Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

Just now, eblair said:

Not sure about this Iversen revisionism. He won us points as a keeper and was capable of doing that. Ward wasn’t, doesn’t like Steffen is either

I don’t like the direction of travel of club atm, all the signings stink of repeated errors. Think we are a soft fan base as no way Rudkin survived at any other prem club for the footballing crimes we have committed 

What points did Iverson win? He’s absolute garbage. He was just less garbage than ward. As for the direction what do you want Maresca to do? Abandon his philosophy because the fans are a bit touchy? 

If he’s going to succeed he needs the tools to do his job, and keeping crap like Iverson around won’t do that, he filled a gap left by an even worse keeper last season. It’s a position we have to address otherwise Maresca’s plan could fall on its arse on day one. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What points did Iverson win? He’s absolute garbage. He was just less garbage than ward. As for the direction what do you want Maresca to do? Abandon his philosophy because the fans are a bit touchy? 

If he’s going to succeed he needs the tools to do his job, and keeping crap like Iverson around won’t do that, he filled a gap left by an even worse keeper last season. It’s a position we have to address otherwise Maresca’s plan could fall on its arse on day one. 

Everton at home and Leeds away. But he’s not amazing just a better shot stopper than ward.

• Like 2

Whatever happens, Steffan won’t be available for a couple months 

I could even see smithies starting the season if he’s good with his feet - look what happened with Steele at brighton.  I haven’t seen smithies so no idea 

I think enzo picks ward ahead of iverson because ward is a little more composed with the ball. 

i reckon the first month is going to be quite a roller coaster for a lot of our fans who won’t be happy with our playing style 

10 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Don't see this as a priority. Iversen is fine at this level and Smithies would probably be ok as a backup even if Ward goes :dunno:

...ot isn't his shot stopping that is the issue, it us his ability with the ball at his feet!!!

The ability to beat the press is integral to managers who wish to play a possession game. In a way it is akin to having an extra outfiekder on the pitch.

We have seen the situations countless times when we play and are attempting to pass it around at the back, in the end the ball goes to the keeper who hurriedly kicks it anywhere because he is being closed down under pressure. 

7 minutes ago, teblin said:

Everton at home and Leeds away. But he’s not amazing just a better shot stopper than ward.

Not saying much though is it? He still isn’t good enough unfortunately. He’s a 2 at best, you need a better all round game in this modern day and age. He will be replaced whether we like it or not, because Enzo has a particular style and he doesn’t fit that style. 

I do like Iverson and clearly he is a good goalkeeper at this level no matter what the negative ‘He’S sHiT’ brigade say.

But I can see that maybe he’d be suited to a team in this league less reliant on playing out from the back and we may then need someone different, otherwise Iverson would be hung out to dry by Maresca playing in a suicidal way.

But, this Steffan link, no thank you. £10mill and no doubt massive wages on a keeper who by all accounts can’t shot stop and is injured….

33 minutes ago, teblin said:

Guessing that smithies or Jakub Stolarczyk will fill in? 

Ward and iverson may be off?

I’m hoping Stolarczyk gets a good loan, I’d rather keep one of the current keepers as backup and have Stolarczyk playing every week at a good level 

4 minutes ago, eblair said:

Just nonsense stuff about Iversen. The Everton game was superb, he made 3 unreal saves. Was as good a game as Kasper ever had for us in a very important game

Having watched a keeper who doesn’t make saves why anyone thinks we should pay £8m for a top clubs 3rd choice keeper who doesn’t make saves is mad

Happy to be proven wrong, but very pessimistic about this. Look at Bazanu at Southampton as well 

This is nonsense….. so you’re saying Iverson was on par with Kasper in the FA cup final? Rubbish…. Iverson couldn’t sniff the sweat around Kaspers bollocks…. Losing Kasper just highlighted how much we needed him. Iverson had two half decent games, against sides that would struggle to finish in a brothel.

Iverson is an absolutely bang average goalkeeper… this idea he is anymore needs to be dropped. Plus, I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but he doesn’t fit in Maresca’s system, so he will be replaced. 

Plus, Steffen’s save % rate is actually better than Iversons, who’s stats are only marginally better than Ward’s.

Edited by Pliskin

29 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

...I  do not think that Iversen was helped greatly by the people around him, in the backline or in the midfield!!!

His ability on the ball is an issue, in as much as we do not play the game the way Maresca will seek to, but Iversen is tainted by what has been around him.

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

This is nonsense….. so you’re saying Iverson was on par with Kasper in the FA cup final? Rubbish…. Iverson couldn’t sniff the sweat around Kaspers bollocks…. Losing Kasper just highlighted how much we needed him. Iverson had two half decent games, against sides that would struggle to finish in a brothel.

Iverson is an absolutely bang average goalkeeper… this idea he is anymore needs to be dropped. Plus, I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but he doesn’t fit in Maresca’s system, so he will be replaced. 

Plus, Steffen’s save % rate is actually better than Iversons, who’s stats are only marginally better than Ward’s.

Use your eyes, Iversen’s performance against Everton was top class. Steffen’s save % in a league below with team who dominated possession, like comparing apples and pears

Comapre PNE fans on Iversen compared to Boro fans on Steffen

16 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Sorry but your comments on Iverson really do come across as personal dislike even if that’s not intended.

The argument of him not fitting the style we will play is fair, to comment on his distribution is fair, to say you think he’d not be good enough long term in the Premier League is fair.

But he’s clearly a very good Championship level goalkeeper whether that is for us or not. 

Spaffing £10mill on Steffan who looks like a slightly better Danny Ward would be shocking business.

• Like 1

Just now, Will1981 said:

we should ask Man City for Ortega on loan or use  Stolarczyk.

No chance on Ortega, he played in the cups for them last season I think

36 minutes ago, eblair said:

Use your eyes, Iversen’s performance against Everton was top class. Steffen’s save % in a league below with team who dominated possession, like comparing apples and pears

Comapre PNE fans on Iversen compared to Boro fans on Steffen

26 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Sorry but your comments on Iverson really do come across as personal dislike even if that’s not intended.

The argument of him not fitting the style we will play is fair, to comment on his distribution is fair, to say you think he’d not be good enough long term in the Premier League is fair.

But he’s clearly a very good Championship level goalkeeper whether that is for us or not. 

Spaffing £10mill on Steffan who looks like a slightly better Danny Ward would be shocking business.

I did use my eyes, and yes he made some decent saves in that game, but you keep bringing up one or two games? He replaced Ward for a good chunk of games and our defence only marginally improved. 

The back line was an issue, but he did contribute to that, he’s not as sound as a goalkeeper as you think. 

He would be a decent championship goalkeeper yes, however, his overall game just won’t fit what Maresca will want to do. I don’t understand why some fans (not you personally) are unable to see this, Iverson was only used last season because Ward was the absolute pits, otherwise he wouldn’t have got a sniff. Either argument, he isn’t what we need right now, and he will be replaced even if it’s Steffen or not. But let’s not forget Steffen spent a season on loan at a decent Boro team, Carrick saw fit to rely on him, so he must have something about him.   

The sad fact is, that iversen is decent but his lack of ability with his feet means that he is not best suited to a fast rotational system that it is supposed Maresca will want to deploy

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

In some of the highlights videos I watched, he appears to have a bad habit of when he makes a save, pushing the ball back out into the box, back into danger which often forces him to then make another... Would you say thats accurate?

Maybe sometimes but don't remember it being a huge problem, it's more like shots that I feel better keepers would save Steffen just stands still as if hes slow to react, makes them seem like wonder goals 

Watch Reading (A) and Rotherham (A) highlights to see what I mean, I might just be harsh on him who knows but I just feel he's pretty bad at saving those kind of low strikes from edge of/outside the box

He's better than Ward though for sure

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Iverson is a decent shot stopper but the worst kicking I’ve seen in a goal keeper.  He also can’t make a quick decision with what to do with the ball.  So many times he came and made a save and we were on for a counter and he would shut down, slowing the game completely to then kick it out.

£10m feels like a lot to pay for the luxury of a ball-playing goalkeeper, for a Championship club in need of a rebuild.

If we can get rid of Ward and get some money back there, then maybe. But I'd be surprised. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I say so. Stolarczyk is highly rated by the e club isn’t he? So I would imagine that he would be fine to step in as a two. We could probably sell Iverson in all fairness. Certain clubs would admire him!

Ward and Iversen were both highly rated by the club, I'm now very cynical of their judgement.