inch of snow!

Not everyday we have a national emergency declared though!

I was offered drinks by quite a few people I delivered to earlier, which was very kind of them.

I think the majority of the public appreciate us and would understand a day or 2 delay on their parcels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I’m sure all A&Es will have their fair share of self inflicted heat related issues clogging up the real emergencies further affecting waiting times etc etc and for those that do shame on you

Yes we have a lot of idiots that no doubt won't take any telling and are short of common sense

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Not good. Well, for the record, I wouldn’t care a bit if I got something I ordered a few days later than the “norm”. Still blows my mind how fast you can receive stuff these days anyway!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Good point, I'd thought about that actually and didn't know if they delivered later in the day.

It's just this country Deb, we can't cope with extreme heat or an inch of snow!

Not everyday we have a national emergency declared though!

I was offered drinks by quite a few people I delivered to earlier, which was very kind of them.

I think the majority of the public appreciate us and would understand a day or 2 delay on their parcels.

I think the biggest difference is acclimatising to it, which in the UK you don't get to.

When we moved here from the UK in December 2020 it was about 20 degrees, and we were walking around in summer dress/t shirt and shorts. The locals were all in jeans and winter coats, and we stood out a mile as the newbies. Now when it gets below about 22 my leggings and fleece are on and we laugh at the newbies in their shorts, but we're quite comfortable up to about 38 lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I’m sure all A&Es will have their fair share of self inflicted heat related issues clogging up the real emergencies further affecting waiting times etc etc and for those that do shame on you

EMAS have support plans in place for dealing with extra demand as do A&E. Staff working additional shifts, working overtime, coming in on rest days. There's additional support from the organisation such as bottled water at every A&E and ambulance station. However demand will be such that staff will become fatigued very quickly. The other thing is the waiting times at hospitals. 12 hours on the back of an ambulance is common these days. The only way to remain "comfortable" in the back is the aircon but that only works if the engine is running. Some hospitals have banned ambulances from running engines as the fumes affect their own air intake. 

We know from experience that people will go and jump into rivers, lakes and streams causing all kinds of issues. And that idiots will be out doing their garden or simply lying out in the sun for hours. Not enough people will properly pre-hydrate or re-hydrate. This is one of few times I would consider drinking sports drinks as they has most of the necessary ingredients to rehydrate and replace salts lost in heat. 

• Like 2