Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup 2023/24

7 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Yes but the problem is when it's 1 mm or very close, how can they be sure that the point of release of the pass is spot on. I thought the origonal point of VAR was to eliminate the howler i.e. the bloke is 5 yards offside but the ref doesn't give it.

Yup this is it, there was only 1 replay as wel looked dodgy imo

9 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Do we think people (outside of Cov itself) will talk about this ‘forever’?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68871206

No, thought not :rolleyes:

A bit like our 0-3 comeback in the play-off final. As great as it was, the ultimate result made it even worse. I often replay the Walshie and Claridge winners but never rewatch Thommo's equaliser due to the bad memories. 

I'd struggle to watch that back if I was a Cov fan.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Just seen the disallowed goal and the ‘offside line’. That is not offside! It just isn’t. Cov were robbed. I’d be beyond fuming if I was a Cov fan.

...And let's not forget that in some of the preceding rounds, VAR wasn't used at some grounds and it was at others!  So you'd be offside at Craven Cottage but onside at Barnsley!  Surely, the teams want a level playing field? You either Have VAR....or Scrap VAR ( in cup games ) IMO.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 19:35, bovril said:

Sorry I misunderstood your post and thought you meant the LCFC vs Cov rivalry had a sectarian element. 

I worded it badly and realised so soon after I posted it.

There are significant numbers of Irish and Welsh descendants in Coventry - not so much Leicester. There was an influx of many workers into Coventry during and after WW2 to the war factories and to rebuild a very damaged city. Sectarianism seems to have passed the Midlands by. I've never heard of rivalries based on religion in any other European country. You'd imagine Belgian clubs might but Walloons and Flemish are parted in seperate areas. Germany is basically divided into a Protestant north and Catholic south. I can't imagine though that Bayern München playing Borussia Dortmund excites much religious fervour.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 12:45, LCFCJohn said:

It wasn’t actually my intention to play it down, more the ‘will be talked about forever’ comment.

Whilst any comeback from 3-0 is memorable, let’s not pretend it was anything short of the worse Man Utd side for some time and the strongest Coventry side for generations.

For me, the likes of Wigan winning in the final against Man City or Barnsley beating Liverpool and Chelsea on the way to the semis are more memorable. But I suppose that is me looking at upsets not necessarily the spectacle of the game itself in which case yes it was that!

I cannot recall ever seeing a second tier side coming from 3 down against a top tier side in the top 7 of the division. It isn't even the strongest Coventry side for generations either, considering they lost their best two players in the summer and aren't even top 6 in the Championship. It was an incredible come back and will be talked about for years.

You call this the worse Man Utd side for some time yet they've now reached two consecutive FA Cup finals and also won the League Cup last season. 

56 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

David Squires. The only bit I disagree on is “denying us the funniest moment”. It was the funniest moment. 

IMG_4108.jpeg

IMO it was one of those nice situations where it was going to be funny either way - either the superiority complex of Man U and their fanbase is delivered a massive humiliating blow, or Cov and their fanbase get one of the finest moments of their history scrubbed away moments after it happened.

It was going to make for equally good viewing no matter the outcome, for me.

• 2 weeks later...