Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Sounded less than convincing in his interview on sky sports about being here next season. Mentioned doing what is best for the club. Maybe I’m reading too much into it but imo I don’t think he’ll be here. 

Quote from The Guardian,

“I am the most happy man in the world at this moment but because I am in charge of this club as ­manager, I need things to work well,” Maresca said. “Things happened this season that I didn’t like and I need clarity.”

Maybe the sense of euphoria will wear off sooner than some expect.

I don’t like the sound of that either. 

5 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Quote from The Guardian,

“I am the most happy man in the world at this moment but because I am in charge of this club as ­manager, I need things to work well,” Maresca said. “Things happened this season that I didn’t like and I need clarity.”

I mean his mate already said it on the BSLB podcast. If he’s not backed he’ll walk. I’m not sure we can give him what he wants given all surrounding the club.

4 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Quote from The Guardian,

I also thought his interview after was a bit strange when they asked him about next season. He seemed a bit guarded. 

Probably nothing, but I would also not be that shocked if he accepted an offer elsewhere. Surely, he stays though. The squad love him. 

I suspect the board weren't completely honest with him regarding financials and the Sensi deal falling through may be what he is talking about. 

• Like 3

Let's be honest fans have given him absolute S@#t over the last few months ( rightly or wrongly) , Over Enzoball and the style of play. He's done the job he was supposed to do got us promoted(as champions). Different managers bring different approaches and philosophy.  Time will tell if he's able to build a sufficient squad capable of sustainability in the Premier League.

16 minutes ago, Foxes99 said:

His style of play  and Tactics absolutely made for Spanish football and la liga. Big team like Seville does come, he’ll be gone. 

His former team as a player

So happy that he’s got his flowers tonight after some of the shit he’s got this season at times. 

On course for the most wins in a championship season, potentially 6 points off the points record in a season where there’s been 3 obscenely good teams, most goals scored in the league, least goals conceded.

Some have had some very reasonable complaints on here, others ought to be embarrassed. I said in that “Go on, admit you were wrong” thread that it could make entertaining reading in a few weeks and so it’s proved.

FWIW it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s not here come August so those people could get their way. If Sevilla come calling - It’s his old club, I believe his wife and family are from the city, as is the case with a few of his staff. Not only this - we could probably do with the money from a decent compensation package.

But thank you Enzo, you completed the job you were tasked with. And did it your way. Top man.

Edited by Aleksz
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Let's be honest fans have given him absolute S@#t over the last few months

Could be a factor weighing on his mind. He must feel a bit wronged by doing so well for us, but still taking so much heat for what now looks like a pretty minor wobble, with 100 points looking likely. 

I criticised him too though, and unfortunately, it is the same at most clubs. Just yesterday I was listening to a Spurs fan wanting Postecoglou sacked. 

I get the feeling that Enzo takes a lot to heart, and he will need to build some thick skin if he wants to be a top Manager for many years. 

I think he should stay and get his shot at the Premier League. A lot of the issues he had this season, could be mitigated by having a better quality squad of players. 

He needs to grow as a Manager as well though, and must be prepared to change things if they are not working. 

I suspect his slightly guarded responses tonight about Managing us next season, are down to two things - lack of honesty this season from the club about finances and how the Sensi deal was handled, and secondly, what budget will be available next season and how will sanctions/deductions likely impact his recruitment. 

He could take a job at an Italian or Spanish club this Summer and leave Leicester as a big success and with an exciting reputation, and avoid a potential relegation and sacking if our budget and points deduction, makes it so much harder to win games next season. I'd understand that to an extent. 

Hopefully, we will be able to spend and sign players and the deduction will be on the lower side. I'd like him to stay and take this positive end of the season into the summer and beyond. The players clearly love him and that alone can be a huge boost for a new season. 

• Like 2

Make no mistake he has done a fantastic job overall, lifted a club that was on its arse, inherited the most expensive squad in championship history, but that doesn’t make it an easy job or promotion a foregone conclusion. 

He has lifted the mentality, professionalism and most importantly the standards of

the club, he has created a squad that the fans love and that has certainly helped repair some of the damage of the last couple of seasons where the fan base and players/manager seemed somewhat detached. 

Yeah there have been some blips and bumps in the road along the way and in those instances Enzo has sometimes shown his lack of experience, in the same way us as fans, showed a lack of patience, a lot of fear and in some cases a hint of entitlement. 

On top of that he has had to contend with the financial issues and ramifications, our January window where we exited the month with a weaker squad and some real holes in the squad in key areas. He was definitely not given the full picture and that will have created further uncertainty and pressure. 

Whilst the style of play is very different from Pearson, the impact Enzo has had on our club is very similar, he has lifted the whole place, the squad clearly love him. We have special manager in place, who is doing his utmost to right the wrongs of previous regime(s). 

I really hope we can keep him in the summer and make the changes needed elsewhere in the club to give Enzo the best opportunity and chance to create our next generation. It hasn’t been perfect but bloody hell he has done a great job, look at 12 months ago and last night, absolute chalk and cheese. 

Another pre season, some clever recruitment, retain some key out of contract players and promotion of the very best of our academy prospects and it’s still a very exciting future, and I for one would rather see Enzo at the helm than start next season with a manager of the ilk of Scott Parker. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

There's very fair criticisms of him as a manager surrounding his game management, lack of proactivity in subs and squad rotation but fortunately they're all skills that managers develop with experience. What you just have or don't have is that motivational ability and the ability to create a bond between yourself, the players and the fans. The last few games in particular have shown he's got that in abundance. He needs to pick up the pace in learning game management next season or we'll be facing a Burnley style season but that connection with the fans and the players is gonna be massive.

This. Everyone’s delighted that we’re up, but when the good soldiers started to turn over the most basic of things, there’s a point to be made and should be listened to. Your post sums up the issues well.

The players obviously agreed as that meeting seems to have turned it all around for us. 

There was fair criticism at the time and if he felt pressure because of it and didn’t like it, do you really want to go and work around a Spanish press environment next?

A season keeping us up in the premier league with points deducted but showing you’ve learned from your arrogance will catapult him even further than Sevilla imo. Up to you, Enzo

• Like 1

To be fair, this could have easily been us:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ckr5yy29k82o

Enzo deserves massive credit for very quickly fixing the many, many problems that Brendan Rodgers left. He inherited a divided squad and he reunited it. Doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you've got a toxic dressing room culture, then your screwed. He did brilliantly to mend that so quickly.

I think @The Doctoris very fair to say that his in-game management needs to be better, but I also agree that he seems more than bright enough to fix that. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any concerns about how our style will fare in the PL, but he's passed a huge test in the past few weeks. I hope the board back him properly, where they can.

I don’t think he is necessarily asking for a load of money to strengthen the squad - just some transparency about where we are and what we can do.

Its clear Sensi was about to join until the last minute and there is no way the club would have briefed him that yeah we might get a load of points deducted and a transfer embargo because we are inept. 

• Like 1

Hand up time from me........I wanted him gone after plymouth and bristol city games.....he looked lost on the sidelines, no plan B and a rigidity to a playing style I personally don't like.....however it is clear that most players love him, when he and the players move forward with purpose we look a different side. I agree with views expressed on FT he is probably not happy about what he was told about the state of the clubs finances etc......I think even with a set of better players he will find it very tough in the prem.....However all that said he has achieved what he was asked to do so I applaud him unreservedly and say thank you.

10 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Quote from The Guardian,

The club is facing a points deduction and we have absolutely no idea what the financial future of the club is. 

It could be anything from the worst is already behind us, we eat a small points deduction but otherwise spend as normal and prepare for the Prem or it could be asset strip, sell everything of value, sign what loans we can, accept relegation and just try and bank the Prem & parachute money to rebuild in a few years. 

Literally none of us know and clearly, to an extent, that's including the players and manager at the moment. 

He's obviously going to be a bit cautious. 

I'm sure when the planning committee all come together to discuss the budget for next year and how we move forward, if they tell him we're going to be competitive next year and keep building then he'll be the manager for a while yet. 

But clearly when he turned up at one of the biggest clubs outside the Big Six in England and they immediately signed two England internationals for their second division campaign, he probably wasn't expecting to be blindsided by the financial mess that's appeared since. 

I just don't think there's much drama there or much point speculating at the moment, especially what he said in like his third language in an interview in which he was clearly struggling to hear the questions. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

There's very fair criticisms of him as a manager surrounding his game management, lack of proactivity in subs and squad rotation but fortunately they're all skills that managers develop with experience. What you just have or don't have is that motivational ability and the ability to create a bond between yourself, the players and the fans. The last few games in particular have shown he's got that in abundance. He needs to pick up the pace in learning game management next season or we'll be facing a Burnley style season but that connection with the fans and the players is gonna be massive.

Think the best thing we can do manager wise is bring in an experienced and respected assistant who can read the game and help Enzo with the areas he lacks.

7 minutes ago, westernpark said:

One of the main issues he had was the fact the club hierarchy had not told him about the financial problems until January. 

It's all speculation really. We don't know what he has or hasn't been told. Its likely he thinks he's been lied to, or he didn't do his own adequate due diligence, or the club genuinely was shocked when the PL started handing out points deductions and just assumed there would be fines.

Whatever, they all get in a room after Saturday and work out how they want to play it.  I don't think it will take long for us to know the outcome, and as the club have to get this preseason correct and get moving with transfers pretty sharpish. 

Dean Smith in the dug out for match 1?

• Sad 1

Okay, humble pie time.

I've been very critical of Enzo, I haven't liked his style of play since he arrived and I've slated him a fair amount.

I've not completely changed my opinion. I still question how successful this style of play will be with the squad we'd likely be able to assemble. I also think there was a slight tweak (less negative football) after the players chat that Vardy initiated.

But on the flip side, perhaps he did have a more difficult take than I gave him credit for with the destruction left by Rodgers.

I like how he's bonded with the players, I like his energy & how he seems like 'one of the lads'.

Still going to need some convincing to be 'Pro Enzo' but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

It's all speculation really. We don't know what he has or hasn't been told. Its likely he thinks he's been lied to, or he didn't do his own adequate due diligence, or the club genuinely was shocked when the PL started handing out points deductions and just assumed there would be fines.

Whatever, they all get in a room after Saturday and work out how they want to play it.  I don't think it will take long for us to know the outcome, and as the club have to get this preseason correct and get moving with transfers pretty sharpish. 

Dean Smith in the dug out for match 1?

I think unfortunately he knows he hasn’t been lied to, that it’s more likely incompetence on behalf of the club. I use evidence of what happened to Rodgers in the summer of 2022, to support that assertion. I see positives, he has praised Glover who hopefully is on the same page as Enzo, as to what players are suitable for his system. 
Fundamentally, I do not trust the club hierarchy to come up with a suitable plan to get the right number of players in due to finance restrictions.

So maybe you’re right about Dean!

Edited by westernpark
Repetition