Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Nampalys Mendy

1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

If Soumare is Ndidi’s back up this season, then bloody hell we do genuinely have very little aspirations of kicking on.

Soumare is NOT a DM. 

Without being over dramatic, I worry about Wilf being fit all season as doesn’t seem to have achieved that feat in years….#WelcomeSangare (one can dream)

He had a difficult first season, but the whole team did. He's got the attributes to play that role, just depends on Rodgers and the staff can get the best out of him. We've seen some good glimpses in pre-season.

Sangare would be ideal for pushing on as he's arguably even more well rounded than Ndidi.

But given our lack of activity + the fact there's other positions that need strengthening more than CDM. Highly doubt we'll be in for him. 

19 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

He had a difficult first season, but the whole team did. He's got the attributes to play that role, just depends on Rodgers and the staff can get the best out of him. We've seen some good glimpses in pre-season.

Sangare would be ideal for pushing on as he's arguably even more well rounded than Ndidi.

But given our lack of activity + the fact there's other positions that need strengthening more than CDM. Highly doubt we'll be in for him. 

I’m a broken record (so genuinely apologize  in advance).

1) stating a players improvement in pre-season is not a debate for me, he’s played against Hull and Derby with all the time in the world.

2) His attributes on paper might look like he has the ability to do it but seeing players drift past him on a regular basis in the pace of the PL means I genuinely cannot see him being a quality DM in the PL at any stage - it was genuine school boy stuff.

The links to Monaco have died down though which is worrying as we could do with that wedge/player off the squad who isn’t improving the starting 11.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, moore_94 said:

He is great for recycling the ball and keeping it moving around in the middle of the pitch and that is about it

He doesn’t tackle, intercept, create, or really carry/progress the ball forward at all

That's enough about Harry Winks thanks. We've not even signed him yet. :whistle:

And let's hope we never do!

On 30/07/2022 at 02:52, Sampson said:

He never has a bad game because he is the most risk-averse and negative player you're ever likely to see, so it's impossible for him to have a bad game if you only ever make sure-fire 100% certain sideways and backwards passes.

Yet he constantly breaks down counter-attacks by refusing to ever play through balls. He slows down our play. For everyone complaining about how boring and negative Rodgers' football is by passing it about 1,000 times, there is no one in the squad who is more responsible for that than Mendy.

His fbref profile is hilarious - in the top 2% of players for passes completed, but in the bottom 2% of players for progressive passes and doesn't rank particularly well with regards to defensive work either - his pressing and interceptions for example are both extremely poor for a supposed defensive/deep-lying midfielder -

There's probably not a more risk-averse and negative player in the Premier League than Papy Mendy.

image.thumb.png.48d5ce91035bbf39862a0d36251f028d.png

I never got why some fans hail him as some kind of good option - I mean he's fine as a 5th or 6th choice central midfielder if you ever no other options, but I really don't get why any fan wouldn't be happy to see him gone.

Whats his wages again?

probably most frustrating player to watch to - has ball all the time, but never actually tries to make a forward pass. not just a forward pass, he is afraid to turn towards opposition half

On 29/07/2022 at 23:52, Sampson said:

He never has a bad game because he is the most risk-averse and negative player you're ever likely to see, so it's impossible for him to have a bad game if you only ever make sure-fire 100% certain sideways and backwards passes.

Yet he constantly breaks down counter-attacks by refusing to ever play through balls. He slows down our play. For everyone complaining about how boring and negative Rodgers' football is by passing it about 1,000 times, there is no one in the squad who is more responsible for that than Mendy.

His fbref profile is hilarious - in the top 2% of players for passes completed, but in the bottom 2% of players for progressive passes and doesn't rank particularly well with regards to defensive work either - his pressing and interceptions for example are both extremely poor for a supposed defensive/deep-lying midfielder -

There's probably not a more risk-averse and negative player in the Premier League than Papy Mendy.

image.thumb.png.48d5ce91035bbf39862a0d36251f028d.png

I never got why some fans hail him as some kind of good option - I mean he's fine as a 5th or 6th choice central midfielder if you ever no other options, but I really don't get why any fan wouldn't be happy to see him gone.

French football teaches a different game to us, Papy is usually a reliable pass em to death, deep-lying metronome and some of his game is ill served by the measured stats. Which one covers patiently shutting down passing lanes when defending space, and not lunging recklessly in and putting your team mates in trouble?

I think that in a possesion based side he was on the fringes of the French squad when he came to us, and whilst I don't think he is hugely well suited to the PL because of its physicality, his style is not unusual where he learned his football.

Did you see his assist for Daka last week, or did you temporarily black out due to cognitive dissonance?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

French football teaches a different game to us, Papy is usually a reliable pass em to death, deep-lying metronome and some of his game is ill served by the measured stats. Which one covers patiently shutting down passing lanes when defending space, and not lunging recklessly in and putting your team mates in trouble?

I think that in a possesion based side he was on the fringes of the French squad when he came to us, and whilst I don't think he is hugely well suited to the PL because of its physicality, his style is not unusual where he learned his football.

Did you see his assist for Daka last week, or did you temporarily black out due to cognitive dissonance?

When he joined for 10m even Kante wasn’t in the French team and he left for 20m after winning the league.

5 u21 French caps 6 years before signing.

32 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

A great pass made all the more remarkable by how totally and utterly out of character it was.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Guest said:

A great pass made all the more remarkable by how totally and utterly out of character it was.

I’m struggling to come up with another example of when he’s made a similar pass, it’s just not his style. Hope to see more of that if he stays with us. 

12 hours ago, tsintskaro said:

Whats his wages again?

probably most frustrating player to watch to - has ball all the time, but never actually tries to make a forward pass. not just a forward pass, he is afraid to turn towards opposition half

...his job is to look after the ball!!!

There are plenty of players on the pitch who can seek to progress  the play. If you watch our backline they (apart from Fofana) recieve the ball with their backs to our goal and their first action is to go backwards, it has been drilled into them.

Always looked as if he could be a progressive player, but if he is on the pitch and there is no Wilf then he keeps us ticking over, he is not going to be allowed to go forward,  we need to keep possession, and he does that.

If I recall,  wasn't he a skipper in a Puel side before he came here. He has done well to bounce back, after his first seasons problem. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...his job is to look after the ball!!!

There are plenty of players on the pitch who can seek to progress  the play. If you watch our backline they (apart from Fofana) recieve the ball with their backs to our goal and their first action is to go backwards, it has been drilled into them.

Always looked as if he could be a progressive player, but if he is on the pitch and there is no Wilf then he keeps us ticking over, he is not going to be allowed to go forward,  we need to keep possession, and he does that.

If I recall,  wasn't he a skipper in a Puel side before he came here. He has done well to bounce back, after his first seasons problem. 

I totally get where you’re coming from.

Possession wise, Mendy is tidy.

BUT…for a DM, their first responsibility is to break up attack/protect the defence which Mendy’s stats are shocking.

He isn’t physical or mobile enough to play the DM role in the PL so fans rightfully pick up his lack of any other real core DM attributes.

37 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I totally get where you’re coming from.

Possession wise, Mendy is tidy.

BUT…for a DM, their first responsibility is to break up attack/protect the defence which Mendy’s stats are shocking.

He isn’t physical or mobile enough to play the DM role in the PL so fans rightfully pick up his lack of any other real core DM attributes.

...much like a great defender (Paolo Maldini) has said, if you have to go to ground to make a tackle, then you have already made a mistake!!!

The perception of a DM would be someone who is physical and robust in his actions. You can also be effective in positioning, and proficient, in tidying up the play when under attack.

Perhaps knowing when to stay on your feet and reading the game is a skill after all.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...much like a great defender (Paolo Maldini) has said, if you have to go to ground to make a tackle, then you have already made a mistake!!!

The perception of a DM would be someone who is physical and robust in his actions. You can also be effective in positioning, and proficient, in tidying up the play when under attack.

Perhaps knowing when to stay on your feet and reading the game is a skill after all.

Again mate, I agree with the sentiment of your post.

Who am I to challenge Maldini BUT he was talking about a CB not a DM who in modern football is pivotal to freeing up your other attacking players.

Imagine if we play with the same tactics from pre-season :

Narrow full backs who overload the middle of the park to push up other players closer to Vardy, this offers so many positives but defensively has one glaring weakness, a huge threat to a quick counter exposing our lack of width in the back line….a fully fit Ndidi can offer this protection….Mendy sadly cannot.

That’s just one example of how quoting a CB from a previous era can’t be used sadly mate.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I genuinely think he is better than the current Wilf but it makes sense to move him on as brendan simply doesnt utilise him enough. 

Anything but a terrible loan deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

I genuinely think he is better than the current Wilf but it makes sense to move him on as brendan simply doesnt utilise him enough. 

Anything but a terrible loan deal. 

It's a shame and I was happy for him to he a bit part player in his first couple of years, but in the last year or so his passing ability has really progressed and I'd prefer to keep him.