Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whoareyaaa

Fans in attendance

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

That’s fair, but if you’ve spent thousands travelling somewhere and you’ve been promised one thing that then doesn’t materialise…..

Presumably for the last 15-odd years Qatar have been promising alcohol concessions to look like they’re welcoming the world and then they pull out two days before it starts. Did they just basically lie about it for years?

Yeah I agree, they shouldn't have said it was happening then change it so close to the start of the tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tactic to encourage people to attend, because people won't back out now they've paid for everything.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

See I love a few drinks on matchday, but if you're put off attending a world cup purely because you cannot drink (and not because of other issues) then I'd say you've got a problem. 

I agree with you, and the other posts about broken promises I don’t agree with. You don’t attend high level football, organised by uefa and fifa, expecting to be treated fairly and have promises adhered to.

But large scale alcohol consumption and watching football is a big part of the culture. Plus fifa have got into bed commercially with alcohol brands. I hope there are serious consequences here but I imagine they get around it by selling the brands’ 0% products at grounds, and still allowing heavy promotional activity 

Bizarre there has been no announcements of this ban here. I am hoping this is another example of fake news that  has (imho) plagued this world cup but if it's true then the Qatari Government have only got themselves to blame for the ridicule they will receive. Also bizarre because alcohol was available around the stadium for the 2019 World Athletes Championships, the World Club Championships And  the Asia Cup. Who knows but I am sure we will find out the truth one way or another shortly.

7 minutes ago, hackenbacker said:

Bizarre there has been no announcements of this ban here. I am hoping this is another example of fake news that  has (imho) plagued this world cup but if it's true then the Qatari Government have only got themselves to blame for the ridicule they will receive. Also bizarre because alcohol was available around the stadium for the 2019 World Athletes Championships, the World Club Championships And  the Asia Cup. Who knows but I am sure we will find out the truth one way or another shortly.

FIFA announced it earlier.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/fifa-statement-sale-of-alcoholic-beverages

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

That’s fair, but if you’ve spent thousands travelling somewhere and you’ve been promised one thing that then doesn’t materialise…..

Presumably for the last 15-odd years Qatar have been promising alcohol concessions to look like they’re welcoming the world and then they pull out two days before it starts. Did they just basically lie about it for years?

That's absolutely what's happened. Pulled it at the point it's too late to do anything about it.

They've had 12/13 years whatever it has been since they were awarded the World Cup and 2 days prior they now say 'no beer' at the stadiums. It will be interesting to see what other things go wrong if this is how they plan and approach things.

12 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Is beer still at the fan zones? Why have they just suddenly banned it anyone know the reasons? Clearly they were always going to do this but decided until it was too late for any fan to change their mind on going. Absolute shower of shite.

yes still at fan zones and over priced (in terms of even higher priced that the Fan Zone which are already highly priced) hotels.  My 24 Coronas i bought last week are now worth gold! 

So we’ve had the TV crew stopped from filming, the late ban on alcohol sales (unless you’re in hospitality then it’s perfectly fine) 

I’m going for the ban of female supporters showing their midriff being next in the Qatar 2022 sweepstake. :unsure:

I don't really understand why anyone that doesn't live out there would bother travelling to this. As an experience you'll probably have more fun at home watching on the TV. 

Its not just no alcohol, there are plenty of fans who don't drink at games, but the whole thing as shit feel to it. 

I wonder if it will change once the games start, I sort of expect empty stadiums but I know that won't be the case at ticket sales have been strong. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't really understand why anyone that doesn't live out there would bother travelling to this. As an experience you'll probably have more fun at home watching on the TV. 

Its not just no alcohol, there are plenty of fans who don't drink at games, but the whole thing as shit feel to it. 

I wonder if it will change once the games start, I sort of expect empty stadiums but I know that won't be the case at ticket sales have been strong. 

Winter sunshine though which is always good. Not sure about actual ticket sales..? Perceived sales have been strong because of the biggest corporate giveaway my small world has ever seen. I was offered multiple tickets, multiple times for 'any game you want other than semis and final, but we can reassess nearer the time' and i'm a nobody. Regardless you will see full stadiums i'm sure, will be a terrible look for tv execs if there are empty seats, so we'll never know.

13 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Budweiser in a proper hard corner here. Probably furious with FIFA and the organising committee, but also won't want to sever ties to ensure they can be the official beer for the 2026 WC in USA, Canada and Mexico. That will be a HUGE market for them and they won't want to burn any bridges with the next WC in mind.

I wonder if a quiet deal where they get a rebate on this and/or the 2026 sponsorship will keep them happy, just like FIFA basically gave FOX the TV rights to keep them quiet after the corruption row blew up.

Very good point

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Budweiser in a proper hard corner here. Probably furious with FIFA and the organising committee, but also won't want to sever ties to ensure they can be the official beer for the 2026 WC in USA, Canada and Mexico. That will be a HUGE market for them and they won't want to burn any bridges with the next WC in mind.

I wonder if a quiet deal where they get a rebate on this and/or the 2026 sponsorship will keep them happy, just like FIFA basically gave FOX the TV rights to keep them quiet after the corruption row blew up.

Agreed. I don't think it'll do them any harm whatsoever. 

TBH, they look like the good guys in the mind of the public here being screwed over by FIFA and Qatar.

And also, given what's happened, the toxicity and widespread coverage of the controversy around this disgrace of a tournament I bet they're quietly glad to be taking a bit of a back seat in the knowledge they're guaranteed the next tournament.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

People who like drinking Budweiser.

Food and drink snobbery really is the pits, isn't it? It's almost like people's likes and tastebuds are different to others. Such a bizarre and frankly lazy trope "LOL IT TASTES SHIT LOL WHO DRINKS IT LOL"

But I thought only people who didn't possess taste buds liked Budweiser?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Livid said:

So we’ve had the TV crew stopped from filming, the late ban on alcohol sales (unless you’re in hospitality then it’s perfectly fine) 

I’m going for the ban of female supporters showing their midriff being next in the Qatar 2022 sweepstake. :unsure:

We've got the 'ex Pat' supporters as well popping up with their knock-off replicas and bastardised versions of 'its coming home' or 'Sweet Caroline'

• Haha 1