Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

What’s damning about it? 

It's a continuation of what Guillaume said on the WYS podcast. Essentially hinting that Enzo's not happy with the structure and quality of the off-the-field staff, that if it doesn't change we will be a yo-yo club and Enzo will not stick around for that

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Honestly :frusty:

Leeds and Southampton are pretty much on par with our squads and could argue even have better players in some positions. 

We can debate Enzo's style of play and entertainment value, but to say Enzo proved and achieved nothing by making us Champions, is just ridiculous. 

Our squad is old gold...  looks pretty, but VERY fragile

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

It's a continuation of what Guillaume said on the WYS podcast. Essentially hinting that Enzo's not happy with the structure and quality of the off-the-field staff, that if it doesn't change we will be a yo-yo club and Enzo will not stick around for that

He's not wrong. Most fans can see that and have for some time. 

Should it be pushed out into the media though? Nope. Hopefully, Enzo will keep it in house from now on. 

i think Enzo may be greasing the skids for an exit. Enzo ball will only work in the Premier League with that talent to play it and right now the club needs talent and may not be able to acquire it.  And if penalties etc are going to prevent a serious talent upgrade, Enzo probably shouldn't return.

Best to sort this out now.

3 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Leeds and Southampton are pretty much on par with our squads and could argue even have better players in some positions. 

We can debate Enzo's style of play and entertainment value, but to say Enzo proved and achieved nothing by making us Champions, is just ridiculous. 

Leeds, Leicester & Southampton were all pretty even at the start of the season so for Enzo to succeed over both  of those teams is an accomplishment.  He is obviously an ambitious man & if Leicester & Rudkin through incompetence can't or wont support him then I wouldn't blame him if he moved on. Top wants big time but has second class help running the show.

• Like 4

He’s done well in hitting the ground running. 

He needs a certain type of player and we don’t need to spend the earth to find them. We need a good scouting network. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sly said:

He’s done well in hitting the ground running. 

He needs a certain type of player and we don’t need to spend the earth to find them. We need a good scouting network. 

Hallelujah, completely agree, it’s not about spending big but investing and recruiting well for players who fit the profile. Hermansen, Maviddi, Fatawu and Yunus have  all come in without costing 20m+ each and are pretty good for Enzo ball, there is no reason we cannot find more players of this ilk moving forward difference is with premier league football on offer may open up new possibilities. 

• Like 1

Some bollocks on here. You only have to look at the wages compared to everyone else to see we were on cheat mode this season.

I repeat it is not an achievement of any note to get the MOST expensive squad in the history of the championship promoted.

Keeping us up next season will be. If Enzo doesn't have the stomach for a fight then off he ****s.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Let me ask you. If you were in charge would you expect to achieve promotion with the squad we have? I know I would. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

Some bollocks on here. You only have to look at the wages compared to everyone else to see we were on cheat mode this season.

I repeat it is not an achievement of any note to get the MOST expensive squad in the history of the championship promoted.

Keeping us up next season will be. If Enzo doesn't have the stomach for a fight then off he ****s.

Overpaying for crap does not make what you bought better. We overpaid for some non useful players, that’s why it’s the most expensive squad, not because it’s great. Teams is good, squad is average.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Wages don’t equal quality. Man U have the highest wage bill in the PL. Are they raking up titles every year?  Our board dished out huge salaries to a lot of players that didn’t deserve it, and we couldnt get rid. Our midfield was pretty average. 

To say it’s not an achievement to win this is ridiculous. There were 3 ex PL teams who saw themselves in the same position, and one of them won it. No matter what, it still has to be delivered over 46 games. 

4 England internationals in the squad and numerous others from all over the world.

Yes we lost Barnes, Madders, Tielemans among others but we the bought Coady, Winks, Mavadidi, Hermansson etc. for hefty money. We even bought an injured Cannon for £8m.

No one else has been able to get near what we have spent and who we bought in. For us not to go up would have been unthinkable. Do you think Peps achievement in winning the Prem is a bigger achievement than Ranieri for example?

It simply was expected that a squad so expensively put together SHOULD have gone straight back up. I am ecstatic we have done so but no one can tell me that it is any kind of achievement.

I see Guillem Balague is talking about Enzo’s future……..again. Getting a bit tired of him tbf.

Wonder if Top is listening tho….🤔

4 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

4 England internationals in the squad and numerous others from all over the world.

Yes we lost Barnes, Madders, Tielemans among others but we the bought Coady, Winks, Mavadidi, Hermansson etc. for hefty money. We even bought an injured Cannon for £8m.

No one else has been able to get near what we have spent and who we bought in. For us not to go up would have been unthinkable. Do you think Peps achievement in winning the Prem is a bigger achievement than Ranieri for example?

It simply was expected that a squad so expensively put together SHOULD have gone straight back up. I am ecstatic we have done so but no one can tell me that it is any kind of achievement.

There are no current England internationals in the squad. Mavididi / Fatawu / Mads / Cannon had no credentials at the highest level. The manager still had to make this work and build that team.

Our wages meant we had to go straight back up, but this genesis of this team were relegation bottlers.  How you've looked at it, Leeds / Southampton and us should have gone straight back up, yet only 1 of those has and only 1 other might. It is still an achievement. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

In simple terms, this is true, in reality there is way more to what a squad cost means. Maybe we need a metric for a transfer's useful value, as the likes of Ward, Soumare, Kristensen, Souttar, Daka, these don't scream value to me, and these are about 100m of these expensive squads you refer too. You can respond by saying that overpaying and buying the wrong players is our fault and of course it is, but we bought them, they contribute to this most expensive championship squad. Basically the squads value is not the full story. (Just ask Leicester 2015/16)

• Like 1

Just now, Chelmofox said:

There are no current England internationals in the squad. Mavididi / Fatawu / Mads / Cannon had no credentials at the highest level. The manager still had to make this work and build that team.

Our wages meant we had to go straight back up, but this genesis of this team were relegation bottlers.  How you've looked at it, Leeds / Southampton and us should have gone straight back up, yet only 1 of those has and only 1 other might. It is still an achievement. 

We were not at the highest level. Coady had been in England's world cup squad 6 months previously. Mavadidi was at some of the biggest clubs in Europe and had a great season at the top level in France. Cannon had scored a fair amount of goals on loan at Preston the previous season.

Yes Mads and Fatawu were relatively unknown (although I did mention Mads in the unheard of players thread) but come on. This squad was far too good for this division and we almost blew it.

24 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

We were not at the highest level. Coady had been in England's world cup squad 6 months previously. Mavadidi was at some of the biggest clubs in Europe and had a great season at the top level in France. Cannon had scored a fair amount of goals on loan at Preston the previous season.

Yes Mads and Fatawu were relatively unknown (although I did mention Mads in the unheard of players thread) but come on. This squad was far too good for this division and we almost blew it.

But top and bottom is we didn’t blow it. So Enzo deserves credit it wasn’t a foregone conclusion, however for context I think what McKenna has achieved with Ipswich tops what Enzo has achieved. 

Winning leagues isn’t easy regardless of squad values, wage costs etc, of course Enzo had a very squad to work with but he still had to find the right formula. 

Posted (edited)

I don’t mind the comments tbh, essentially calling out the quality of our boardroom and their decision making by doing so. Something I don’t remember happening from someone inside the club… and they definitely deserve to face the music. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

25 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

We almost blew it because of the level of competition and the mentality issue. 
had we not crumbled at elland road late on then I reckon we’d have been effectively promoted a month ago. 

The way the season has gone illustrates how painful this league is with the twice a week on so many occasions. The lack of rotation in feb and march meant that enzo didn't feel some players were sharp enough to bring in. I think he’d admit that was an error. Suspect he never thought it would become as tight as it did and he’d  have to continue to use the same starters through to game 44. 

1 hour ago, Basildon Fox said:

Just like we were in ‘cheat mode’ the year that we got relegated with top 10 wages? So much hindsight bias, most of the predictions at the start of the season were not automatic promotion as champions. As we started the season in an amazing way, expectations naturally changed. 

The FFP punishments clearly show the club isn’t being run properly, and he’s right to call out not being informed. Change is clearly needed, you’d be an ostrich 😉 to think otherwise. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

I will be amazed if he is in charge at the start of next season

Is that through what you know, or just how you think it will go? The players clearly love him, would be very damaging for him to go.