Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely Ward is done whatever happens.

Nope. Another long term contracted player that we cannot get rid off. Arise DoF….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Nope. Another long term contracted player that we cannot get rid off. Arise DoF….

Two years ain’t that long hopefully moves on loan does ok then someone buys when he has a year left 

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

You don't technically pass or fail a medical

It is more like a risk evaluation of a player

We signed Maddison whilst he had a knee injury for example

I said this to someone on here before and they fully refused to believe it

• Haha 1

Weird signing. Iverson made some ridiculous saves for us once he had settled in the first team. 

He was the best keeper in the Championship only a season ago. 

Great age and bided his time to become our No.1 and likely will only get better.

Any reviews from Boro fans on Steffen? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jruizc_ said:

Haven't found any written evidence of this but apparently we're set to complete this according to talkSport. I assume it's been said on the radio.

I’ve not seen many good comments about him so not the most excited but I’m sure the reason we wanted him is his ability to play out from the back and no doubt he would’ve been Enzo’s recommendation so I’m intrigued to see what he’s got

Edited by LestaLad

I take my daughter to play football. One of the other dads is a die hard boro fan. Says he was immense for them last season. He’s gutted they can’t afford the apparent £10m they were quoted. Told me this weeks ago, before we were even relegated 

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

I take my daughter to play football. One of the other dads is a die hard boro fan. Says he was immense for them last season. He’s gutted they can’t afford the apparent £10m they were quoted. Told me this weeks ago, before we were even relegated 

Heard likewise… but with the plan to play out from the back , it will come with the odd howler like he had at Boro 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Weird signing. Iverson made some ridiculous saves for us once he had settled in the first team. 

Great age and bided his time to become our No.1 and likely will only get better.

why i dont get the need for a new keeper atm, Iversen is more than able in the league, yeah his footwork is iffy at times but that can certainly be improved upon

no point laying out say £8/10mil when they could go elsewhere in the team

• Like 1

I say this as a big fan of Iversen, but I can see why we're bringing in Steffen. Iversen is obviously miles better than Ward and should have been number 1 from game 1 last season but his footwork really is poor, I'd go as far as to say it was abysmal at times. I've not seen loads of Steffen, admittedly, but I hear he's pretty good with his feet so I guess he's a better fit for the way Maresca plans to play.

Obviously it was a glorified friendly but I thought he looked decent when we played Man City in the charity shield back in 2021. I remember having never heard of the guy but then he has a decent game against us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rigga said:

Heard likewise… but with the plan to play out from the back , it will come with the odd howler like he had at Boro 

Yeah I've looked at their forum, weridly they were comparing passing stats to the likely replacement Dieng from QPR. He'll clearly tick that box but some also said he can have some howlers but on the whole did well in a team that finished 4th in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Yeah I've looked at their forum, weridly they were comparing passing stats to the likely replacement Dieng from QPR. He'll clearly tick that box but some also said he can have some howlers but on the whole did well in a team that finished 4th in the league. 

I have just read those very comments 👍

13 hours ago, filbertway said:

What's your thinking?

Especially considering the fella has already won a player of the season award at this level?

I just don’t rate him. He makes the odd good save, but his overall game is not great. His distribution is rancid, and you can’t have that if you’re going to ply out from the back. He’s also not actually that good of a shot stopper, he conceded some easy efforts that Ward would have been slammed for. Granted he made some good saves V Everton, but other than that he was largely unimpressive for me. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Problem is he couldn’t kick his own foot. Hard to imagine how bad he is with the ball at his feet. Would think with a lot of practice it would be an easy fix , but the new manager/staff will have watched most of his matches and thought he couldn’t improve. Rather the money was spent elsewhere myself, but I can indeed the resrvations

Just now, Claridge said:

Problem is he couldn’t kick his own foot. Hard to imagine how bad he is with the ball at his feet. Would think with a lot of practice it would be an easy fix , but the new manager/staff will have watched most of his matches and thought he couldn’t improve. Rather the money was spent elsewhere myself, but I can indeed the resrvations

Fair point. If Enzo does want to play similar to Pepball, then the keeper is essential in that system, in terms of acting as another ball player at the back, and first touch and distribution will likely need to be on point. Can't say I paid that much attention to Iverson in that regard, I just remember some great saves and what an upgrade on Ward he was. Very curious to hear what Boro fans think of Steffen

If Steffen injured for the first few games, is it possible that Stolarczyk could play those, knowing he'll be understudy/cup keeper when Steffen becomes available? If that kind of thing is made clear at the start of the season, it might not be as much of a problem for Stolarczyk.

21 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I just don’t rate him. He makes the odd good save, but his overall game is not great. His distribution is rancid, and you can’t have that if you’re going to ply out from the back. He’s also not actually that good of a shot stopper, he conceded some easy efforts that Ward would have been slammed for. Granted he made some good saves V Everton, but other than that he was largely unimpressive for me. 

This x 1000.

We were so used to seeing Ward that Iverson looked great but he really is just another average keeper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Remember when pep came into Man City and dumped joe hart because he wasn’t good enough with his feet?   

Yeah he put in Claudio Bravo who's probably still haunted by Vards lol

Edited by HybridFox