Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

A cashless, ticketless society...

If you go to some European countries like Sweden or the Netherlands they are essentially cashless societies already, cash points have been done away with and most places actively refuse to take cash nowadays.

It’s inevitable really. I guess the biggest argument from the governments point of view is it makes it harder to get away with tax dodging and undeclared cash in hand work. Though I’m not sure if that outweighs the challenges it causes the elderly and vulnerable.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I don’t like it myself. I don’t know why and I do pretty much entirely pay by card. 

It's a good point. I pay a lot of things by card now, but I would like to retain the option to pay by cash. I don't really know why it has to be 100% compliance (and I've heard the argument it's more efficient, cuts costs etc., which I doubt)

I went to a festival last month. At the entrance i noticed there was a load of cash machines. Didn't really think anything of it. Got inside, went to the bar, their entire card payment system went down. Did they take cash? Ofcourse not! Stood at the bar for about half an hour whilst they sorted it. The entire festival was cashless so why the cash machines at the entrance (that charged about a fiver per transaction)? I rarely use cash anymore but until the systems are better it should always be an option.

Nah, I love the advancement of tech, but at the end of the day people should be free to pay for things in cash if they so wish.

Of course, if handling cash incurs an increased cost to the business, that business should be likewise free to pass on that cost to the consumers who use that payment method. But only if it does incur that increased cost, and I don't see how it will for the moment, at least.

• Like 1

It's going to happen.  Goverments and big business can give lots of reasons why cash is problematic.  The fact that it inconveniences a few people won't make a difference.

50 years from now cash will be history. 

• Like 1

Not a fan. In general I hate how reliant society is becoming on phones these days. Like many I am sure we have several systems at work which can't be accessed without phone authorisation, and of course we have to provide our own phones... It's quite frustrating when you are trying to access your teaching material  (having already had to login to the computer) and the system is asking you to use google authenticate to verify your identity first...yet you are in a lecture room with no phone reception and very unreliable wifi. 

• Like 1

Personally all for it for many reasons such as convenience, improved security, and less opportunity for fraud/tax recovery but appreciate that it shouldn't alienate certain groups in society such as the elderly or disabled. What the solution is in terms of going paperless but making it accessible to all is anyone's guess. 

23 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I went to a festival last month. At the entrance i noticed there was a load of cash machines. Didn't really think anything of it. Got inside, went to the bar, their entire card payment system went down. Did they take cash? Ofcourse not! Stood at the bar for about half an hour whilst they sorted it. The entire festival was cashless so why the cash machines at the entrance (that charged about a fiver per transaction)? I rarely use cash anymore but until the systems are better it should always be an option.

This. Putting all the eggs into cashless and system goes wrong then what? On a slight tangent the lack of customer service when you want to speak to a real person is all done to keep you away from easy contact. I worked in customer services and the firm has a brilliant reputation because customers get quickly through to a member of staff. Amazing how many people commented on how refreshing to get through without the press this and that and still wait for ages. We aimed to answer at least 80% of calls within 20 seconds.

44 minutes ago, Kopic said:

You will always need cash machines and lots of water at festivals because of drugs. If people can’t access cash how will they buy drugs. Dealers aren’t connected to payment systems and MTD to square their taxes just yet 

• Like 1

I hardly ever use cash now. Mainly because so many places used covid as an excuse to stop it. And my attitude has become that of, well if I ain't carrying it then I may has well have my cards on my mobile and it all comes out the same place so it's pointless going to a cash machine.

Reckon the only time I carry my card is for fuel at Costco and I'm sure eventually they will allow NFC.

That said tho, as I've said before, I love a proper match ticket especially for away games, cup finals etc. Not sure framing my mobile has the same affect lol

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

It's going to happen.  Goverments and big business can give lots of reasons why cash is problematic.  The fact that it inconveniences a few people won't make a difference.

50 years from now cash will be history. 

50 years from now or most likely considerably  less I won’t have to worry 😂

I haven't got debit cards linked to my phones but keep contemplating doing so. I have a wallet filled with about 5 years worth of receipts, and cards for places that don't even exist anymore. My wallet is merely ballast for a walk down the shop to get some milk!

How do people rate having your card on your phone in terms of reliability & safety?

Edited by adejo92

18 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I haven't got debit cards linked to my phones but keep contemplating doing so. I have a wallet filled with about 5 years worth of receipts, and cards for places that don't even exist anymore. My wallet is merely ballast for a walk down the shop to get some milk!

How do people rate having your card on your phone in terms of reliability & safety?

I rate highly, you get an instant receipt when money is taken from your accounts, coupled with the banking app you can freeze your account at the slide of a toggle if you believe someone has access to your account that shouldn’t.

With regards to physical security no different to losing, pick pocketing a wallet possibly safer as phone is usually in a front pocket guarded by 00 & 7 where as wallets tend to be in a back or breast pocket that can be dipped into by a professional without notice.

You can also add all your reward cards to it so no need to carry them all around either & no forgetting them when needed they are always with you.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I’ve recently started using my phone and it’s very handy. I’ve left my wallet in my car a few times and it’s saved having to go back and get it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I only use it on night outs, saves losing my wallet so I can keep my card at home 

• Like 1