Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshie is God

No Buy vs Panic Buy

No Buy OR Panic Buy  

169 members have voted

1. 1. No Buy OR Panic Buy

• No Buy
    • Panic Buy

With there being lots of questions about our financial state and borrowing against future TV money, I'd much rather we stuck with what we have then splooge £35m on someone like Harrison which would be the definition of a panic buy at that amount. I like him and he's a good player but not for silly money like that.

Grey area, we are desperate for signings so in that sense there's panic in our actions of ensuring they are signed by the deadline.

If we've ran out of options and move on to players not really part of our careful and considered targets then it can obviously be a risk but there's probably been many examples of successful panic buys over the years.

No buy. Getting into financial trouble gets you into the point of no return. Even if we are in the Championship, with our facilities and recent success we can attract talent. 

Look at Brighton and Brentford. Arsenal even! Stick to the strategy and trust the process.

(Cringe I know)

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

After the summer we had, with only a 3rd choice GK and replacement for a deoarting first team player, January should have been busy for us. Glover was in post, our financial situation is better yet we're approaching panic buy territory. It's comically inept once again.

Top has to go if he won't replace Rudkin.

• Like 1

Two things

1. The perceived Panic buy is pretty normal these days due to shift of power within the game, so the panic moniker is a fan thing only I think
  2. Related to #1 but why the hell would (evil) agents want anything but a deadline day deal?

I'd take a panic buy because at least there's a possibility he may come good and provide an adequate contribution. 

With no buy, we're left in the same/similar rut as we are now. 

You could argue Faes was a panic buy at the end of the summer window. He's turned out alright and just needs someone competent next to him to be part of a solid defence. 

Panic buy may have greater risk, but then the reward could be higher too... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

No buy. Getting into financial trouble gets you into the point of no return. Even if we are in the Championship, with our facilities and recent success we can attract talent. 

Look at Brighton and Brentford. Arsenal even! Stick to the strategy and trust the process.

(Cringe I know)

I'll counteract this by saying, we risk financial ruin from relegation anyway and another thing to add is that let's say we do stay up, I've absolutely no faith we can make 10+ deals next summer that we need if we can't get a few deals across the line in January when we had all the weeks off during the World Cup to discuss with teams and we also have funds to spend.

These next few days make or break us IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll counteract this by saying, we risk financial ruin from relegation anyway and another thing to add is that let's say we do stay up, I've absolutely no faith we can make 10+ deals next summer that we need if we can't get a few deals across the line in January when we had all the weeks off during the World Cup to discuss with teams and we also have funds to spend.

These next few days make or break us IMO.

If we are in the Championship with parachute payments and tons of players off our wage bill, it will be fairly clean to assemble a new squad. Anyone that is still around will probably be at a level way too good for the Championship too. When we were last in it, it was brutal to get out of, but in recent years most teams that go down come straight back up again, or do it in two. Burnley are a good example of it being a positive for them, they were never going to play the sort of football they are now when in the Premier League. The opportunity to rebuild has helped them. 

Everton is the example to avoid. Tons of awful signings for too much money, they will be in dire straights when they go down. 

Who was our last panic signing? A certain Jannik Vestergaard...

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If we are in the Championship with parachute payments and tons of players off our wage bill, it will be fairly clean to assemble a new squad. Anyone that is still around will probably be at a level way too good for the Championship too. When we were last in it, it was brutal to get out of, but in recent years most teams that go down come straight back up again, or do it in two. Burnley are a good example of it being a positive for them, they were never going to play the sort of football they are now when in the Premier League. The opportunity to rebuild has helped them. 

Everton is the example to avoid. Tons of awful signings for too much money, they will be in dire straights when they go down. 

Who was our last panic signing? A certain Jannik Vestergaard...

I'm very scared about what's owed to this Australian bank, whatever parachute payments there are go to them for 2-3 years, so then we are having a fire sale and having to quickly rebuild and I repeat, we are atrocious at multiple transfers being completed in even a modest amount of time.

This window was an audition for what's to come and if we fail to get a couple more in then the possible ramifications is stark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm very scared about what's owed to this Australian bank, whatever parachute payments there are go to them for 2-3 years, so then we are having a fire sale and having to quickly rebuild and I repeat, we are atrocious at multiple transfers being completed in even a modest amount of time.

This window was an audition for what's to come and if we fail to get a couple more in then the possible ramifications is stark.

What if the plan is that Rodgers gets sacked in the summer (when it's cheaper) and a new manager is backed with signings to start a new era?

IMO this has been the clear plan for the club since the start of the season. We are clearly not backing this manager! The signings we have made will work for this or the next one. They likely didn't sack him in the summer because the new Head of Recruitment wasn't in yet. If you take emotion out of it and look at the pure business logic behind it, this approach makes sense. I don't agree with it myself, but I'm not the person funding the club. 

I run my own business and it's tough. People think it's easy to run a football club, but it really isn't. Once a bad decision is made, it has ramifications and you have to live with those ramifications for a while before you can fix them, even if you realise the error of your ways. 

• Like 1