Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Remember when pep came into Man City and dumped joe hart because he wasn’t good enough with his feet?  Maresca will want his keeper to be playing effectively as an additional defender in possession to free up an extra  two on one and allow us to play through any press - I assume the plan will be for us to become very competent playing out this season, get promoted and then play the same way in the PL.  

iverson is a decent shot stopper but he looks like a rabbit in headlights with the ball at his feet 

Plus he will know the system already, IE who to distribute to and when. He will quite literally start attacks for us, so it's a key position in the team.

Iversen a bit unlucky, but it's a new manager with a new system and he has to be backed. 

'Steffen spent the whole of last season on loan at Boro, and played every single minute of action under Michael Carrick. While there some questionable goals conceded and some nervy moments playing out from the back, in general the USA international was an integral part of Carrick's style of play with his bravery and ball-playing ability.'

Anyone know any Boro fans? Curious what they think. 

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I have to agree that what you gain from playing Iversen in shot stopping, you lose out on plenty of other important attributes.

Maresca seems to be one who'll play a possession based system and so it's hard to envisage how Iversen will enable us to prosper in that regard. The lad should have plenty of suitors in the Championship though.

My gripe is that you don't actually gain all that much. His shot stopping wasn't great - was still pretty below average in the PL. Admittedly from a quite small number of games. Better shot stopper than Ward, but that is saying nothing at all.

Sounds like he’s had a good loan at Boro last season, but whenever I’ve seen him for Man City looked very shaky with the little he had to do for them. I’d rather back Iversen for a season in the championship and if we do get back up look at bringing in a better quality keeper then. I can understand Enzo’s thinking, but for me if we go up Steffen would be in the same position as Ward at the start of last season - a number 2 keeper who has had good loans in the championship, and we’d need to spend more money on another keeper. Of course it’s all it’s and buts 🤣! Just think we’d be better off spending the money elsewhere in the squad 

9 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

I say this as a big fan of Iversen, but I can see why we're bringing in Steffen. Iversen is obviously miles better than Ward and should have been number 1 from game 1 last season but his footwork really is poor, I'd go as far as to say it was abysmal at times. I've not seen loads of Steffen, admittedly, but I hear he's pretty good with his feet so I guess he's a better fit for the way Maresca plans to play.

Obviously it was a glorified friendly but I thought he looked decent when we played Man City in the charity shield back in 2021. I remember having never heard of the guy but then he has a decent game against us.

This is exactly my feelings on the situation, I was continually banging the drum for Iversen, however for me he has 2 weaknesses that will prevent him from becoming a top level keeper, distribution and commanding his area. On paper he looks more than good enough for a season in the championship however not when you consider that our new manager will want to play out from the back and a heavy reliance on the keeper being comfortable in possession, whilst Iversen is a very good shot stopper, he is never going to become a sweeper keeper and in terms of leadership and commanding his area I don’t see him turning into a Kaspar. 

You only have to look at his handling and distribution  in the Newcastle game to see that he has two glaring weaknesses that will prevent him from being a top level keeper and in reality mid/top half championship is probably his level if he is going be a regular starter and where he will end up playing most of his career unless he is happy to be a steady Eddie back up. 

I completely understand why Maresca is looking to bringing in a keeper, whilst we are in the championship, it is clear to see we have ambition to sign players that will be a level above this coming season but with an eye of being able to also contribute and compete back in the premier league, also our signings will be players who help transition to Enzo’s playing style and a sweeper keeper type is critical to that. 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri
  • Like 1

Iverson is ****ing rubbish, Maresca will not want him, and if we are going to play out from the back it would be suicide to play with Iverson. The hype around him has been generated because Ward is about as useful as a ball with tits. Iverson is a number two at best, he did an okay job last season, but he was still conceding easy goals and didn’t inspire confidence in the back line, just slightly more than Ward if anything. 

If we’re to play to Maresca’s strengths he goes. Steffen is a better goalkeeper than Iverson, his all round game is better. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Sick of hearing "playing out from the back" already

Let's call it localised distribution. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RW1 said:

Steffen has a phenomenal range of pass and js very very calm with the ball at his feet, sometimes too calm so expect your heart to fall out your a*** now and again

As an actual keeper I thought he was alright

Was very weak from crosses and got bullied by a man on him from corners at first, watch QPR (A) but as the season went on he vastly improved at both of these 

Shot stopping, he's not the worst not the best. He makes the comfortable saves but he'll rarely make the match winning saves in my opinion. He can have the odd very good game like Sheff Utd (A) but just as likely to be stood still watching a shot go in that a better keeper would save, personally I think he's slow and lethargic getting down for low strikes

For the money I don't think he's worth it as a shot stopper but for his ability to play out from the back and the system you guys will no doubt play its a decent signing

You'll think he's a decent keeper who's brilliant with his feet however on occasion you'll find yourself saying the keepers got to save that or he'll make the odd clanger in possession but overall? Not bad 

Bloody hell. An American danny ward.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Iverson is ****ing rubbish, Maresca will not want him, and if we are going to play out from the back it would be suicide to play with Iverson. The hype around him has been generated because Ward is about as useful as a ball with tits. Iverson is a number two at best, he did an okay job last season, but he was still conceding easy goals and didn’t inspire confidence in the back line, just slightly more than Ward if anything. 

If we’re to play to Maresca’s strengths he goes. Steffen is a better goalkeeper than Iverson, his all round game is better. 

He’s also statistically a better shot stopper. Iversen is 19th percentile for shot stopping, only marginally above Ward who is 12th percentile…. Iversen was an upgrade but he seemed better than he was due to contrast with Ward, who is very poor.

• Like 1

Admittedly I've seen very little of him but what I have seen is Pep play him and get knocked out of the FA cup for about 3 years in a row. He even made the exact same mistake in two semi finals in a row. Based on those matches I don't see how he's much of an improvement on Iversen.

6 hours ago, RW1 said:

Steffen has a phenomenal range of pass and js very very calm with the ball at his feet, sometimes too calm so expect your heart to fall out your a*** now and again

As an actual keeper I thought he was alright

Was very weak from crosses and got bullied by a man on him from corners at first, watch QPR (A) but as the season went on he vastly improved at both of these 

Shot stopping, he's not the worst not the best. He makes the comfortable saves but he'll rarely make the match winning saves in my opinion. He can have the odd very good game like Sheff Utd (A) but just as likely to be stood still watching a shot go in that a better keeper would save, personally I think he's slow and lethargic getting down for low strikes

For the money I don't think he's worth it as a shot stopper but for his ability to play out from the back and the system you guys will no doubt play its a decent signing

You'll think he's a decent keeper who's brilliant with his feet however on occasion you'll find yourself saying the keepers got to save that or he'll make the odd clanger in possession but overall? Not bad 

In some of the highlights videos I watched, he appears to have a bad habit of when he makes a save, pushing the ball back out into the box, back into danger which often forces him to then make another... Would you say thats accurate?

Iverson is a non-starter as a starter for the new regime, unfortunately for him.  He was okay (not great) after replacing Ward and I think he’s at least average as a shot-stopper.   But he’s a dumpster fire as far as distribution is concerned and there’s just no way someone who wants to implement the system Enzo presumably does can overlook that.  If he’s our #1 keeper when the season starts it’s just keeping the seat warm for Steffen or someone else who can play the way Enzo wants to play.

Edited by Deeg67

2 minutes ago, teblin said:

Guessing that smithies or Jakub Stolarczyk will fill in? 

Ward and iverson may be off?

I say so. Stolarczyk is highly rated by the e club isn’t he? So I would imagine that he would be fine to step in as a two. We could probably sell Iverson in all fairness. Certain clubs would admire him!

Not sure about this Iversen revisionism. He won us points as a keeper and was capable of doing that. Ward wasn’t capable, doesn’t like Steffen is either but he can kick a ball straight 

I don’t like the direction of travel of club atm, all the signings stink of repeated errors. Think we are a soft fan base as no way Rudkin survived at any other prem club for the footballing crimes we have committed 

Edited by eblair
  • Like 3