Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

8 hours ago, brucey said:

Ipswich have a brilliant manager and excellent recruitment, which are the two most crucial elements, on top of the team spirit factor. They've bought and loaned well without spending much in the past few windows. Turning cast offs like Hirst into successes, and their recent January signings have got 15 goals combined. And when they get promoted, they'll have tons of money to spend on smart upgrades, and are likely to keep most/all their good loanees. 

A good manager and recruitment are both things that Leeds and Southampton don't have.. I think ours is OK currently, but we have the additional handicap of the point deduction/forced sales/limited buying funds.

Had a bit of a sick feeling watching that Cov-Ipswich game just now, which I think is my gut feeling that Ipswich could finish above us next season and send us down. Hope I'm wrong :dunno:

The thing Ipswich are sensational at is winning the big moments in games. Last night they could’ve buckled at 1-1, but they got straight back up after conceding and took advantage.

I have my doubts about them, I personally think without significant upgrades all around the pitch, they’ll get taken apart at Prem level, which will be sad for the players that got them there. Very few teams get promoted conceding more than a goal a game like they have, Norwich were the last in 2019 and did terribly the season after because they were still terrible defensively and the goals dried up. We know that players like Davis are great going forward and key to them, but he’s also horrendous defensively. 

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Enjoyed the shitting on Leeds, but I hope Saturday we celebrate us and not bother with the i predict a riot stuff much

It’s all Part of the fun 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The responses and quotes could be used to teach an important sexual health lesson.

A clitoris has more than 10,000 nerve endings, but it still isn't as sensitive as a Leeds fan who's just seen their team bottle automatic promotion.

I predict a riot

1 hour ago, VinceNoir said:

If we weren't involved in a promotion race with them, I'd have been rooting for Ipswich all season. What they've achieved is just incredible and they're laying the foundation for an excellent future. If they get over the line, I'm not so sure they'll just be fodder in the PL. They have a clear identity and there seems to be a real connection between the club, manager and fans. 

Fair play to them.

With their current wages and lack of debt they’ll also be in a good position to strengthen. 

The big question for them is if their style will work in the Premier League? They’ve already beaten some teams this season, suggesting it will, but they give up a lot of chances. Maybe if they sign better defenders they could address this, but maybe their style always leads to giving away chances?

The top league has changed a lot. Only Moyes and Dyche play safety first and Moyes will leave at the end of the season. This could work both for and against the teams coming up. I’m hoping we play more on the counter like we did against Southampton next season. Unlike the Championship, teams won’t park the bus and we could exploit teams that don’t respect us a bit like the first 5 months of 15/16. 

• Like 1

Shaping up to be a very tough play offs for all involved. On paper Leeds are the strongest of the four (finishing third!), but momentum can play a key factor so all to play for for all four teams. Personally I'm looking for three teams to be worse than us next season, so would prefer a West Brom/Norwich than a Leeds/Southampton to go up.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

The thing Ipswich are sensational at is winning the big moments in games. Last night they could’ve buckled at 1-1, but they got straight back up after conceding and took advantage.

I have my doubts about them, I personally think without significant upgrades all around the pitch, they’ll get taken apart at Prem level, which will be sad for the players that got them there. Very few teams get promoted conceding more than a goal a game like they have, Norwich were the last in 2019 and did terribly the season after because they were still terrible defensively and the goals dried up. We know that players like Davis are great going forward and key to them, but he’s also horrendous defensively. 

tbf Ipswich's defence is awful, I'd go as far to say its the worst in the top 6, 

theyve managed to out score teams this season which youve got to praise them for, but as you said, the step up will be massive, and theyll need better quality all around the pitch; they certainly wont be able to do the same tact as this season, 

its fair play to them, theyve done incredibly well this season and have rightly gone up 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Leeds fans just showing why their club is disliked by so many! Totally deluded!

Pleased for Ipswich - they deserve no 2 spot and their journey to the Premier League is one of the few highlights and stories which reminds all football fans why we love the game.

Edited by pkonline
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Weller Wing said:

Luton haven't done their nuts but have done themselves proud and haven't been battered that often.

Spending stupid money doesn't always work but having a good work ethic and a bit of togetherness can go along way as we found out not so long ago 

We will spend but suspect the targets are already identified.  I would think we will keep Hutchinson and Sarmiento at least for another season and possibly Travis.  Aside we will bring in sensibly rather than change the whole team as they work together as a unit

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

This should be fun. Wonder what song Kaiser Chiefs will finish with?

IMG_4206.jpeg

Hopefully we get Jersey on to belt out When You're Smiling.

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t get where leeds arrogance comes from, they’ve been shit and totally irrelevant for decades. As I kid they were an old division two team, had a brief spell of success in the 90’s and then back to a league 1, championship team. For me they’re a traditional 2nd tier team.

They’ve spent less time in the top flight than we have 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I don’t get where leeds arrogance comes from, they’ve been shit and totally irrelevant for decades. As I kid they were an old division two team, had a brief spell of success in the 90’s and then back to a league 1, championship team. For me they’re a traditional 2nd tier team.

I think they live in a bubble and genuinely have no idea how bad they look. Leeds is a massive city and it's a one club city - so they all just egg each other on with nobody to counter.

6 minutes ago, pkonline said:

I think they live in a bubble and genuinely have no idea how bad they look. Leeds is a massive city and it's a one club city - so they all just egg each other on with nobody to counter.

Yeah even their big rivalry is with a team who would probably consider them their third biggest rivals now, and they’ve barely played them since the 90’s anyway.

It is hilarious that they beat us and Ipswich twice each, 12-4 on aggregate and yet here we are. Wonderful. The bitterness must be off the scale. 

• Like 1

TOP TEN REASONS WHY LEEDS FANS ALWAYS ACTUALLY WANTED THE PLAYOFFS

letterman.JPG.1161cf2cdd359991cd4b5eabc0a140bd.JPG

- It’s only football, there are more important things in life you know

- You can get that ₤100 million through the playoffs too

- We may as well and try and enjoy it

- Totally agree, although I'm refusing to watch

- I enjoy the stress

- We always play well in the away leg

- The forum will not have to go into hibernation

- At the beginning of the season, the playoffs were my hopeful target

- Weekends without football are not the same

- There's no mythology to be made finishing second

( sincere thanks to the MOT posters  Leedsplayofffootball.JPG.9a3f3ac302cccded08993398a89f855a.JPG   who wrote all of those  lol )

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Kind of agree. I'm getting on now yet but in 40 odd of my 50 years, they've been out of the top flight. 

That said, their support base is undoubtedly huge and passionate. Certainly bigger than Chelsea or Man City (new overseas 'fans' excluded) . Maybe same base as Newcastle. And that has to be respected 

22 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Fair play to Ipswich if they get promoted alongside us, they have been worthy competitors, and to be above Southampton and Leeds is really commendable.

if they dont go up, id say its a massive bottle job:ph34r:

only need a point tho, so i fully expect them too

I am almost expecting it but wouldn't be surprised if Southampton hold Leeds or even beat them.

Either way, Ipswich have done this for 45 games, they will do it against an as good as relegated Huddersfield team.

Cov fans are disgusting. made all that noise and racket about selling out Wembley for a semi final. then get 20k at home to Ipswich. my lad commented "daddy, dont coventry people like football?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With Ipswich winning last night, the combined points of the top 3 now stands at 280. This equals the record set in 2013/14 when City were champions with 102 points. That season, Burnley were second on 93 and Derby were third with 85, although they failed to get promoted.

Another comparison with that season is City's overall record of results and goals, which are fairly similar, perhaps not unsurprisingly.

Then:  46/31/9/6/83/35/102

Now:   45/31/4/10/89/39/97