Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Nampalys Mendy

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

It is not necessarily about the amount of games but Ndidi's performance.   How many games did Ndidi play  while being half fit- he usually put in sub standard performances as the result. 

The reason he is half fit is the schedule; for example from the 4/11/21 - 28/12/21, he played 10 games, which is on average a game every 3.9 days, he just got no recovery time. 

Take out the European games it is only 8 games and that average jump is up 4.8, the extra rest makes a massive difference. 

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

I would keep Mendy and play him in cup games/odd double header midweek games to preserve Ndidi fitness.   I suspect Brunt would be too lightweight and Hamza is not tactically smart.  

With the new FFP rules in a season with no European football, we can't keep squad players like Mendy, I expect both him and Hamza to be moved on. 

We aren't going to improve by holding on to them, we have kids who need to be developed and can do a job for the odd game Brunt and Braybrooke.  

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

Wilf can't play every game, indeed his injury record under BR prevents it. 

Hamza is deemed not good enough

Soumare is an unknown quantity at the moment

Why should we left Mendy go for a nominal fee, when we'd simply have to spend some of our (small?) funds on replacing him, in a position that isn't a priority this summer

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We need to shift wages and create space in the squad, I suppose if no-one is coming in for Hamza then makes sense to let Mendy go. We might be willing to persist with Soumare due to his potential to come good, or again, a similar situation to Hamza where no one that's interested can afford him. 

I'd much rather see Soumare get the game time next season instead of Mendy, anyway. 

Imo mendy has always done a good job for us and been poorly poorly treated by Rodgers.   There are some players like mendy and nacho that Rodgers finds it easy to ignore.   I would let him go but only if we have a new dmf to come in.

Re soumare.... he is another player abandoned by Rodgers  (... preat, ayoze, nacho, hamsa, mendy even daka).  All these player ms could be improved.  

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Wilf can't play every game, indeed his injury record under BR prevents it. 

Hamza is deemed not good enough

Soumare is an unknown quantity at the moment

Why should we left Mendy go for a nominal fee, when we'd simply have to spend some of our (small?) funds on replacing him, in a position that isn't a priority this summer

Not when we play 111 games across two seasons,

Strip away European football and he is more then capable of playing 38 league games.  

I can't understand why one of the promoted teams aren't all over him. He could really do a job for one of them and we would actually get a fee. Mendy, Choudhary, Ward, Praet and Perez played in the correct position are ideal players for a newly promoted side or someone aiming for being easily safe but below mid table. The only reason they aren't quite good enough for us anymore is we want to be pushing for Europe. Verstergaard and Bertrand we are going to be stuck with but the rest could do a job elsewhere and are unlucky not to play.

With the Turkish clubs you just know they are going to expect us to bend over..

Edited by desertfox2
Mendy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

The reason he is half fit is the schedule; for example from the 4/11/21 - 28/12/21, he played 10 games, which is on average a game every 3.9 days, he just got no recovery time. 

Take out the European games it is only 8 games and that average jump is up 4.8, the extra rest makes a massive difference. 

With the new FFP rules in a season with no European football, we can't keep squad players like Mendy, I expect both him and Hamza to be moved on. 

We aren't going to improve by holding on to them, we have kids who need to be developed and can do a job for the odd game Brunt and Braybrooke.  

Your argument is too rationale (no wonder @Stadt has a hard on for your stat filled post)  for my liking :p

That is fair enough, I'll put my hand up and admit I have been out of touch with football especially with FFP rules since having a kid last year so not fully versed in that aspect.

I think the question I was asking is whether Ndidi has it in him to stay fit for a European free season after series of injuries or whether if his body is now past by its best.   Not sure if Brunt has played as a DM but if he does and show significant potential (not sure if he has so far tbh) then I would be all for it.  

Edited by The Blur
  • Haha 1

Wilf and Papy couldn’t be any more different as midfielders— we can’t make decisions on Mendy based on Wilf’s availability.

Time to let Mendy go and get some consistent playing time if it’s out there for him. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

Your argument is too rationale (no wonder @Stadt has a hard on for your stat filled post)  for my liking :p

That is fair enough, I'll put my hand up and admit I have been out of touch with football especially with FFP rules since having a kid last year so not fully versed in that aspect.

I think the question I was asking is whether Ndidi has it in him to stay fit for a European free season after series of injuries or whether if his body is now past by its best.   Not sure if Brunt has played as a DM but if he does and show significant potential (not sure if he has so far tbh) then I would be all for it.  

Congrats on the little one!

My argument is he since join us in his fully seasons managed across all comps 17/18 (38 G), 18/19 (40 G), 19/20 (39 G), 20/21 (36 G), 21/22 (31 G) 

So for the last 5 season he's managed 30 game plus, so its reasonable to think he can manage somewhere between 30-38 games.

The issue over the last two season we have played 111 games which has caused not just him but lot of problems for our key players 

This year with no European football the schedule is much kinder, plus he has a break as Nigeria aren't at the winter WC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_77 said:

Wilf and Papy couldn’t be any more different as midfielders— we can’t make decisions on Mendy based on Wilf’s availability.

Time to let Mendy go and get some consistent playing time if it’s out there for him. 

Positionally he plays the same role - The deep lying cover for the back four. Yes, he plays the role differently, less tackling and more a deep lying pivot but he’s the only other player with proven premier league quality we have that can play the deep position comfortably. That’s backed up by the fact he has been BR’s choice of cover (if available) whenever Ndidi is out or asked to play at CB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Positionally he plays the same role - The deep lying cover for the back four. Yes, he plays the role differently, less tackling and more a deep lying pivot but he’s the only other player with proven premier league quality we have that can play the deep position comfortably. That’s backed up by the fact he has been BR’s choice of cover (if available) whenever Ndidi is out or asked to play at CB. 

Tbf, I like Mendy but we have to change the profile of our squad— we need physicality and players who aren’t afraid of progressive football. Mendy likes to sit back as a safety valve and play the most conservative pass available. 

I don’t know if Mendy becoming our default backup (or least worst option) in that role is enough of a reason to keep him. He’ll also want to play regularly ahead of the World Cup and, let’s face it, that’s not going to happen next season. 

A9010B23-31BA-40C5-B6A0-0D86AC501C3D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why was it shabby? He was not first choice is all, and a planned move feel through   :dunno: 

Do agree for his own reasons he would be best served by a move though

Tons of times we could have rested Wilf (when we should have rested Wilf) and played Mendy but chose not to....for me we paid the price when we insisted on constantly playing Wilf so much that he got injured (not just last season but the season before that) we should never have waited for Wilf to get injured before bringing in Mendy....I remember a time when people believed Choudhury was better (do me a favour). Basically until he (Brendan) was forced into doing it Mendy was never given a fair crack of the whip.

Edited by tickler28
  • Like 2

I wish people would stop looking at player stats , they don’t always show the true picture. Mendy did a great job for us when ndidi was injured just as he did the year before , RODGERS I just don’t get him most of the time players like mendy , Pratt , nacho do a great job for him then he just freezes them out , I just don’t get him . 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Bptiger said:

I wish people would stop looking at player stats , they don’t always show the true picture. Mendy did a great job for us when ndidi was injured just as he did the year before , RODGERS I just don’t get him most of the time players like mendy , Pratt , nacho do a great job for him then he just freezes them out , I just don’t get him . 

He didn’t do a great job, he played a few decent games. The stats do a very good job in showing that we need a midfielder to do more than make the most conservative pass possible nearly every time he touches the ball. 

Edited by The_77

The stats back up largely what I see when I see Mendy. Which is a very limited player. He gets overrated on here because the expectations of him are low to begin with. Ndidi to Mendy is a gargantuan drop off.

• Like 1

They are both back up for Ndidi. But I think Rodgers trusts Mendy more than Soumare. And to be honest so do I. But we've given Soumare a 5 year deal, he's the younger player with more potential. We need to stick with Soumare and try and coach him into the player we want him to be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Don't mind selling him for a fee but I don't mind keeping him either for another season, I think him and Dewsbury-Hall complement each other quite well.

I won't gnash my teeth if he stays, but in all honesty, he is 30. He has one more top level 3-year contract, and we aren't giving it to him next year. It's in his best interest to move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haywood_6 said:

They are both back up for Ndidi. But I think Rodgers trusts Mendy more than Soumare. And to be honest so do I. But we've given Soumare a 5 year deal, he's the younger player with more potential. We need to stick with Soumare and try and coach him into the player we want him to be.  

It beggars belief why we are looking at Soumare to replace Mendy/Ndidi anyway. Based on his first season here, he is just not someone who can play that role and he doesn’t have any of the attributes to develop into doing it either. 

It could be the case that we are looking at playing with two 8’s and a 10, with Soumare being one of the 8’s I suppose. But I can only imagine this working when we go out to steam roll a “lesser” side. I still don’t see where he fits in to be honest. I’ll be looking at the preseason games very closely and hoping that he’s a lot sharper than last season. 

As for Mendy, can understanding him wanting a big contract and a bit more playing time but I actually rate him as cover. He’s a known quantity and relatively dependable. If no one comes in for Hamza though, then it’ll make sense to cut Mendy loose if there is interest in him. As an aside, I’ve always thought that Hamza is the kind of player who would improve a fair bit with more game time as he’s got some of the raw attributes to be fairly decent. He may have a limited ceiling but he’s never gotten to play a whole season since joining the first team, that’s got to hamper your development somewhat as a young player. Not everyone blooms at the same age, KDH being the case in point. 

• Like 1