Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshie is God

No Buy vs Panic Buy

No Buy OR Panic Buy  

169 members have voted

1. 1. No Buy OR Panic Buy

• No Buy
    • Panic Buy

What is regarded as a panic buy though?

You would expect they had a list of targets at the start of the window (at the very least) 

I’d assume the club are working their way through the targets, and even if someone signs near the end of the deadline that’s not a name we have heard before it will be someone who was a target. As opposed the Transfers that are reactionary due to last minute serious injuries or unexpected player sales.

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

What is regarded as a panic buy though?

You would expect they had a list of targets at the start of the window (at the very least) 

I’d assume the club are working their way through the targets, and even if someone signs near the end of the deadline that’s not a name we have heard before it will be someone who was a target. As opposed the Transfers that are reactionary due to last minute serious injuries or unexpected player sales.

A panic buy is a reaction to unexpected events, like Fofana's injury or Drinkwater forcing a transfer on deadline day. 

These did not end well, Silva and Vestegaard.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

A panic buy is a reaction to unexpected events, like Fofana's injury or Drinkwater forcing a transfer on deadline day. 

These did not end well, Silva and Vestegaard.

Yeah I did allude to that at the end, so as we don’t have any unexpected players sales (yet) or recent serious injuries forcing out hand to make an unprepared transfer. It wouldn’t be a panic buy if a name crops up from under the radar of names we have been previously been linked with.

For me Souttar is the key domino to fall to avoid panic buying, as he's clearly a priority CB target we've pushed for.

If we can tighten up at the back by bringing in a CB to break up that Amartey x Faes partnership with a player who can positively impact our overall squad mentality and has the playing skill sets and personal qualities to improve our defence, I think that will make a remarkable difference. Souttar - on paper - feels a good fit to do that. Before you even consider those returning from injury, a backline of Castagne-Souttar-Faes-Kristiansen already feels better than Castagne-Amartey-Faes-Thomas. 

It also means we can sanction Soyuncu's supposed move to Atletico to bring in some funds (hopefully £2-3million) and save ourselves 6months of his wages. That'll help. We also swap out a player Rodgers doesn't want for one that he does. That'll help too. Finally, Amartey provides more reliable bench cover than Vestergaard.  

Yes, we also desperately need a RW and whilst I'd hate to miss out on a player of Tete/Gonzalez quality, I have significantly more faith in Perez / Albrighton to do a sufficient job at RW to keep us up than I do with Amartey / a disinterested and frozen out Soyuncu / Vestergaard at CB. I'd rather keep Perez for 6months and lose him for nothing than shoot our load on a panic buy CB because we can't stretch for a primary target like Souttar. I'd also be comfortable taking a loan at RW to assess a player if that meant finances allowed for a top target, first team ready CB to come in. 

If we don't get Souttar done soon/at all, and there are still reports that a deal for Tete is proving difficult that's when I'll really start panicking.

Depends,

If it's just chucking money at someone who is available without consideration as to whether they are any good, leave em where they are. 

If we perhaps go for a wildcard choice, someone who perhaps is more for the future rather than this year but clearly has the talent, then get em.in and give the squad that new vibe and see how it goes.

• Like 1

If its a panic buy if its low value player with potential in terms of a right winger or defender and they dont make it then fair enough.

If it a £40m winger panic buy on someone we havent done our homework on then no.

Not panic buy. But as others have said panic loan I would be onboard with as long as it’s not similar to  Bennett. 

In particular for the RW position there’s a host of RW’s we might be able to take on a 6 month loan. Ie. Madueke, Nelson or Hutchinson who would at least give us an option on the right hand side/ back up to Harvey. 

Edited by Foxes96

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

What if the plan is that Rodgers gets sacked in the summer (when it's cheaper) and a new manager is backed with signings to start a new era?

IMO this has been the clear plan for the club since the start of the season. We are clearly not backing this manager! The signings we have made will work for this or the next one. They likely didn't sack him in the summer because the new Head of Recruitment wasn't in yet. If you take emotion out of it and look at the pure business logic behind it, this approach makes sense. I don't agree with it myself, but I'm not the person funding the club. 

I run my own business and it's tough. People think it's easy to run a football club, but it really isn't. Once a bad decision is made, it has ramifications and you have to live with those ramifications for a while before you can fix them, even if you realise the error of your ways. 

It's still the same bloke doing the negotiations. It petrifies me that we have him attempting to recruit 10+ targets whoever they are, be it recommended by a good head of recruitment or a bad one. Rudkin seemingly finds it very difficult doing deals, even though we usually pay over the odds and pay big wages for their ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Panic buying is part of what got us into this mess - but the main problem is that we had to at all. The fact these are the two options is a damning indictment again on those involved in getting the deals done.

Inspite of all our recent success, we are not a glamorous club . In straight fights with many other clubs we have to pay more to attract players. We have done this , hence the massive wage bill. It seems the Thais have said no more. Therefore our targets will have to be downgraded. Is Tete a downgrade , I have no idea . He seems a decent player but even he will not be cheap. Rudkin should know this and not go in with silly offers.

It’s only panic buy because Leicester being Leicester seem to take an age for players to get over the line..

Any credible name linked, would have been on a scouting list for months…

it’s the end of the month, any new signings could have players 2/3 games already in Jan and helped our cause , but instead we have to pick players that we have been trying to get rid of fir the last 2/3 years..

we’re ****ed, panic buy or not 

1 minute ago, brookfox said:

Head: no buy.

Heart: please just buy anyone!

1 minute ago, brookfox said:

Head: no buy.

Heart: please just buy anyone!

I can't see us buying anyone as it stands ,we have till Tuesday  night ,just can't see it happening, I hope I'm wrong .

financially responsible panic buy for me. 

We are desperate for an option, even if they aren’t going to be a top player, a n extra option at rw will be an asset.  look at nathan dyer, wasn’t a good pick at all… but he had 2 crucial moments (the impact against southampton to get us back to 2-2 and the villa goal) 

if someone comes in and gets us a few points, then i’d take it at this stage. everyone laughed at me when i came back to the boga thread and mentioned how much better off we’d have been if we had got him on loan.. but he would have had an impact, even if he isn’t the right guy. 

Got to trust that our knowledge of players is good enough to potentially get someone with a few good assets in. 

There is the option that's less panic and more unplanned. There's bound to be players (maybe at bigger clubs) that currently aren't available or maybe outside our current budget/wage structure who for lots of reasons suddenly become available near deadline day. Spurs signing van der Vaart spring to mind. Again they need to be the right signing but without some new options on the wings in particular it could be a very tough second half of the season.