Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Newcastle Away - League Cup Quarter Final Pre Match

3 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Iversen

Brunt Faes Soyuncu Castagne

Ndidi Tielemans

Perez Iheanacho Albrighton

Daka

WHY - does a player who played the whole season in a premier league title winning season on the left wing get exclusively played on the right!

Because we had Mahrez then and Barnes now. 

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

They’ve also spent £235m in the last 12 months

Out of the players they have signed, only Isak is a financial outlier for a mid-table Premier League club, and he has barely played. There has not been much difference in spending between them and the likes of Villa and West Ham since the Saudi's arrived. Howe has done a wonderful job, they were relegation favourites when he took the job.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Is Barnes a premier league winning left winger then?

No but he’s better than Albrighton, albeit needs a break in the side. I wouldn’t be against him playing on the left to accommodate this! It’s just the reason he has not played on the left, is largely because of the emergence of Barnes, who has a much better output than Albrighton. And, Albrighton only played on the left in the first place, because of Mahrez having a much better output on the right. Having a premier league winners medal has nothing to do with this. I believe Inler and Benalouane got one as well.

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Brendan Rodgers - Pre-Match Press Conference vs Newcastle United

Maddison back?

“No, it’ll be the same squad as the weekend.”

Maddison timeline?

“There’s no timeline on it. It’s day to day. He’s working with the medical team. We want him back as soon as possible. We’ve got five starters out. I’ve got no timescale on it.”

Transfers?

“The club are working hard behind the scenes. Hopefully we can tell you. There’s definitely a lot of work going on.”

Biggest game of the season?

“It’s a fantastic game. We’ve got experience now in cup competitions. This here is a brilliant game for us. We played Newcastle a few weeks ago and didn’t show our true selves. We shot ourselves in the foot. The atmosphere will be great. That’s what you want. If you’re going to do well, you have to win tough games home and away. We’re looking forward to the challenge and we know we have the capacity to get a good result.”

Boxing Day game?

“There’s no doubt it came as a surprise to us. You can’t start like that. You can’t make those mistakes against a really good side. We have to stay strong in the first 20 minutes. We have to play with an attacking mentality. You can’t make mistakes and not expect to get punished.”

Why Newcastle doing so well at home?

“It’s a combination. Eddie has done great with the players. The investment and recruitment has been very good, which has given them a strong base to work from. The confidence and the support is there. How fanatical the supporters are and how they back their team. When you combine that with a good team, it makes them really strong. It feels like an occasion when you go to St James’ Park. They’re consistently playing well, so I’m sure it’s hard to get a ticket. They’d be disappointed from the weekend. But they will want to make a semi-final.”

How to deal with atmosphere?

It’s the type of atmosphere you play for. You just have to stay calm. You are playing with emotion and you have to defend strong and maximum concentration. If you start well, it can lead to tension in the ground. It should be a great game.”

Form?

“Performance-wise, we didn’t deserve to lose against Fulham and Liverpool. But we were punished. Before the World Cup, we limited the mistakes. Concentration has to be high. Then we believe we can score goals. The performance level has been ok.”

Dewsbury-Hall?

“He’s due onto the pitch on Friday, so we’ll assess from there how that goes. We’ll take it from there.”

Soumare?

“He’ll be a bit longer. Four to six weeks from when it happened was the diagnosis.”

Praet?

“He’s been in quite a bit of pain in his ribs and hip. He’s been out on the pitch but been non-contact. It’s a delicate one for him. We’re seeing day by day how it eases off. He’s not ready for contact yet.”

McAteer and Brunt?

“It’s all about learning as a young player. They have to take everything in and be a sponge. You have to watch and observe if you don’t play. They have been training with us for a while. They came through the game really well.”

What would happen if don't get deals done?

“It would just be a challenge. In the last two windows, we’ve signed one outfield player. If you go through a third one, it makes it a challenge. They’ve said there will be some funds. If we can use that and get players back, it could be a good season for us. Until then, I have to work with the players we have.”

Trophy?

“It would be fantastic. That’s the aim. We have a view to getting to the final. We know it’s a tough game, but it will be a tough game for them as well. We have to deal with everything that is thrown at us. It will be great.”

Subtle hints about the fans. The only occasion it feels like when you go the KP or even away from home for us is a funeral.

3 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Out of the players they have signed, only Isak is a financial outlier for a mid-table Premier League club, and he has barely played. There has not been much difference in spending between them and the likes of Villa and West Ham since the Saudi's arrived. Howe has done a wonderful job, they were relegation favourites when he took the job.

You also have to factor in how bad a manager Steve Bruce is. Absolutely shocking and part of the reason they were so far down the table for so long. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Bruno….is an exception but on the whole yes 

Let’s be honest it is a BIG ask to get something from this game. Newcastle at full strength and we are hobbling at best.

still if there’s any hope and inspiration is look at the lower league teams. You think they have any hope in hell and yet they turn up and roll over the big boys. COYF!!!

I would line up:

Iversen

Amartey   Faes  Soyuncu 

Castagne                           Thomas

Tielemans Mendy

Perez

Daka       Iheanacho

Think Iversen deserves the cups and Cags like Tielemans has to be involved whilst still here as quality is there even if we will lose them both soon. 

21 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I love it. I love big cup.matches in the latter rounds. Even in defeat. These are treasured games to be savoured and will be talked of between the clubs for years. They are taking it serious because it is. 

We still revere games at Wimbledon away SF. Villa X2 semis. Sunderland away semi. Chelsea FA Cup 5th round replay. Luton, QPR in the 70s. Watford and Shrewsbury in 82. Rennes, Eindhoven, Roma. I love it. 

Great post.

Wouldn't be crazy to think it could be a while until our next cup QF if we nosedive into the lower prem / championship.

• Like 1

Reached a point whereby if the club can't be arsed then why should we? No comms from the owners, the usual shit in the programme. We've sold 700 tickets for a league Cup quarter, hope they wake up and realise they're running the club into the ground.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, los dedos said:

They are seeing this as their biggest game in years . Yes I hope we win but I can't really get that up for it .:dunno:

They're basking in their hollow rise to the top and the possibility of a trophy this season and you have people here wanting us to **** this match off when we should be fighting for every opportunity to stick another trophy in the cabinet. It's sad to see.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We'll go 3 up and lose 4-3 in proper Leicester fashion. 

I’m sure I went to a game at St. James’s Park which went like that ….. could have dreamt it …… I was sitting with the home fans ….. must stop eating cheese in the evenings  ……

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

They're basking in their hollow rise to the top and the possibility of a trophy this season and you have people here wanting us to **** this match off when we should be fighting for every opportunity to stick another trophy in the cabinet. It's sad to see.

Its a nothing match for us. Weve been in numerous quarter finals in recent years and have won the trophy twice in living memory. This years about making sure we are still a Premier League club with a dogshit injury depleted squad. Not excited about this game in the slightest 😂

Edited by South Shire Fox