Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trelleh

EFL Officiating Abomination Journal 23/24

I'll give them this - they've finally achieved consistency. They're consistently absolutely woeful. He was about the most biased against us we've had all season and that is some going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'll give them this - they've finally achieved consistency. They're consistently absolutely woeful. He was about the most biased against us we've had all season and that is some going.

Weird thing is he was so good earlier in the season. Maybe it was because we'd had Keith Stroud the game before that he looked so much better. You can't even say the crowd influenced him because that's the most passive I've ever heard the Sunderland lot at home.

I don't understand how he completely missed the scything challenge (was it on Mavididi? Can't remember) in the first half.

Given how he penalised almost every tackle we made I was amazed he didn't give a penalty at the end, but having seen the replays now he was right not to.

It seems consistency is an impossible ideal when the fans of the same club can't agree on a penalty.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

It seems consistency is an impossible ideal when the fans of the same club can't agree on a penalty.

Individual incidents will always be like that but look at the last two games overall, Saturday against QPR some of the tackles or blocks wouldn’t have been out of place if the game was played at Welford road, last night’s game it seemed contact between players wasn’t even allowed, the refereeing style was one extreme to the other 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Individual incidents will always be like that but look at the last two games overall, Saturday against QPR some of the tackles or blocks wouldn’t have been out of place if the game was played at Welford road, last night’s game it seemed contact between players wasn’t even allowed, the refereeing style was one extreme to the other 

Aye, I was shouting at the screen as much as anyone. I was just jesting after reading the thread and people's strong views on it one way or the other.

I was more annoyed at his continuous stopping of play and time wasting officialdom. 

• Like 1

Penalty call and highlights from Sky.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/leicester-city/13088240/should-sunderland-have-had-a-penalty-against-leicester

Not sure if you need to be a subscriber.

As for the penalty if you're pulled back why do you end up flying forwards?

12 hours ago, Fox forever said:

Got his first premier league game on Saturday 

So long as that box is ticked, Premier League are relentless this season after Sam Allison and Rebecca Welch now they've moved onto the first Asian lol

11 hours ago, studentofthegame said:

People calling that a dive are insane, we'd all be losing our mind if that was the other way around, he clearly gives him a pull to knock him off balance, he knows exactly what he's doing 

You are allowed to admit when you get lucky, not everything has to be viewed through biased eyes

Student of which game? Tiddlywinks?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, studentofthegame said:

People calling that a dive are insane, we'd all be losing our mind if that was the other way around, he clearly gives him a pull to knock him off balance, he knows exactly what he's doing 

You are allowed to admit when you get lucky, not everything has to be viewed through biased eyes

100% disagree. In real time I screamed at my tele shouting you diving t*at (Ballard not my tele), as I was convinced he'd dived. I've watched it back many times, and even a slowed down replay and I'm still 100% convinced its a dive. Hamza touches his shoulder, there is no push or pull. If he'd pulled him them how did he fall forwards? It was a pathetic theatrical dive to try and win his team a pen in the last second. Cant blame him for it, most players would do the same 

• Like 2

My final point on the pen. Even if it was (it 100% wasn't), then people say that decisions balance out over a season. We had blatant pens in other games not given, so fck em I say! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, studentofthegame said:

Most blatant dive you’ll ever see, actually looked like he’d been shot, from having an arm on his shoulder. Pathetic

Just now, purpleronnie said:

To me a dive is someone that wasnt touched, he was, he just went down theatrically which I never know why because it always looks fake when someone does.

There was contact but not enough to bring him down. He had the choice of staying on his feet (in which case he wouldn't have got the penalty) or throwing himself to the ground (which maybe gave him a small chance of getting a penalty). He chose the latter but executed it poorly, hence why the ref was unconvinced. Nobody falls like because of an arm over their shoulder.

I think half the reason the refs not given that is because of where the ball is.

His touch is poor, the ball is too far ahead of him and I think he knows he's fluffed the chance to get a shot away.

Contact is minimal and he flies forward. Common to see stuff like that given but that doesn't mean it's right, he's trying to buy a pen.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

To me a dive is someone that wasnt touched, he was, he just went down theatrically which I never know why because it always looks fake when someone does.

That's not how the rules work though. There's no rules on 'diving'. There are rules on 'simulation' and that has nothing to do with contact or not. You can simulate even if there was contact. 

Contact doesn't mean it's impossible for a situation to be a simulation/dive. 

Fact of the matter is we’ve seen these types of decisions be awarded even with VAR in the prem. when I saw Hamza put his hand on the shoulder I absolutely feared the worst. Just the touch itself gave me shivers. So when the ref didn’t give it I was elated! We can still debate whether it was or wasn’t but with this ref I thought we were screwed at that point. With all the travesty’s this season so glad we have a call in our favor for once. Thank you Mr Sunny Singh!

It's both obviously a dive but Choudhury took a bit of a chance putting his hand there. It was about the only thing the ref got right all game (bar the failure to book him).

If people genuinely don't think that's a dive we're living in a hilariously deluded time.

56 minutes ago, notnow john said:

Choudry gave the player an opportunity and he took it !

Brave of the ref.

Stupid from a poor player.

Not sure how the ref making the correct decision is seen as brave. Also not sure why you suggest Hamza is a poor player when he's actually been playing pretty well recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's both obviously a dive but Choudhury took a bit of a chance putting his hand there. It was about the only thing the ref got right all game (bar the failure to book him).

If people genuinely don't think that's a dive we're living in a hilariously deluded time.

To me a dive is where there's no contact and player still goes down. 

What the Sunderland player did above is just theatrical, and exaggerated. 

Choudhury puts his hand on him and slightly pulls him back. Not to say their player had to go down like that, but it's still a stupid risk to take from Choudhury. Another ref gives that and there's not really much we could moan about. We'd direct our anger to the ref but it's Hamza who gives the ref a choice to make. 

Ref doesn't book him because he probably sees the contact but it's not enough to warrant a foul. Which is ironic because loads of us, myself included, were berating him all game for all the soft fouls he was giving saying it's a contact sport lol

• Like 1

Chouds was really dumb in putting his hand on his shoulder but it was a really poor dive, if you're pulled back you do not fall like that, cheat got what he deserved, nothing.

19 hours ago, studentofthegame said:

Feel like it was similar to the one not given on KDH?  So at least there's some consistency there...