Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

20 minutes ago, LestaLad said:

It’s very different buying these players in the PL compared to the championship.

Which is kind of Ric’s point.

He’d like see us go a bit more with a hungry, up coming vibe rather than overpaying for perceived as quality. Let the players improve and develop with your performance rather than stay at a ceiling. Players such as Ronnie Edwards, 20yr England youth international for example. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CosbehFox said:

Which is kind of Ric’s point.

He’d like see us go a bit more with a hungry, up coming vibe rather than overpaying for perceived as quality. Let the players improve and develop with your performance rather than stay at a ceiling. Players such as Ronnie Edwards, 20yr England youth international for example. 

you-cant-win-anything-with-kids-309759-1.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I'll undercard too.

I want Thracian out of retirement. We have unfinished business him and I

You might still find him down the fruit market.

Sort it out amongst the peaches and bananas  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

you-cant-win-anything-with-kids-309759-1.jpg

Seriously though, these sort of signings (more so Coady, however not the exact players I should stress) are the sort of signings we have lacked over the last few years where we have lacked cool heads, a bit of experience and leadership. Our fans are generally obsessed with only signing young players from abroad because they have resale value and then wonder why we bottle top four twice because said players are either soft and/or are surrounded by other softies. 

Personally I'm interested to see whether Coady can emulate what Wes Morgan did somewhat. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Justin, Souttar, Kristianson, Faes...  All up and coming vibe in our back 4 already, so not seeing the issue with adding Coady to replace Evans. 

We need a blend of youth and experience. Coady also offers leadership skills, which we have been massively short on. 

Which is a fair point. The criticism hasn’t been about their ability or their suitability. It’s aimed at them being poor deals. the value of leadership is difficult to pin down but we’ve managed to find it in this division before for comparably peanuts. 

If (I hope it’s not the case) we don’t go straight back up, we have two players difficult to get rid players on the books for 3 more years. 

3 minutes ago, Stinkenzo said:

Seriously though, these sort of signings (more so Coady, however not the exact players I should stress) are the sort of signings we have lacked over the last few years where we have lacked cool heads, a bit of experience and leadership. Our fans are generally obsessed with only signing young players from abroad because they have resale value and then wonder why we bottle top four twice because said players are either soft and/or are surrounded by other softies. 

Personally I'm interested to see whether Coady can emulate what Wes Morgan did somewhat. 

Which is the point some of us are making Morgan didn’t cost £7.5m. Neither did Huth or Wasyl. 

• Like 2

Which is the point some of us are making Morgan didn’t cost £7.5m. Neither did Huth or Wasyl. 

Pearson was a master at picking up experienced players cheap, usually on short term deals so that the club protected itself from worst case scenarios. The money that was invested was carefully spent on young talent with huge potential and increase in worth.

I agree this squad lacks certain experience and leadership, but pay through the nose and its a massive risk. We've also a horrendous record with such purchases in the last few years.

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Ryan Bennett? Does he better fit the profile ? 

perhaps wolves made a judgment that they had a bottom price or they’d keep the player for another season - it’s then down to us if we have decided he’s who we want 

I guess it’s a wait and see how these guys perform - what’s interesting from my perspective is that they seem to have had other options and they chose to come here.  Assume that’s partly because they feel they’re more likely to get regular football - hopefully they’re bought into ‘the project’

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pearson was a master at picking up experienced players cheap, usually on short term deals so that the club protected itself from worst case scenarios. The money that was invested was carefully spent on young talent with huge potential and increase in worth.

I agree this squad lacks certain experience and leadership, but pay through the nose and its a massive risk. We've also a horrendous record with such purchases in the last few years.

I’m hoping these are the two solid experienced players and the more exciting players like knockaert/Mahrez/vardys are to follow shortly after. Hopefully one is priroe!!

Which is a fair point. The criticism hasn’t been about their ability or their suitability. It’s aimed at them being poor deals. the value of leadership is difficult to pin down but we’ve managed to find it in this division before for comparably peanuts. 

If (I hope it’s not the case) we don’t go straight back up, we have two players difficult to get rid players on the books for 3 more years. 

Poor deals are not necessarily age related though. Up and coming players have no guarantee of reaching their potential, in fact, most don't. 

Is Ronnie Edwards better than Coady right now? No. Will he ever reach Coady's level? Unknown. 

I am all for signing players like Ronnie Edwards, but I also want us to get the balance right and Coady in my view, is a smart bit of business, and many in the game outside of this forum, are saying just that. 

If Evans was 30/31 and injury free, then I would question the Coady signing more, but he isn't and we have a huge lack of characters and leaders in our squad. Coady brings that, and also he is still a very decent player, especially at this level. 

I agree with other posters who say that often we look too much into age and resale value, rather than the bigger picture. Yes, we have been burned on players like Betrand and Vesteguard, but we have also been burned on players like Soumare, Faes. 'Up and coming' does not guarantee sell on value or a better deal. 

1 minute ago, Stinkenzo said:

So? Does that mean our budget to replace Jamie Vardy is 1m or else we're going about it the wrong way?

No it just means it’s a poor value deal. If your intention is to get promoted in year 1 and stay up in year 2, why spend £7.5m when £2.5 m could do it instead? 

And given the financial imbalance at the club currently, we can’t afford too many poor value deals to be unsuccessful hence the concerns of some. Particularly given the EFL’s FFP rules which might explain why we are pushing to get this done for this week. 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Ryan Bennett? Does he better fit the profile ? 

perhaps wolves made a judgment that they had a bottom price or they’d keep the player for another season - it’s then down to us if we have decided he’s who we want 

I guess it’s a wait and see how these guys perform - what’s interesting from my perspective is that they seem to have had other options and they chose to come here.  Assume that’s partly because they feel they’re more likely to get regular football - hopefully they’re bought into ‘the project’

Ryan Bennett was a poor footballer not capable of the role required of him. 

Just now, CosbehFox said:

No it just means it’s a poor value deal. If your intention is to get promoted in year 1 and stay up in year 2, why spend £7.5m when £2.5 m could do it instead? 

And given the financial imbalance at the club currently, we can’t afford too many poor value deals to be unsuccessful hence the concerns of some. Particularly given the EFL’s FFP rules which might explain why we are pushing to get this done for this week. 

Who could we get for £2.5m that could offer the experience, leadership, and quality that we are getting with Coady that we all know we absolutely require being brought back into the squad?

• Like 3

The wages concern me. Winks according to Google is on 50k a week ( might not be accurate)

I imagine we must be paying something similar. Plus no doubt he will have a clause that it goes up if we get promoted.

So thats maddison wage saving gone already on winks and coady.

The reason why we struggled to sign folk last summer was because of our ridiculous wage bill.

Just hope we aren't going to make the same mistake.

• Like 1