Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whoareyaaa

Fans in attendance

38 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I don't think there are any countries that have hosted it with more questionable politics are there? 

Russia ? Virtually identical issues. I think they were at war with Ukraine (the first time round) just before it. LGBTQ issues, workers conditions and deaths also should’ve caused more concern but didn’t. 

Separately, the Beijing olympics earlier this year with issues of Genocide didn’t get nearly as much criticism.

Sporting governing bodies couldn’t give a shit if the money is right. It’s always been an issue but really has received so much more concern this time round. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Russia ? Virtually identical issues. I think they were at war with Ukraine (the first time round) just before it. LGBTQ issues, workers conditions and deaths also should’ve caused more concern but didn’t. 

Separately, the Beijing olympics earlier this year with issues of Genocide didn’t get nearly as much criticism.

Sporting governing bodies couldn’t give a shit if the money is right. It’s always been an issue but really has received so much more concern this time round. 

I’d have thought the Olympics in Germany 1936 stands as one of the most controversial sports events of all time. 

Qatar is wrong on so many levels. 

Whilst the organisers can pedal that they are a welcoming country, reports suggest otherwise.

So far we’ve got allegations / controversies on the following:

* bribery to win the bid originally. 

* Modern slavery issues with underpaid migrants

* large unsubstantiated worker deaths that haven’t been investigated.

* The rescheduling for the tournament to winter due to the climate

* The inferior infrastructure and accessibility to welcome the millions of potentially people that would want to attend

* Qatar trying to bribe opposition teams to “lose” games. Surely not! 

* LGBTQ rights

* Female rights

* The entire situation with alcohol

Will we see any of this? 

image.thumb.jpeg.18a91a89ca2546ce90e5c4c6c5bc2840.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f54375e6913f9649e14ad789dec929be.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f022b85f6e1766730b0bd283c2c01dd.jpeg

image.jpeg.abb79d9182a3a7c7127d28758d1f337c.jpeg

image.jpeg.2337831eb81bbea0760eada2350e2f3c.jpeg

Everything has been a disgrace about this World Cup from the moment the first bribe went in. I sincerely hope the fans can get together in the stadiums and around the fan parks to form some form of peaceful protest to highlight the shame of this World Cup and the regime and fifa. Don’t allow them to use the event to sportwash by highlighting these issues wherever the cameras are. Banners where the cameras will see them highlighting the 6500+ migrant deaths or turning their backs on the pitch or something like all supporters holding hands and raising them in support of the LGBTQ community. 

If they want to use this World Cup to try to promote themselves as a modern emerging country than we should try and force them to cure their “damage in the mind”. 

There probably haven't been any world cups that aren't mired in corruption and/or death and/or general horribleness and evil, certainly from 1978 onwards but probably before that too - but 2018 and 2022 do take the proverbial biscuit.

(Probably take the literal biscuit too, if it isn't made by the official biscuit supply partner and sold by the official biscuit retail partner.)

3 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Is this whole thread real? Even the bit about he knows what it’s like to be discriminated as he had red hair and taking the World Cup to Iran (not the women’s one presumably).

He’s losing his marbles.

It does sound like it, but I fear it's just part of the plan to drown any and all criticism in a flood of nonsensical whataboutery and counter-accusations. Straight out of the latest edition of the Modern Autocrat Handbook, available from all unethical booksellers, with editions in Russian, Hungarian, Hindi, Arabic, Turkish and (US) English, among other languages. Italian and (UK) English versions in preparation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

It does sound like it, but I fear it's just part of the plan to drown any and all criticism in a flood of nonsensical whataboutery and counter-accusations. Straight out of the latest edition of the Modern Autocrat Handbook, available from all unethical booksellers, with editions in Russian, Hungarian, Hindi, Arabic, Turkish and (US) English, among other languages. Italian and (UK) English versions in preparation.

Don't forget Portuguese for use in Brazil.

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Is this whole thread real? Even the bit about he knows what it’s like to be discriminated as he had red hair and taking the World Cup to Iran (not the women’s one presumably).

He’s losing his marbles.

He's not. Just playing to a gallery to ensure FIFA look great to the Qatari's whilst everyone else is on their case.

He'll do the same at any World Cup.

• Like 1

There’s been many international events held by nations that shouldn’t. Even now our own governments advice for members of the LGBTQ+ community to “tone it down a bit”, is utterly staggering. That’s a completely homophobic comment, so we’ve also let ourselves down during this build up too. 

The one advantage is if the players actively show support, which helps highlight the issues promoting change, then it can be a good thing.  But the very moral fabric of the nation is controversial, any nation that has policies that are obviously discriminatory should not receive support and backing, especially when they are written into law to create such harm to members of those communities.

11 hours ago, Sly said:

I’d have thought the Olympics in Germany 1936 stands as one of the most controversial sports events of all time. 

Qatar is wrong on so many levels. 

Whilst the organisers can pedal that they are a welcoming country, reports suggest otherwise.

So far we’ve got allegations / controversies on the following:

* bribery to win the bid originally. 

* Modern slavery issues with underpaid migrants

* large unsubstantiated worker deaths that haven’t been investigated.

* The rescheduling for the tournament to winter due to the climate

* The inferior infrastructure and accessibility to welcome the millions of potentially people that would want to attend

* Qatar trying to bribe opposition teams to “lose” games. Surely not! 

* LGBTQ rights

* Female rights

* The entire situation with alcohol

Will we see any of this? 

image.thumb.jpeg.18a91a89ca2546ce90e5c4c6c5bc2840.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f54375e6913f9649e14ad789dec929be.jpeg

image.jpeg.4f022b85f6e1766730b0bd283c2c01dd.jpeg

image.jpeg.abb79d9182a3a7c7127d28758d1f337c.jpeg

image.jpeg.2337831eb81bbea0760eada2350e2f3c.jpeg

I think it will be a different World Cup. However, let’s not pretend we haven’t been here before. People in the main are passive to issues once a tournament starts. Like I said, Russia had many of the issues you’ve stated. Guarantee you some who are so against this tournament were very much praising of it by the end (which from a purely functional perspective was correct). Nothings changed. 

World sport tournaments are corrupt to the core. This country benefits from £10bn investment from the Qataris - the question is, where in the world can you hold a world tournament where policy is not controversial for another. 

I hope the tournament is a success. I hope things develop (as they have in neighbouring Uae) and hope the tournaments does build bridges. Personally, I’m surprised it was Qatar who got the first Middle Eastern WC given the alternative options. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

The thread is astonishing. The ramblings of an unhinged man without fear of being deposed. 

Real talk: FIFA as an organisation is beyond consequence. They’re seemingly outside the jurisdictions of governments. Where’s the accountability? It’s out of control and apparently there’s nothing anybody can do about it.

Bar the doors, set fire to it, and let everyone inside burn.

• Like 1