Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Harry Winks

1 minute ago, adam said:

The wages concern me. Winks according to Google is on 50k a week ( might not be accurate)

I imagine we must be paying something similar. Plus no doubt he will have a clause that it goes up if we get promoted.

So thats maddison wage saving gone already on winks and coady.

The reason why we struggled to sign folk last summer was because of our ridiculous wage bill.

Just hope we aren't going to make the same mistake.

We've just had 7 first team players leave. It's like Mendy's wage. Look at it like that.

• Like 4

People might need to  get over the deals in the Pearson years, as the landscape has massively changed, the suitors have multiplied beyond measure, we are no longer the smartest guys in the room, as the room is full of smart guys now, guys (and gals) who have more to offer than us currently. The way Burnley operated, Sheff Utd with the loan deals looks like the future*, and it sounds like we will also get a couple of Man City youngsters after getting the experienced heads in.

* this is really grim, placing more and more power with the few

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Highest wage bill in the championship 😂🥺😭

Biggest transfer kitty. The worlds gone mad!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Who could we get for £2.5m that could offer the experience, leadership, and quality that we are getting with Coady that we all know we absolutely require being brought back into the squad?

Having a quick flick through the release list the following stand out:- Ashley Young, Pontus Jansson (albeit to Malmo), James McArthur, Phil Jones. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I think some folk are forgetting how crap our central midfield was last season. For all the technical ability that Tielemans has he was absolutely dire all season and a complete waste of a starting spot. Same can be said for N'didi and to a lesser extent Soumare. 

A fit and committed Winks who actually wants to play for the club will be a significant upgrade on all of those despite his limited ability in comparison. He may be a long way off a prime time Youri, but he's more than good enough for this league. Whilst he'll be on a sizeable contract by Championship standards I imagine that he'll be joining on less than all 3 of the above mentioned players and possibly even less than Mendy so from a cost perspective we're most probably achieving a saving. 

I'm struggling to think of many player's that we could have signed better than Winks from either the Championship or Premier League that could be secured for £10m. Yes, we could have spent double on an existing upcoming proven Championship midfielder but there's no guarantee that they'd necessarily make the step up to the Premier League. Whilst unspectacular we do at least know that Winks is capable of doing a job in the Premier League so I don't think it's a bad signing taking all things into consideration. 

No No No.  We should not have paid a penny more than £7,999,999!!! 

We have been robbed blind. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

No it just means it’s a poor value deal. If your intention is to get promoted in year 1 and stay up in year 2, why spend £7.5m when £2.5 m could do it instead? 

And given the financial imbalance at the club currently, we can’t afford too many poor value deals to be unsuccessful hence the concerns of some. Particularly given the EFL’s FFP rules which might explain why we are pushing to get this done for this week. 

So who is the 2.5m proven, heavily experienced England international (clutching at straws there I admit) with fantastic leader skills that we should be shopping for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Which is kind of Ric’s point.

He’d like see us go a bit more with a hungry, up coming vibe rather than overpaying for perceived as quality. Let the players improve and develop with your performance rather than stay at a ceiling. Players such as Ronnie Edwards, 20yr England youth international for example. 

But you need some experience to go with the youth. You can get both which is why these signings are 2 very good and necesssry pick-ups.

One thing we can all agree on, the lad is an absolute dreamboat.

My daughter is 9, has absolutely no idea who he is and told me earlier that Winks is now her favourite Leicester player...before he's even signed. 

• Haha 3