Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Newcastle Away - League Cup Quarter Final Pre Match

4 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I'm not gutted to miss this tomorrow in all honesty! Think Newcastle completely have our number at the moment.

I'd like to see:

Iversen

Amartey Faes Soyuncu

Albrighton                                  Castagne

Ndidi Mendy

Tielemans

Iheanacho Daka

I trust KDH,Soumare,Praet all still out?

I think we have a fighters chance if we show up like we did second half against Fulham and Liverpool. I’d be more confident if two or more of our injured players Maddison KDH Soumare or Praet were miraculously found to be match fit. Their patterns of play have proven to be effective but are known. If we can get play forward at a tempo and nullify their main threats we have a decent chance especially if we have the grit between our teeth in pressing and defending. 

I think we should rest / wrap up in cotton wool a few for Forest. I'd go:

3-5-2

Iversen

Amartey-Brunt-Soyuncu

Albrighton-Ndidi-Tielemans-Mendy-Thomas

Perez-Iheanacho

Protect Castagne, Faes, Barnes, Vardy, Daka, for Saturday whilst still fielding a team to give us a chance. Win the midfield battle, get the ball out wide to hit Ian supported by Ayoze

11 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

3-5-2

Iversen

Amartey-Brunt-Soyuncu

Perez-Iheanacho

Protect Castagne, Faes, Barnes, Vardy, Daka, for Saturday whilst still fielding a team to give us a chance. Win the midfield battle, get the ball out wide to hit Ian supported by Ayoze

Wrap players up in a quarter final?!! 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

3-5-2

Iversen

Amartey-Brunt-Soyuncu

Perez-Iheanacho

Quarter final of a cup competition with Charlton, Southampton, Wolves and Forest all in it still. We should be looking to get into the semi finals not rest or wrap up for a league fixture.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Quarter final of a cup competition with Charlton, Southampton, Wolves and Forest all in it still. We should be looking to get into the semi finals not rest or wrap up for a league fixture.

100%.

But a clue lies in the posters handle- foxinNotts- guessing his mates/work colleagues are filth fans and he dont want the pelters if we lose there!

2 minutes ago, J. James said:

100%.

But a clue lies in the posters handle- foxinNotts- guessing his mates/work colleagues are filth fans and he dont want the pelters if we lose there!

If we lose he can just tell them that its their cup final or that it was a really hot January afternoon 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

Very nice of you Fish to recommend local pubs and grubs. I spent 4 years studying g in Newcastle during the king Kev years so have a bit of a soft spot for the Geordie nation. If I was still living in the UK if definately have made the trip.

ps is the dirty nellies pub still by the train station? Used to serve the best guiness but  too crowded with rugby folks in their lol

No, that pub's shut I'm afraid. I'm sure there's somewhere in town to get a good pint of Guiness. I guess, dunno never been a massive fan of the pint of the black stuff. 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

If we lose he can just tell them that its their cup final or that it was a really hot January afternoon 

Whoa that's harsh, as if the poor guy doesn't have enough living amongst the enemy without being advised to use the sainted Brendan's notepad of pathetic excuses! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrummieFOX said:

You know it's a quarter final?

46 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

46 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I think the team I suggested could still get us through to the semi final.

That said, I don't think we will win against Newcastle, at their place, whatever team we field.

Because we lost to Fulham, the game against Forest is so much more than 'a league fixture'.

Forest AWAY is a very tough game, which we must get a result out of.

Edited by FoxinNotts

Iversen

Castagne (LB)

Soyuncu

Faes

Amartey (RB)

Ndidi

Tielemans

Mendy

Barnes

Daka

Nacho

I've gambled with a new back 4 but I want solid and dependable. Thomas struggled last time out against Newcastle.

I wouldn't ask Amartey to venture forward due to his limitation on the ball but he can shuffle inside and make it a back 3 which will allow Castagne to be an attacking full back on the overlap. So effectively 433 whilst defending but 343 when attacking

Ndidi can sit and defend. Mendy can just be nice and simple and allow youri to dictate.

Then need to hit on counter and front three allows us to do that.

Going to be a tough game whatever side we put out 

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

Guest Fox99

The level Newcastle are at now, they'll be looking at winning trophies and won't want to be knocked out of both cups. At the same time, we'll obviously want to put right the 0-3 defeat in some way. Howe's been able to invest clearly, but he's also managed to work wonders with the existing players there. Prior to the WC, morale was a lot better but it feels like that's now reverted back somewhat. 

Edited by AlexFT

Even at full-strength we'd get pumped, genuinely is no point in us even turning up for this.

Whilst I'd ordinarily say the opposite, we should be sacking this off and concentrating on the league. Relegation could mean oblivion for us and as things stand we are going down. Sorry to say I'd rather stay up this season than lose slightly later in a cup we've already won twice in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Not expecting much at all. All Newcastle need is a fast start like on Boxing Day, only this time they've got home support and the added incentive that this competition is their only possibility of a trophy after being knocked out at the weekend. 

Expecting a similar defeat to that of Boxing Day, sadly. 

Howe is able to psyche his team up more than Rodgers can for our own. 

13 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Even at full-strength we'd get pumped, genuinely is no point in us even turning up for this.

Whilst I'd ordinarily say the opposite, we should be sacking this off and concentrating on the league. Relegation could mean oblivion for us and as things stand we are going down. Sorry to say I'd rather stay up this season than lose slightly later in a cup we've already won twice in my lifetime.

Well aren't you a treat!

Pack it up lads @ealingfoxhas saw us win the league cup twice so might as well forfeit the game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Brendan Rodgers - Pre-Match Press Conference vs Newcastle United

Maddison back?

“No, it’ll be the same squad as the weekend.”

Maddison timeline?

“There’s no timeline on it. It’s day to day. He’s working with the medical team. We want him back as soon as possible. We’ve got five starters out. I’ve got no timescale on it.”

Transfers?

“The club are working hard behind the scenes. Hopefully we can tell you. There’s definitely a lot of work going on.”

Biggest game of the season?

“It’s a fantastic game. We’ve got experience now in cup competitions. This here is a brilliant game for us. We played Newcastle a few weeks ago and didn’t show our true selves. We shot ourselves in the foot. The atmosphere will be great. That’s what you want. If you’re going to do well, you have to win tough games home and away. We’re looking forward to the challenge and we know we have the capacity to get a good result.”

Boxing Day game?

“There’s no doubt it came as a surprise to us. You can’t start like that. You can’t make those mistakes against a really good side. We have to stay strong in the first 20 minutes. We have to play with an attacking mentality. You can’t make mistakes and not expect to get punished.”

Why Newcastle doing so well at home?

“It’s a combination. Eddie has done great with the players. The investment and recruitment has been very good, which has given them a strong base to work from. The confidence and the support is there. How fanatical the supporters are and how they back their team. When you combine that with a good team, it makes them really strong. It feels like an occasion when you go to St James’ Park. They’re consistently playing well, so I’m sure it’s hard to get a ticket. They’d be disappointed from the weekend. But they will want to make a semi-final.”

How to deal with atmosphere?

“It’s the type of atmosphere you play for. You just have to stay calm. You are playing with emotion and you have to defend strong and maximum concentration. If you start well, it can lead to tension in the ground. It should be a great game.”

Form?

“Performance-wise, we didn’t deserve to lose against Fulham and Liverpool. But we were punished. Before the World Cup, we limited the mistakes. Concentration has to be high. Then we believe we can score goals. The performance level has been ok.”

Dewsbury-Hall?

“He’s due onto the pitch on Friday, so we’ll assess from there how that goes. We’ll take it from there.”

Soumare?

“He’ll be a bit longer. Four to six weeks from when it happened was the diagnosis.”

Praet?

“He’s been in quite a bit of pain in his ribs and hip. He’s been out on the pitch but been non-contact. It’s a delicate one for him. We’re seeing day by day how it eases off. He’s not ready for contact yet.”

McAteer and Brunt?

“It’s all about learning as a young player. They have to take everything in and be a sponge. You have to watch and observe if you don’t play. They have been training with us for a while. They came through the game really well.”

What would happen if don't get deals done?

“It would just be a challenge. In the last two windows, we’ve signed one outfield player. If you go through a third one, it makes it a challenge. They’ve said there will be some funds. If we can use that and get players back, it could be a good season for us. Until then, I have to work with the players we have.”

Trophy?

“It would be fantastic. That’s the aim. We have a view to getting to the final. We know it’s a tough game, but it will be a tough game for them as well. We have to deal with everything that is thrown at us. It will be great.”

Newcastle will take this way more seriously than we will, they would love a first trophy is goodness knows how long, and it might be a quarter final, but would stil right it off compared to the league personally

• Like 1