Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Wilfred Ndidi

• 2 weeks later...

He probably should have had a hat-trick today, which is not the first time we've said that!

I was delighted he got a goal, because after missing that easy tap-in and the one on one, he deserved something for his tireless work all game. He had a very good game and the average pitch positions showed that he was on average our furthest forward player today, showing not only his attacking runs, but willingness to press.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He probably should have had a hat-trick today, which is not the first time we've said that!

I was delighted he got a goal, because after missing that easy tap-in and the one on one, he deserved something for his tireless work all game. He had a very good game and the average pitch positions showed that he was on average our furthest forward player today, showing not only his attacking runs, but willingness to press.

That Leeds game would’ve been a different story if he played. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Hoping Nigeria bomb in the Afcon as we have nobody else in the squad who can offer anything like Wilf does in the role he's now playing. 

He’ll obviously play the role very differently, but if he can stay fit you’d hope that Praet can come in and do a good job covering Wilf.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wilf deserves an awful lot of credit for how he's adapted to his new role this season.

I wasn't surprised at him closing down well further up the pitch - and shouldn't have been surprised to see his athleticism and reading of the game in making good runs into space in attacking areas.

Those were qualities he needed  in his old, defensive role.

But, as the season has gone on, he seems to be improving in other, less familiar areas of his new role - better crossing, linking & spotting of teammates' runs, even better finishing (well, some of the time).

He already looks a very good attacking midfielder at Championship level.

If he stays and if we do go up (two big ifs), I wonder what role he'll play in the PL?

Playing against better defenders in a league where he and the team would get fewer chances, he'd have to up his game again to be a good attacking midfielder in the PL. But, given how he's adapted within a few months, I wouldn't bet against it.

On the other hand, it would also depend on how Enzo adapted his tactics and squad at a higher level. Winks has been superb for us this season, but I wonder if we'd need a stronger defensive presence alongside him at PL level.....such as Wilf?

I do think the centre of our defence would be vulnerable at PL level with current centre backs and Winks & Ricardo in front of them. I'm amazed Championship teams don't attack us more down the middle.

It's great to see Wilf thriving this season, though. He had 3-4 years as one of our best players, so it would've been a shame if his stint here had ended on a low, with his poor form around 2021-23. He comes across as a nice bloke, too, and it's always good to see longstanding players bounce back or thrive (loved Sharky's cameo on Saturday for the same reason). Hats off to Wilf for his astonishing adaptation this season. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for him - hopefully here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Said it last night but Ndidi should probably be our top scorer this season and sounds mad but over the course of the season he could have 20 goals given the chances he gets every game. Done enough to warrant a new contract for me, even if it's not first choice if we go up.

Tbh I think against teams in the top half, Wilf would probably be the right choice still due to his athleticism and pressing. But would be good to have a slightly more attacking option for him to rotate with, basically what Casadei should have been.

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Personally, he was my MOTM, though if you gave it to Fatawu I wouldn't hold it against you.

• In recent weeks, he's made that sublime cross with both left and right foot.
  • Tonight he dropped in deep at times to help the build up play.
  • Tirelessly makes the half-space run into the pocket, combining with Fatawu almost telepathically.
  • Wins the ball high up the field consistently.
  • Arrives in the box frequently
  • Works the keeper often
  • Scores, assists and gets involved.

My only criticism tonight is I think he should have bagged at least a goal. But if you don't make the runs, you won't score a goal, and Wilf made those runs all night long. Superb stuff :appl:

He did, two of them. Robbed of a delightful chip for the second...