Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup 2023/24

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If you're a non league/lower leagye side and draw Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal - you want to be playing away.

A potential giant-killing at home and then a replay away at the bigger side (potentially) is better, no? 

I'm not sure how scrapping replays is a positive thing for lower league clubs. All this does is just cater to the bigger sides (top 6)? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Tbf I’ve just seen that they’ve put the Fifth Round back to a weekend which is something at least. 

Until you realise they've now extended the "weekend" to be Friday-Wednesday lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Personally think they should have scrapped replays if playing against a team in the same division as yourself.

Nobody wants a replay if it's QPR - Birmingham; Wolves - Spurs etc.

If playing a team in a different division then replays should be kept as it's a money spinner for lower league teams.

Cvnts like Arteta and Klopp can complain all they like but you should be beating lower league opposition if you don't want a replay instead of playing a massively changed team

If your non league team and going into extra time they are guaranteed to struggle especially if there part time. Plus there bench will be less compared to a premier league teams.

Pretty much fixing to make sure certain teams get through.

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

If your non league team and going into extra time they are guaranteed to struggle especially if there part time. Plus there bench will be less compared to a premier league teams.

Pretty much fixing to make sure certain teams get through.

Surely giving the 'better' side a second chance to go through in a full match replay is more of an advantage? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

A potential giant-killing at home and then a replay away at the bigger side (potentially) is better, no? 

I'm not sure how scrapping replays is a positive thing for lower league clubs. All this does is just cater to the bigger sides (top 6)? 

Just speaking personally if Coalville drew Man U in the FA Cup - I'd much rather me club had the million pounds gate receipts to invest in the club and the chance to see my team playing at a massive stadium.

You're gonna be massive underdogs home or away - the experience of visiting a bigger team and the financial rewards are much better than bringing a team to your own ground in my opinion.

Ultimately it'll make little difference to the smaller clubs.

Very few clubs actually got replays away at big clubs in the last several years. They just don't happen enough to justify the extra games on the calendar. And if a small club is away at a Prem/Champ club then the attendances are generally poor any way and certainly don't sell out. 

Now, a small club has a chance of holding a bigger club to a draw at home, winning on penalties and then getting a big draw away in the next round. Plus the additional prize money you get for getting through to the next round. 

• Like 1

Remember these days? Not just a replay, not even a second replay, but a third replay :D

And still a decent crowd btw

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

The final before the end of the season is absolute shite.

It's all shite. All these things slowly chipping away at devaluing the oldest and best domestic cup competition in the world. Sad really...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Ultimately it'll make little difference to the smaller clubs.

Very few clubs actually got replays away at big clubs in the last several years. They just don't happen enough to justify the extra games on the calendar. And if a small club is away at a Prem/Champ club then the attendances are generally poor any way and certainly don't sell out. 

Now, a small club has a chance of holding a bigger club to a draw at home, winning on penalties and then getting a big draw away in the next round. Plus the additional prize money you get for getting through to the next round. 

Fair point but seems strange to scrap the replays  that don't even affect the Premier league clubs

And it seems it's to help those in Europe so not even all 20 teams in the league.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think if they're going to lose replays, they should incorporate  automatically having the lower league club play at home home (if 2 or more divisions below the opponent). So if a non-league side makes it to the 2nd or 3rd round, they're not facing a bigger club away, and can play them at home. 

Or League Two would by default play the tie at home if initially drawn as the away club against Championship/PL side. 

6 hours ago, filbertway said:

If you're a non league/lower leagye side and draw Man U/Liverpool/Arsenal - you want to be playing away.

Or give the lower league team the choice of playing home or away. 

• Like 3

I despise the FA and all the money grabbing changes simply for their own benefit. They utterly disregard the smaller teams in the lower leagues and simply want the cash cow of the PL. **** the rest of football. I also blame Sky and their ability to bribe.

21 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Well someone is telling porkies.

Not great when the powers that be are at each others throats.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/april/19/efl-statement--fa-cup-replays/

This is the start of a long process where there will be a separation of the bigger financial earning clubs and the rest. 

I'd happily see the richer clubs just go play in Europe. I'm not interested in any of them. They are killing the game and themselves they just don't realise it yet.