Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Nampalys Mendy

2 minutes ago, turlo said:

Will mostly likely depend on whether Soumare stays and if Rodgers feels he can cover Wilf as either the holding midfielder or as a DM in the 3 man midfield. 

We played the back half of our European campaign without using a DCM, even with the availability of Soumare and Hamza. Not ideal, I know, but I am not sure Mendy's future depends on Soumare.

Not good enough and I think getting him off the wage bill and trusting Brunt as the back up DM is worthwhile. Ndidi will be fit and with fewer games Mendy wouldn't play much anyway. We'd make a net saving of a few million too with the fee and wages.

• Like 2

One thing we’ve got to consider is Wilf, over the last two seasons he’s shown signs of being susceptible to injuries, and it really damages what we can do when he’s out the side. So if Mendy goes we will have to look for a CDM alternative, I don’t think we can afford to have just Wilf. 

• Like 3

Unless we have 2 excellent cup runs this season we don't have enough games to keep him happy. Unless Wilf gets injured again and then the season's scuppered anyway so it doesn't really matter who's stepping into his shoes. 

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba

There are trees that need to be felled well before the chainsaw is pointed at Mendy. 

His did very well in Wilf’s absence last season.  Not a smart move for us at this juncture.   We need a serious deforestation initiative over the next month even if this means cutting our losses.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

There are trees that need to be felled well before the chainsaw is pointed at Mendy. 

His did very well in Wilf’s absence last season.  Not a smart move for us at this juncture.   We need a serious deforestation initiative over the next month even if this means cutting our losses.

Thrashing Notts Forest should do the trick :D

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Couldn't agree more my old fruit.  Of all the pony and trap we need to clear out Mendy hardly seems a priority.  He's solid enough if unspectacular.  

Sadly I suspect nobody wants the other rubbish. 

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

He still managed 39, 36, and 31 games in all comps in the last 3 seasons.

I think he can manage to play 38 PL games, playing 3 games a week is the biggest issue, with no European football, he will be fine. 

It is not necessarily about the amount of games but Ndidi's performance.   How many games did Ndidi play  while being half fit- he usually put in sub standard performances as the result. 

I would keep Mendy and play him in cup games/odd double header midweek games to preserve Ndidi fitness.   I suspect Brunt would be too lightweight and Hamza is not tactically smart.  

Edited by The Blur

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

He's a good player who we should probably fight to keep. He's always done very well when called upon. 

However you can't begrudge him wanting away. Not being given a PL squad number last summer must've hurt. 

A solid professional who sadly hasn't been treated particularly well in his time here and should be allowed to go. 

At times we look better with him that with Wilf playing. I would be keeping him here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Thing is though no one wants the players we need to get rid of. So maybe we'll need to entertain interest in players we'd prefer to keep, to free up wages or whatever. This isn't football manager.

• Like 3

Move him on, he wanted out last summer already, no point in keeping him on for another year where we don't even have Europe to necessitate any major rotation within the squad. 

Brunt can take over as DM cover 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Why are people forgetting about Dewsbury Hall.

He does the job as well as Mendy. Let Mendy go.

He’s not a CDM, KDH is a progressive box to box midfielder, not a deep lying defensive midfielder. He’s offer far more as a 8, he’s not a 6. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He needs to go for his own sake, we've treated him pretty shabbily in his time here.

Tens of thousands of pounds a week for running around 5 days a week in training? Please, somebody treat me that shabbily.

• Like 2

Sell. Seems a nice enough bloke and happy enough to be a squad player but he's just not really good enough. Not a great age and not on terrible money either.

If we can shift any backups to Turkey we should be all over it. That's a key out of this.

Bit of a meh player, usually starts the season with 2/3 good games and then really fades off. Never really let us down but if it means getting 50k off the wage bill and letting a youngster/cheaper option take his place then I can see the logic.

Sell

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 4