Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Nampalys Mendy

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

That's so short-term minded though. Mendy will never be more than a back-up player for us and is 30. Soumare has the potential to be a starter for us if he recaptures his Lille form. 

I was confused at the time when people spouted stuff like this but Soumare wasnt even a starter for Lille. He was an impressive fringe player but he hadnt fully proven himself yet even for them.  

I dont think he was the fully finished article that people expected. Yes, he has impressive videos online, yes he was incredibly highly regarded but this wasnt a player who was essential to the side he came from. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah, he had Renato and Andre ahead of him, but it was clear he was a very decent player. I just think there is more value in persisting with Soumare and letting Mendy + Hamza go, unless an offer comes in for similar money to what we paid and we can use it to go and get someone like Sangare. 

Oh I fully agree with everything else you said. I just think everyone's head was off when we signed him to begin with. At the time I assumed I must be missing something but I felt that all the excitement around him was more down to a few people hyping him and others jumping on the bandwagon. 

You have to take a gamble on talent like that so I get the clubs move but we definitely expected too much from him imo. We were talking like we has signed Ndombele or Pepe after their big seasons and the reality is we should have been looking at him more as a project, than the finished article. .... he still is that project for me. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, The_77 said:

Tbf, I like Mendy but we have to change the profile of our squad— we need physicality and players who aren’t afraid of progressive football. Mendy likes to sit back as a safety valve and play the most conservative pass available. 

I don’t know if Mendy becoming our default backup (or least worst option) in that role is enough of a reason to keep him. He’ll also want to play regularly ahead of the World Cup and, let’s face it, that’s not going to happen next season. 

A9010B23-31BA-40C5-B6A0-0D86AC501C3D.jpeg

If you get rid of Mendy then a replacement is needed to play that deeper role for when Ndidi is injured or rested. Hamza is definitely not the answer, Soumare is way off the pace, Tielemans can’t do it and I’m not sure it’s KDH’s game either. 

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I personally thought Soumare was better at the start of last season when he did play in a midfield 2 as the perceived DCM. He got crapper as the season wore on to the point he then was never picked.

Your right. Thing is regardless of what’s going on off the pitch, iif your not playing and only getting scraps of game time your confidence drops and it’s hard to get going sometimes. Still think with time he could be good for us. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

If you get rid of Mendy then a replacement is needed to play that deeper role for when Ndidi is injured or rested. Hamza is definitely not the answer, Soumare is way off the pace, Tielemans can’t do it and I’m not sure it’s KDH’s game either. 

We’ve been trying to send him out since last summer’s window, I think we’re prepared for this scenario. 

6 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Oh I fully agree with everything else you said. I just think everyone's head was off when we signed him to begin with. At the time I assumed I must be missing something but I felt that all the excitement around him was more down to a few people hyping him and others jumping on the bandwagon. 

You have to take a gamble on talent like that so I get the clubs move but we definitely expected too much from him imo. We were talking like we has signed Ndombele or Pepe after their big seasons and the reality is we should have been looking at him more as a project, than the finished article. .... he still is that project for me. 

He'll always be a project.shocking signing

19 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Yes, I distinctly remember some posters promising the new Ya Ya Toure,  We got the new Mark Blake.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Yes, I distinctly remember some posters promising the new Ya Ya Toure,  We got the new Mark Blake.

...he appeared to be a gifted player and just what we needed on the pitch!!!

If he has come here without the correct mindset, that will reflect in his output. 

If he does not see himself at this club,  then I hope he will be honest enough to voice his misgivings. We haven't the finance or the budget to carry players who are not prepared to give 100%, even if those efforts falls short of our expectations. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...he appeared to be a gifted player and just what we needed on the pitch!!!

If he has come here without the correct mindset, that will reflect in his output. 

If he does not see himself at this club,  then I hope he will be honest enough to voice his misgivings. We haven't the finance or the budget to carry players who are not prepared to give 100%, even if those efforts falls short of our expectations. 

Every time I see your name I read it as sacred blue tits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Imagine if Soumaré consistently had put in charity shield performances for us last season. We would be chuffed with his signing. He's shown he has quality, its up to him whether we'll ever see it

He played well that game because he was playing in Tielemans position and helping progress the ball forwards like he did at Lille.

He could also replicate Mendy’s attributes as the DCM in Brendan’s 4-3-3 formation.

Soumare is worth keeping imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Imagine if Soumaré consistently had put in charity shield performances for us last season. We would be chuffed with his signing. He's shown he has quality, its up to him whether we'll ever see it

7 hours ago, Shane said:

He played well that game because he was playing in Tielemans position and helping progress the ball forwards like he did at Lille.

He could also replicate Mendy’s attributes as the DCM in Brendan’s 4-3-3 formation.

Soumare is worth keeping imo.

I really want to agree with you both but we’ve all probably been guilty in the past classing the Community Shield as a glorified end to pre-season.

Hence why Soumare looked better than other games.

I also can’t ever condone a CM having zero intentions or ability to track a player, how many players ghosted past him would be inexcusable at Sunday League level.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, westernpark said:

You’re probably the first person to ever click on his player profile.

Yeah, it's probably it's had that status for about two seasons!

On a serious note, I personally would have kept Mendy. I think he's been good for us overall. reliable when called upon, and a perfect squad player to fill in for Ndidi.

35 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Bumping this as official site has Mendy listed as no longer playing for the club, looks like a deal for him to leave to be announced anytime soon. 

F50EB804-CAC4-4904-A38B-4A6FCB6F4D74.jpeg

probably has been like this since we loaned him out and no one bothered to changed it.

5 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Or the YTS boy has had a stinker confusing a loan somewhere for a full transfer?

3 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

probably has been like this since we loaned him out and no one bothered to changed it.

Got to be more to it than this. I reckon he has gone, and there will be an announcement shortly.

This whole first team players page has just been revamped in the last two days, so.........

• Like 1