Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Not convinced on Maresca, but then I'm not on Parker or Hoefkens either. If this is the best we can come up with, it's completely uninspiring.

Rudkin at his finest yet again, no doubt he dithered and circulated the opportunity  after relegation confirmed while most of them are on holiday instead of having preliminary talks 2 months ago. Useless tool.

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

Arteta is doing well now but his first two years at Arsenal was a bit of a train wreck. The articles I've read on Maresca looks like he also needs time and patience like Arsenal showed Arteta.

You’re right mate that is a worry, Parker managed to change Bournemouth style in a season though by all accounts so maybe the lack of quality in the championship allows you that little bit less pressure than the PL? So did Kompany with Burnley? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Glad it’s not just me on the doom and gloom train.

I wouldn't clas it as doom and gloom (though my lack of sleep won't help) but it's just what could realistically happen if we get it wrong/fail to go up this season. It's not going to be an easy watch, that's for sure 

Edited by fox_favourite

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

IF we appoint Maresca, we need to have the balls to see it through and not just sack him if we are mid table half way through the year, we can't expect the rebuild to start halfway up the wall

If we're struggling but seeing signs of a rebuild (personnel, player development, respecting our scouting, academy involvement, physios, sports science etc) then I'd be happy.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fansincethe80s said:

pretty sure he played in the CCC for West Brom, could be wrong.

No you're right, just had a look on Wikipedia. I didn't know he played for West Brom. He was there between 1998 and 2000, guessing either in the Premiership or in Div 1 just before the CCC was launched. Didn't recognise him in a West Brom shirt, the pictures I've seen he had full head of hair!

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

Pen in French is 'Puel'

This Italian surname of MARESCA was an occupational name for a marshall. The term was originally of Germanic origin MARAH (horse, mare) and SCALC (servant) which was originally applied to a man who looked after horses.

Appoint the Horse!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

This Italian surname of MARESCA was an occupational name for a marshall. The term was originally of Germanic origin MARAH (horse, mare) and SCALC (servant) which was originally applied to a man who looked after horses.

Appoint the Horse!

He'll do well to get these carthorses working

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

We are looking at someone who Celtic obviously didn't fancy, who are incidentally looking to appoint their/our old manager over him.

Let that just sink in for a moment.

Do you ever have anything positive to say whatsoever? lol 

Not my first choice by any means but shows we’re trying something different rather than the usual crap names we keep seeing pop up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23575009.enzo-maresca-celtic-parallel-ange-insider-lifts-lid-parma/

Good article if you want to feel

more positive about him. Went in and tried to create total football but wasn’t given the time to get a young squad up to speed. Sounds like he was building something that he didn’t get the patience to build. Maybe with a a full pre-season and a say on the type of player he needs you get things rolling from the off. 🤷‍♂️

Good to hear that the players really warmed to him. 

But isn’t that what Sousa tried? And it when Pete Tong….

45 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Lol have they not realised to play the Pep Guardiola way you need to spend hundreds of millions and have outstanding footballers, otherwise it’ll be how it was under Rodgers when it was turgid. 

Pep plays a high tempo aggressive game off the ball, that is massively different to Rodgers in that respect.

On the ball you may be correct. We need to play like a Klopp (or Rranieri!) team. That is English football.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fozdog said:

Appoint the Horse!

His first signings will be Nathan Trott and Sadia Mane...

I'd like to see Robert Huth appointed as his assistant. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Pep plays a high tempo aggressive game off the ball, that is massively different to Rodgers in that respect.

On the ball you may be correct. We need to play like a Klopp (or Rranieri!) team. That is English football.

Also massively disrespectful of Guardiola as a manger. He’s clearly a class above his peers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Hope Top and Co realise the need to win ugly at times in the Championship. Warming to Maresca as an option but don't want to see tippy tappy crap for the sake of it. 

Plus we can’t properly play tippy tappy. See last season’s goals conceded and our passing completion. Truly awful. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm not trying to defend the club as they've made monumental mistakes over the past 18 months or so. But I don't they can win with this appointment as we're not going to be appointing someone like Pep and Klopp. If they go for someone like Parker some of us (including me) will complain that it is uninspiring, unambitious and short term, even if  he "knows the Championship". Whereas if they go for someone like Maresca, there will be others who claim it is a massive risk as he lacks experience as a number 1, etc, even though there have equally been lots of calls for the club to think outside the box.

Let's face it neither option is perfect but that's what where we are as a club at the moment. I suppose I'm in the place where I want to dream, as Claudio might say; Maresca promises something unknown and exciting,  and his potential seems so much greater than the likes of Parker, so I would rather gamble on him. Yes he doesn't know the Championship but neither did Kompany who won it at a canter last season. Plus Kompany didn't have an amazing prior track record - he finished 11th in the Belgian league with the largest club in the country, Anderlecht. And he was successful in undertaking a full squad rebuild after Burnley's relegation, so it can be done. I would rather try to emulate that, which is what Maresca offers the chance to do. It's not even as if Kompany was a one off last season - Carrick also showed the impact that an assistant from a big club can have in their first managerial role at Championship level. So it's Maresca for me. 

Agreed. Although personally I think I’d go for a middle ground appointment that’s sort of in between Parker and Maresca. RvN would have been my top choice but not sure he’d come. Hutter should definitely be in contention too. 

• Like 1