Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Dave

Mads Hermansen

Can he catch the ball from corners and free-kicks though? He is short for a keeper! 

Loved Kasper, but that was a major flaw of his and this guy is smaller judging by pictures. 

We are going to face a lot more teams in the Championship that lump balls into the box, and we seem to have a real lack of height in midfield and defence at the moment, if we take out Vesta and Souttar, which I think is likely. Perhaps Souttar will start but not so sure. 

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate, hopefully he has a good leap on him and no problem! 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Can he catch the ball from corners and free-kicks though? He is short for a keeper! 

Loved Kasper, but that was a major flaw of his and this guy is smaller judging by pictures. 

We are going to face a lot more teams in the Championship that lump balls into the box, and we seem to have a real lack of height in midfield and defence at the moment, if we take out Vesta and Souttar, which I think is likely. Perhaps Souttar will start but not so sure. 

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate, hopefully he has a good leap on him and no problem! 

Sadly, I think that has been listed as one of the areas of his game that could be improved. That's why the price is £6M and he's being signed by a Championship club instead of Premier League one.

But he's young, and we could improve that area of his game. The argument is that the positives outweigh the negatives. We might also change the keeper based on who we are playing against and use Iversen / someone else if we play a more physical team.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Kevin Poole did OK for us and I think he is under 6ft

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Zelcko Kalac was over 6 ft tall and he couldn't catch a ball at all.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Nice. 

Obviously right footed but pinged some out with his left foot too. 

It's high risk but also high reward the more times we get it right. Yes, there may be a mistake or two, but I hope that wouldn't overshadow all the other stuff he'll be brought in to do that goes beyond shot-stopping - the ability to start moves or attacks will benefit us. 

Would be interesting to get a stat, though, on how many goals we conceded as a direct result of kasper, ward & iversen not being able to kick a ball to the sideline.

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

Height is no guarantee of aerial ability.  Vestergaard is a giant but can barely leave the ground, ndidi is 16cms shorter and can jump to far greater heights.

Yes but we are talking about goalkeepers, who have to reach. The club will no doubt be discussing his lack of inches , they know it could be important.

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Yes but we are talking about goalkeepers, who have to reach. The club will no doubt be discussing his lack of inches , they know it could be important.

Yes, but they don't reach from the ground, they reach whilst jumping - the difference in height is a few inches, the difference in vertical jump could be a foot or more.  We also need to factor in arm length, which is not always absolutely related to height.  So a few inches difference in height isn't the only or most important factor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

Yes, but they don't reach from the ground, they reach whilst jumping - the difference in height is a few inches, the difference in vertical jump could be a foot or more.  We also need to factor in arm length, which is not always absolutely related to height.  So a few inches difference in height isn't the only or most important factor.

Many a time , Kasper had his view blocked at corners by 6-4 defenders crowding him. Its a tactic you will always use against shorter goalkeepers. Iverson is obviously less vulnerable. Kasper often opted to stay on his line rather than go for the ball but he had genius reactions.

Banks, Shilton, Clemence, Zoff, Casillas, Jennings, Valdes all 'only' 6ft & they were fairly decent as was Barthez & he was under 6ft, i think as long as you can command your area & leap like a Salmon you'll be fine.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Many a time , Kasper had his view blocked at corners by 6-4 defenders crowding him. Its a tactic you will always use against shorter goalkeepers. Iverson is obviously less vulnerable. Kasper often opted to stay on his line rather than go for the ball but he had genius reactions.

Tbf, Iversen is a unit but he’s as timid as anyone on a corner or cross.

Newcastle pinpointed in the game at the end of the season resulted in a couple of goalmouth scrambles. They’d watch the tape on the error v Notts County last pre season and exploited it. 

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Kevin Poole did OK for us and I think he is under 6ft

The club had a gk trial day, my other half's nephew appled for a place and was rejected because his mum is only 5'3" (yes it actually had to go on the form). He's 12 and 5'11".

10 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

Iversen was not put in to the team earlier, because, despite being a great  shot stopper and general goalie, it later became evident he had only recently been introduced to kicking a football. 

And yet he can easily boot it from one penalty area to the other , a tactic that might be useful in the Championship now and again.