Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Castagne to Arsenal

A bit like Belgium really.

Showed promise but flatters to deceive.

Anything north of £15m and we’ve done okay.

Like others have stated, defends about as well as an inflatable dartboard.

Chop him in and loan Malo Gusto from Chelsea for next season. 

• Haha 1

Just now, HybridFox said:

I don't think he's been that great for us first season aside. Not sure he improves Arsenal either

I’m not convinced he was that great the first season really. He was a steady minimum 6 /10 every game though, whilst others were really inconsistent. Like many of our other players in this squad, he’s got flaws in his game that will stop him playing for an elite club. 

• Like 1

I will be absolutely amazed if we get anywhere next season. Sure, Castagne can go, but it seems most everyone is off. Ridiculous management AGAIN. Top needs to axe the entire fecking board and start acting like an owner who means business. This is a joke. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BKLFox said:

But Rodgers acknowledged that he’s better in that forward position it’s just that we never had Ricardo fit to sit behind him.

Start of the season Ricardo was going to be RB with Castagne RW but then Ricardo popped meaning TC had to drop.

We couldn’t really play with wingbacks because it meant dropping Barnes & putting Thomas there 🤷‍♂️ 

Playing Castagne on the wing from the start would've been utterly us. That's the kind of thing you get forced into by injury rather than by design.

• Like 2

Thought he’d be great for us after scoring (on his debut I think?) 

He just never seems to be that strong defensively. 
Okay going forward, but hardly a fully fit Ricardo. 

£12m+ is ok. He’ll be on big wages too. 

Bin him off. 

• Like 2

On 09/06/2023 at 19:04, Foxxed said:

I remeber Arsenal fans complaining we were nicking their potential signings-- they mentioned Soyuncu--and now we're selling one of our better players to them being relegated, in need of cash. Yay

...he has had a poor season, along with the rest of our squad!!!

He came here as a top player, looking to play in a certain position but due to circumstances he has been shunted all over the backline.

This season, we have watched him play our opponents on side, failed to know who was behind him at the far post and looked completely bemused.

Edu has brought in quality players for Arteta, who has used them well, if he sees Castagne as a player to enhance that team, then he is in good company. 

On 10/06/2023 at 06:35, LCFCJohn said:

I like that he seemed about the only one who could see through BR’s BS but kind of took it as a given he’d be off. 

He hasn’t really hit the heights we’d expect and we really need to go back to basics with defenders who can defend this coming season. 

...can you imagine going in every day and listening to Rodgers and feeling that you can't get away quick enough!!!

You would become worn down, and apathetic,  you are not going to show much, our any quality in your work.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...can you imagine going in every day and listening to Rodgers and feeling that you can't get away quick enough!!!

You would become worn down, and apathetic,  you are not going to show much, our any quality in your work.

This is true. It’s more the younger players I feel for. At least KDH and Iverson have been on loan. I feel for Thomas mostly as his whole career so far has been within the club.

Castagne is experienced enough to know what was going on and no wonder he will want away.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sly said:

I’m not convinced he was that great the first season really. He was a steady minimum 6 /10 every game though, whilst others were really inconsistent. Like many of our other players in this squad, he’s got flaws in his game that will stop him playing for an elite club. 

...have you noticed those flaws became bigger and bigger in his time here!!!

You just have to take a look at all the others around him,  whose qualities all but disappeared.

There is a reason for that.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Playing Castagne on the wing from the start would've been utterly us. That's the kind of thing you get forced into by injury rather than by design.

...is there any wonder that players became confused,  unable to fathom a new strategy that failed to play to anyone's strengths!!!

If you chose to play Ricardo at Right Back and Castagne ahead of him, surely you would have them in the wrong positions, as defensively Castagne is stronger and Ricardo is better as an attacking force. The fact that Castagne came here,  to play a certain position (and it certainly was not at Right Wing), would also have not helped his disposition. 

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Totally agree it would be forced, but forced due to finances & the fact we didn’t have an equal player for the left to balance WB’s.

How different is the attacking element of asking a player to play RWB (this forum suggests his best position) or RW 🤷‍♂️ 

Depends if you play as a wingback in a 343 or 352 I suppose. In the first you have a winger/forward in front of you to play off/with, in the latter you're the furthest forward wide option, so the onus is on you more to create and get higher up the pitch.

Never particularly rated Castagne. Good energy but doesn’t offer enough going forward and can be vulnerable defensively.

Decent rotation option in the PL but I’m quite surprised there is so much interest in him.

I did an article for an online account when we signed him saying he is a 6 7/10 player most of the time in Italy and got pelters when he started well. He barely even reached a 5/10 for the last 18 months but then again who hasn’t.

If we get what we paid for him we have done well.

• Like 1