Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Favourite Christmas song

I have a new favourite. Didn't even realise it existed until yesterday.

By the sadly deceased Poly Styrene. formerly of X-Ray Spex....

Otherwise....Fairytale is a great song but I've heard it too often for now, so I'll go for "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses, followed by Slade (which, aged 11, I bought along with Wizzard, when they were first released).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I have a new favourite. Didn't even realise it existed until yesterday.

By the sadly deceased Poly Styrene. formerly of X-Ray Spex....

Otherwise....Fairytale is a great song but I've heard it too often for now, so I'll go for "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses, followed by Slade (which, aged 11, I bought along with Wizzard, when they were first released).

2 excellent shouts.  Poly Styrene isnt for everyone but imho an absolute genius. Germ Free Adolescents & Dreaming are fab.

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is my personal xmas fav. 

Not wanting to put a downer on things but sadly both Patty Donahue (Waitresses) & Marianne Elliott-Said (Poly Styrene) are no longer with us.

• Like 2

Around 1990, my folks bought a Christmas CD which they still have. I listened to it every single year growing up. It was always like "when can we listen to the Christmas CD."

The CD is obsolete of course but it still exists, reborn on my Apple Music and Spotify as a playlist - complete with album art - simply because the Christmas songs have to be listened to in that order. There is no other way. 

Anyway, Fairytale I've always found to be overplayed. For me it's Elton's "Step Into Christmas," and McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime" just gives me that nostalgia whack every time I hear it. 

There's loads of lesser known bangers though. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

Obv Fairytale of New york is high on the list but Spaceman came travelling by Chris De Burgh was always a fav of mine, if a bit left field. 

Recently though, Elton John and Ed Sheeran - Merry Christmas is fast making its way to my fav. 

On 22/11/2023 at 17:38, Fox92 said:

Elton John, 'Step Into Christmas', always my favourite.

But if I had to pick a song to define Christmas then I'd pick Wizzard 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday' which is also brilliant.

i find the whole concept of it being christmas every day absurd. you cannot go shopping, you cannot work, it just would not work and the song should be banished for this reason