Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Was exactly who I started thinking of when I wondered where he would fit in. 

James is stronger, Winks is possibly a bit faster, but technically and style of play they're very comparable and definitely a cut above your average championship cm due to quality of first touch, quick feet and brain and two footedness. Won't cut it in the Prem though as both too physically lacking for different reasons. 

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But we shouldn't actually have been as reliant on goals from midfield as we were. The flip side is that we were creating criminally few chances for our strikers over the last eighteen odd months. 

If the team collectively can create more for whoever we end up starting up front then we don't need the bangers from Madders and Youri. 

This is the key for me. There's a lot of talk of us needing creativity from individuals. I agree that we will need to sign a few players who are capable of creating chances but what is more important is that systematically we create more chances as a team. Man City have world class talent but so many of their goals are systematic. Sterling scored loads of goals for them despite not being class finisher, he was just on the end of brilliant team moves. 

21 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

He's no longer wanted by Spurs, if nobody from the PL else is interested then he has to accept that he can no longer command big wages. He can stay at Spurs and rot or accept the pay offer we make. We don't have to match or even come close to what Spurs are paying. Rot/paycut/no pay are his options.

Or maybe he no longer wants to play for Spurs? Either way, it seems like he turned down interest from the PL and is prepared to drop into the EFL, which speaks volumes about his commitment and desire - he must clearly have been sold about KP2.0 

18 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Maybe he isn't playing the same as he did in the Poch years due to his injuries and it's affected him......just a thought 🤔

Wasn’t an issue at Sampdoria I though

Just now, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Oh come on......he missed 3 months and 14 games after he picked up an ankle injury....he didn't start until January this year!

Details, details. lol  (Sorry, my bad)

He has that operation to get it sorted now hasn’t he? Getting more injury prone crocks would be most unwelcome

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Wasn’t an issue at Sampdoria I though

He missed the first half of the season, but he had an operation to rectify the issue after which he then started the next 20 or so league games and finished the full 90 in pretty much all of  them

He had another small operation in May that was planned following his previous one to finish sorting the issue

• Like 2

Re: Winks injury record.

Seems to be well thought that his ankle surgery last season has sorted out his issues and he had a good run in the Sampdoria team after recovering from that (apparently played quite decently in an awful side there too!)

Of course, the only thing you can use to estimate future injuries is past history and his record isn't great but he's not the walking wounded.

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

He missed the first half of the season, but he had an operation to rectify the issue after which he then started the next 20 or so league games and finished the full 90 in pretty much all of  them

He had another small operation in May that was planned following his previous one to finish sorting the issue

To say I am not detailed orientated is the worlds largest understatement….

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Is he much different to mendy who would not have cost anything.

Sadly Mendy wasn't going to signing a new contract again. Left to rot by the poisoned dwarf and I don't blame him in getting out. We are where we are but I'd imagine if he stays fit he'll be a shoe in. 

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Oh come on......he missed 3 months and 14 games after he picked up an ankle injury....he didn't start until January this year!

From what I’ve seen he had surgery on it and appears to feel better with it since. Hopefully fixed the issue we can hope.

• Like 1

The fee of 10mil reported is a bit over the top.

Good player, but do we really need another smaller stature player right now. We want to get back to the Prem next season. The signings today, must work tomorrow. 

We need some physical presence. 

Not sure how much more different he is to Mendy. 

Just now, adamkhalifa said:

Good player, but do we really need another smaller stature player right now. We want to get back to the Prem next season. The signings today, must work tomorrow. 

It’s an initial fee of around £6m until add-ons kick in for promotion etc.

Two ways to look at it really £10m if we get promoted or you can look at it as £6m for the duration of our time in the championship. 

The latter is a bargain imo.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

James is stronger, Winks is possibly a bit faster, but technically and style of play they're very comparable and definitely a cut above your average championship cm due to quality of first touch, quick feet and brain and two footedness. Won't cut it in the Prem though as both too physically lacking for different reasons. 

Winks has made over 200 PL appearances and, until his form dipped under Mourinho, was considered a huge talent including doing a job on Real Madrid a few years back.   

So physically I think he has proven himself  fine in the prem.  

Edited by Bordersfox

2 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Winks has made over 200 PL appearances and, until his form dipped under Mourinho, was considered a huge talent including doing a job on Real Madrid a few years back.   

So physically I think he has proven himself  fine in the prem.  

He has 128 PL appearances and 73 starts in total. Just 34 PL appearances and 18 starts since the beginning of 2020/21.

10 minutes ago, adamkhalifa said:

Burnley didn't walk the championship last season with a team of thugs. We are also likely to have Coady and Souttar in our team. Hopefully those two can provide a real threat from set pieces.