Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Dennis Praet

Just now, coolhandfox said:

He was great first half.

Even if you are anti-Praet, you can't fault him, for his first half display.

I would've looked good first half of that game. But I admit whilst not a full on Praet hater I'm not his biggest fan. 

• Haha 1

He was okay first half vs a very poor side and very poor in the second. 

“Okay” should be the bare minimum for a player with his ability and pedigree but rarely do we ever see it during a full performance of his. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

He was okay first half vs a very poor side and very poor in the second. 

“Okay” should be the bare minimum for a player with his ability and pedigree but rarely do we ever see it during a full performance of his. 

He has set his bar so low that ok is seen as a massive success. He's proven he can be ok, so some consistency and progression needed from here.

• Like 2

I like to think of Praet as: "the ghost" because I often watch a game and don't see him or forget he was on the pitch. 

He's occasionally slightly better than ok, but most of the time fairly invisible. The problem is that after losing Ndidi to injury, Casadei to recall and Sensi to FFP he's the only proper midfielder we have as back up.

He's just got to do a job until Wilf comes back. I really hope he does well, but I'm more inclined to think that his performances will only range from 'instantly forgettable' to a peak of 'just about adequate' most of the time 

• Like 1

He was decent first half against Wednesday, his movement and positioning really helped us keep the pressure on, but second half he proper fell off a cliff. Bit weird really.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

He was decent first half against Wednesday, his movement and positioning really helped us keep the pressure on, but second half he proper fell off a cliff. Bit weird really.

He looked very tired 2nd half but thought he was good 1st half, took up good positions, didn't waste a ball

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, K789 said:

He looked very tired 2nd half but thought he was good 1st half, took up good positions, didn't waste a ball

Yes agree. He played well forward in the first half and was a good outlet but never really broke the line or had a shot when there was a sniff of an opportunity. 

He had a great chance to score very early in the second half but elected to try and pass to Vardy instead and over hit it. After that he melted, lost a few one on one challenges and drifted out of the game. I felt Enzo should have subbed him on 60 not 78 minutes as we lost hold of the midfield. 

He’s neat and tidy enough but for me is some way below Wilf even at this level. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're all entitled to your opinions, but like with Vestergaard, if Dennis is good enough for Enzo, then he's good enough for me. If you regard him as invisible after the first half on Tuesday (and please remember,  EVERYONE was poorer in the 2nd half), then you're simply watching with a closed mind.

Spot-on.  But if the history of this place has taught us anything, it's that once a player becomes the FT scapegoat there's almost no chance that ever changes.  Vesty is probably the only miraculous exception, and how many great performances did it take with him?

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're all entitled to your opinions, but like with Vestergaard, if Dennis is good enough for Enzo, then he's good enough for me. If you regard him as invisible after the first half on Tuesday (and please remember,  EVERYONE was poorer in the 2nd half), then you're simply watching with a closed mind.

Praet is playing because of a lack of options in his position. Vestergaard is playing because he is having a great season. So a different situation for them both. Praet is doing ok, but is clearly the weakest player in the current first team. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Viva said:

Praet is playing because of a lack of options in his position. Vestergaard is playing because he is having a great season. So a different situation for them both. Praet is doing ok, but is clearly the weakest player in the current first team. 

That's your opinion, not fact.

I just tire, especially in such a great season, of people always being determined to find fault. It is so much easier being negative about something - anything - than seeking the upside.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

That's your opinion, not fact.

I just tire, especially in such a great season, of people always being determined to find fault. It is so much easier being negative about something - anything - than seeking the upside.

Most things on a forum are opinion. It's a correct opinion though. 

I thought he had a decent first half, then turned sloppy in the second. He certainly wasn't outstanding though like some are saying. He's more than capable of playing in this team until the end of season and doing a fair job. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

He's playing for the simple reason that we lack options. 

We have two players who can currently fill that role of right sided #8 and those are Yunus and McAteer. It's clear we don't want to be giving Yunus minutes because we don't want to trigger his clause so he isn't actually an option and McAteer has been a bit unreliable recently leaving Dennis as the only realistic option for starter. 

The only possible other option would be to have Ricardo as #8 and put Hamza at RB but as we've seen many times in recent games, the second Hamza steps on the pitch we lose any sort of ability to progress in midfield because he's either unwilling or unable to be on the half turn or pick passes that go anywhere but back. 

Praet is fulfilling a vital role at the moment, that of FT scapegoat. There always has to be at least one. It's a testament to how good we are, that a reasonably competent player is currently coming under so much scrutiny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

well, to be honest if he was ‘good enough’ then we wouldn’t have been after Sensi so hard and wouldn’t be playing Ndidi ( a converted DM!) ahead of him.

what he is, is ‘adequate back up’ until we can get someone better. But make no mistake, if we had signed Sensi, or if Ndidi was fit they’re both be  ahead of him in the pecking order..

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

well, to be honest if he was ‘good enough’ then we wouldn’t have been after Sensi so hard and wouldn’t be playing Ndidi ( a converted DM!) ahead of him.

what he is, is ‘adequate back up’ until we can get someone better. But make no mistake, if we had signed Sensi, or if Ndidi was fit they’re both be  ahead of him in the pecking order..

He's being picked, and it ain't out of pity.

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

no, it’s out of necessity. We have very limited options.

If the options are that limited, Sensi would have been pursued whether he was going to be picked ahead of Praet or not.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If the options are that limited, Sensi would have been pursued whether he was going to be picked ahead of Praet or not.

what?

the reason Sensi wasn’t signed was because we didn’t want to break FFP. Rules, not because we didn’t want him..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

what?

the reason Sensi wasn’t signed was because we didn’t want to break FFP. Rules, not because we didn’t want him..

The point is not that we ****ed up the transfer, the point is that we would have pursued Sensi whether he would be picked ahead of Praet or not, if your argument about how limited the options are is correct.  You need players you can rotate, and even if Enzo had a preference to start Praet,with all his injury history you obviously need a backup.  Pursuing Sensi is not itself indicative of Enzo preferring him to Praet.  Maybe he would have, maybe not - we’ll never know.