Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Zack Steffen

1 hour ago, RW1 said:

Maybe sometimes but don't remember it being a huge problem, it's more like shots that I feel better keepers would save Steffen just stands still as if hes slow to react, makes them seem like wonder goals 

Watch Reading (A) and Rotherham (A) highlights to see what I mean, I might just be harsh on him who knows but I just feel he's pretty bad at saving those kind of low strikes from edge of/outside the box

He's better than Ward though for sure

I'M better than Ward!

Seen this whilst looking at championship wages last year.

Goalkeeper Zack Steffen, who is on loan from Manchester City, is the highest-paid player at Middlesbrough. His weekly wage is £45,962, which is way more than the average weekly wage of £10,052 of the Middlesbrough squad.

The more I look into him the more I'm worried. Definitely has a mistake in him.

I'd much prefer us in for James Trafford from Man City - but dare I say it, I don't see much between Steffan and Ward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LVFox said:

The more I look into him the more I'm worried. Definitely has a mistake in him.

I'd much prefer us in for James Trafford from Man City - but dare I say it, I don't see much between Steffan and Ward.

Trafford is linked to Burnley for 15-20m. I doubt we would be able to get him. Suspect we may end up competing with Kompany’s connections at City for a number of their youth players. 

10 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Trafford is linked to Burnley for 15-20m. I doubt we would be able to get him. Suspect we may end up competing with Kompany’s connections at City for a number of their youth players. 

Yeah makes sense. I think that move comes too early for him in all honesty but can see us getting priced out and Trafford preferring PL football.

I can see the reasoning behind a ball playing goalkeeper but it's not Steffan for me.

1 hour ago, FoxesWalk said:

Players ready for the Premiership will go to Burnley, players who haven't proven they are ready could come to us. Don't think Arteta will get any loans from Manchester City though! :D

On 27/06/2023 at 13:39, The_77 said:

Good man, clearly doing whatever he can to fit in with the squad from day one. 

(Ref Steven Goff)

Not knowing how bad the damage was to Steffens cartilage but 3 Years back I had the same knee Opp ( mine was a 20mm long 1mm deep tear) and was up and back to normal in 6 to 7 weeks, not months.

He will also have the benefit of daily physio,and access to a medical team 24/7.

I didn't.

He's also only 28 and currently active playing sports.

I'm not active,and 20+ years his senior.

My point is don't be surprised if this deal goes through and he makes the tail end of preseason training.

• Like 4

For me shot stopping is king, rest is a bonus, as we discovered with Ward.

Really dont want us making the same mistake twice.

Man City get away with it as they can keep the ball pinned in the opponents half, Pep teams win it back from the front very efficiently.

22 hours ago, Nod.E said:

£10m feels like a lot to pay for the luxury of a ball-playing goalkeeper, for a Championship club in need of a rebuild.

If we can get rid of Ward and get some money back there, then maybe. But I'd be surprised. 

Iverson is one of the best keepers in the decision, I agree with you.

Edited by Chrysalis

On 29/06/2023 at 08:16, eblair said:

Not sure about this Iversen revisionism. He won us points as a keeper and was capable of doing that. Ward wasn’t capable, doesn’t like Steffen is either but he can kick a ball straight 

I don’t like the direction of travel of club atm, all the signings stink of repeated errors. Think we are a soft fan base as no way Rudkin survived at any other prem club for the footballing crimes we have committed 

Direction of club is wanting the fancy pass the ball around, the only recent manager who wasnt like that was only signed for a few weeks.  So its coming from the owner, hence what we seeing.  Problem is owner picks out a manager who plays this way, then really have to back the manager, finishing a keeper who is a good shot stopper and capable of distribution is very tricky I expect. 

I would like to see us start with Iverson, but if we looking for a keeper it seems we not happy and it has to be distribution.

Hopefully Enzo gives Iversen a chance in pre-season before resorting to bring in any one else.  It may be the Fee and wages can used better elsewhere for the squad.

We need to ship out one or more of the keepers for sure.   Otherwise, with a 25 man squad, we will end up with a highly paid un-registered keeper on our hands or loaning out and picking up the tab.

Right now, the DoF should be concentrating are downsizing the Keeper Pool as opposed to adding to it.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

For me shot stopping is king, rest is a bonus, as we discovered with Ward.

Man City get away with it as they can keep the ball pinned in the opponents half, Pep teams win it back from the front very efficiently.

This is the plan Stan ……

Edited by st albans fox

Kept my powder dry on this one so far, but now have to say, Iversen's kicking is absolutely shocking. As bad as I've ever seen. So many kicks straight out of play!

Can this be coached? Can we devise a system that lets us play out from the back, effectively?

I don't know. But it needs addressing urgently, or we replace him.

On 27/06/2023 at 15:21, Sambiasso said:

Definitely after a new keeper, Begovic was a name I heard a few weeks back. 

I didn't see this pal, and genuinely thought Begovic was the keeper as he has been released and fitted the experienced profile you mentioned. Nottingham Forest and Luton among clubs chasing former Everton goalkeeper Asmir Begovic (talksport.com) I wonder who the other championship club is probably Leeds?

10 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I wonder if Asmir Begovic was the mystery experienced keeper that @Sambiasso was alluding to.

Initial talks happened, all gone quiet from my end. He wants first team football, leadership and experience are the LCFC buzz words atm.

It will be a busy couple of weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sambiasso said:

Initial talks happened, all gone quiet from my end. He wants first team football, leadership and experience are the LCFC buzz words atm.

You would imagine he would get that here?, probably just weighing up his options, has he been shown around Seagrave I imagine he has a home in the Midlands?

8 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

I really hope we're not signing him on a 1st team basis...

40 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Kept my powder dry on this one so far, but now have to say, Iversen's kicking is absolutely shocking. As bad as I've ever seen. So many kicks straight out of play!

Can this be coached? Can we devise a system that lets us play out from the back, effectively?

I don't know. But it needs addressing urgently, or we replace him.

It can’t be coached imo

it’s basic footballing ability and as per quite a lot of keepers - he isn’t a footballer with his feet.  Watching a lot of youth football the past few years tells me that this is changing.   His decision making with the ball at his feet is also a problem - you can see his mind ticking over way too much - if we are intending playing out from the back then you need a good decision maker in goal who makes the pass quickly to allow the recipient as much time as possible before he’s closed down. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

You would imagine he would get that here?, probably just weighing up his options, has he been shown around Seagrave I imagine he has a home in the Midlands?

Does begovic have the technical ability Maresca would be looking for? I know he’s a good shot stopper just can’t really remember him with the ball at his feet.

• Like 1